Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,989,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
If you aren't receiving that spirit, you're kinda dead. Perhaps you're threatened by the exuberance and excitement and are not embodied enough and too threatened to appreciate how the spirit is moving through the physical vehicle (which includes the voice).
If you have an experience in a really good black church of this kind and aren't feeling it, i'd say you're not capable of feeling the spirit in a whole way.
"A regular speaking voice" ? What's regular? To who?
Your post isn't offensive it's just an indication of a lack of openness to a different kind of spiritual expression than you are used to and a lack of expansiveness and willingness and/or capacity to truly feel the spirit all the way down to your toes and in the very nucleus of your cells.
Uh.....yeah.....?!?! This has nothing to do with being threatened in any way. I had college professors who never yelled and screamed while lecturing on topics they were passionate about. Im just saying that when pastors/reverends yell and scream, they almost become parodies of themselves and of the sterotype you see in movies and from comedians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:03 PM

790 posts, read 4,021,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Uh.....yeah.....?!?! This has nothing to do with being threatened in any way. I had college professors who never yelled and screamed while lecturing on topics they were passionate about. Im just saying that when pastors/reverends yell and scream, they almost become parodies of themselves and of the sterotype you see in movies and from comedians.
Usually we're bothered or disturbed by what threatens us in some way.
I think that 1) you've probably never had the privilege of experiencing a really good black church and and that you're informed by the media in whatever form ... comedy, news, etc. and 2) you don't have an appreciation of the roots and history of the black church and lack an understanding of where they are coming from and what the essence of their particular expression of the love for Christ and the Spirit is.

If you haven't experienced that kind of fulfillment and expression of it, it's difficult to understand i suppose. And then, to add to that, if you've only been exposed to a few idiots that the media may expose, you've missed what it's about and can only make an assessment based on ... what's the opposite of "cream of the crop"? ... based on that.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,634 times
Quote:
I think that 1) you've probably never had the privilege of experiencing a really good black church and and that you're informed by the media in whatever form ... comedy, news, etc. and 2) you don't have an appreciation of the roots and history of the black church and lack an understanding of where they are coming from and what the essence of their particular expression of the love for Christ and the Spirit is.

If you haven't experienced that kind of fulfillment and expression of it, it's difficult to understand i suppose. And then, to add to that, if you've only been exposed to a few idiots that the media may expose, you've missed what it's about and can only make an assessment based on ... what's the opposite of "cream of the crop"? ... based on that.
Well, actually, it hardly matters if one person does not want to listen to a "screamed" sermon. That's fine.

What's potentially dangerous is to assume that there is necessarily something wrong with people who do attend/appreciate that type of church. Hopefully that's why the OP is asking - because there is confusion about why people like that style of church. But no history lesson is going to make anyone enjoy a screamed sermon if they just don't like them.

Personally, I don't want to endure a Christian sermon no matter who is delivering it or how they do it. In fact, most white Protestant pastors look like a funny stereotype or a parody of people like Pat Robertson to me. I find them comical. And that's fine, too - as long as I don't decide that there is something inherently wrong with anyone who likes to listen to them.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I can see your point from most of your post above from your point of view. However, as I mentioned before in an ealier post that you may have missed I am not threatened or disturbed in any way. Im just curious and really dont understand it.

Ive been to several "black churches" and they all seem to do the same thing. I just dont understand WHY? Most people who speak to an audience, will speak slowly and clearly to get their point across. Only football coaches get so animated and yell and scream to fire up their players before a game. Is that the goal or purpose? Again, Im just curious.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:28 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,583,788 times
It really just has to do w/ their culture. Every race and walk of life has its own dynamic, after all. Jerry Lee Lewis sure preferred black churches. He said he felt the holy spirit more there...but that is because he was a musician, I think.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
What's potentially dangerous is to assume that there is necessarily something wrong with people who do attend/appreciate that type of church. Hopefully that's why the OP is asking - because there is confusion about why people like that style of church.
It has nothing to do with the people who attend these types of churches. I am not at all saying there is something wrong with people who attend/appreciate these types of churces. I was just wondering why those who preach at these types of churches have to shout, rhyme and grunt. Thats all.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:44 PM

790 posts, read 4,021,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycew02 View Post
It's called....... PASSION!
Yeah, passion, joy, exuberance .... being filled with the Spirit and allowing it to move you without the repressive restraints of prudish puritanism with its deep conflicts and shame regarding the body, sex, expression, etc., etc.. and separates spirit from body/matter.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,262,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Right.

The so-called "screamin' churches" aren't so much "black churches" as those who have their roots in certain sects of Protestant Evangelicalism that sprang from the Great Awakening, mostly in the South. Go to any Pentecostal church, be it black, white, or multi-racial, and you'll see the same thing.
A friend took me to a Pentecostal church years ago, and yeah, there was screaming going on. People (mostly white people) waving their hands, Amen-ing, talking back at the preacher. I felt most uncomfortable in this setting and was more than happy to get out of there, which leads me to understand why someone raised in this worship style wouldn't like my traditional church. Different strokes...

Old 06-05-2008, 02:45 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,077,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
A friend took me to a Pentecostal church years ago, and yeah, there was screaming going on. People (mostly white people) waving their hands, Amen-ing, talking back at the preacher. I felt most uncomfortable in this setting and was more than happy to get out of there, which leads me to understand why someone raised in this worship style wouldn't like my traditional church. Different strokes...
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans.

But they got, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

Everybody's got a special kind of story
Everybody finds a way to shine,
It don't matter that you got not alot
So what,
They'll have theirs, and you'll have yours, and I'll have mine.
And together we'll be fine....

Because it takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.
Yes it does.
It takes, Diff'rent Strokes to move the world.

sorry.. i've just had this song in my head all day.. :-)

Old 06-05-2008, 02:51 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,206,259 times
Quote:
Ive been to several "black churches" and they all seem to do the same thing. I just dont understand WHY? Most people who speak to an audience, will speak slowly and clearly to get their point across. Only football coaches get so animated and yell and scream to fire up their players before a game. Is that the goal or purpose? Again, Im just curious.
Hi, I was raised in a black congregation that did not do a lot of yelling in the delivery of the sermons and I have been to black congregations who did. I have been to mostly white congregations who had white preachers who did yelling also. Some people respond more to these types of deliveries and some respond more to the laid back type sermons. There isn't anything wrong with it and I believe that it can be another way to encourage people to get fired up for the Lord. Those who are use to this type of delivery might walk into one of the more laid back deliveries and wonder why there might seem to them to be no passion or emotion being expressed. I believe that God is pleased with both types as long as it is an expression of worship in the right spirit. I think that the post regarding how slaves were able to express themselves in this way through their worship gives a lot of insight. Thanks and God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality