Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 06:11 PM

383 posts, read 181,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostolicFlightAttendant View Post
Its not just a black thing, white church's as well as other nationalities do the same thing. Here are some scriptures to help understand why we do what we do.

We pray together aloud because in the Bible we read, "They lifted up their voice to God with one accord" (Acts 4:24).
We lift our hands in praise because in the Bible we read, "Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord" (Psalm 134:2).
We sing with all our hearts because in the Bible we read, "Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise" (Psalm 98:4).
We play musical instruments because in the Bible we read, "And all the house of Israel played before the LORD on all manner of instruments" (2 Samuel 6:5).
We clap and shout unto God because in the Bible we read, "O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph" (Psalm 47:1).
We dance before the LORD because in the Bible we read, "Praise Him with the timbrel and dance: praise Him with stringed instruments and organs" (Psalm 150:4).
We testify publicly because in the Bible we read, "I will declare thy name unto my brethren; in the midst of the congregation will I praise thee" (Psalm 22:22).
We anoint with oil for divine healing because in the Bible we read, "Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord" (James 5:14).
We allow the operation of the spiritual gifts because in the Bible we read, "When ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation" (1 Corinthians 14:26).

Hope that helps.

If that were the case, wouldn't more white churches do so? Either way, I don't believe all black churches do. I've only experience with Pentecostal, but pretty much everyone there was wild. Curious about black Catholic services, or even Orthodox (if they exist)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 07:01 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
All such questions implicitly ask why others are different. It's a dumb (and often bigoted) question, but a perennial one.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:06 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perennial millennial View Post
If that were the case, wouldn't more white churches do so? Either way, I don't believe all black churches do. I've only experience with Pentecostal, but pretty much everyone there was wild. Curious about black Catholic services, or even Orthodox (if they exist)!
I have been to a couple of black Anglican/Episcopal churches. As a matter of fact, US Presiding Bishop Michael Curry, who performed the royal wedding ceremony for Harry and Meghan, is black. Black Episcopalians and Anglicans worship like white Episcopalians/Anglicans.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have been to a couple of black Anglican/Episcopal churches. As a matter of fact, US Presiding Bishop Michael Curry, who performed the royal wedding ceremony for Harry and Meghan, is black. Black Episcopalians and Anglicans worship like white Episcopalians/Anglicans.
The Episcopal church in the town near where I use to live was about almost half white and half black, but included and was welcoming of people of any ethnicity or nationality.

My Friend here runs a history black church and I have been there several times including to help out with charity events. The people are the most friendly, most welcoming congregation I have ever met. And I have travelled the world, worshipped with and explored with all types of religions, groups, sects, cults etc....SO that is quite the statement

And While I disagree with much of their theology, from the existence of God on down, I am highly supportive of the way that they have formed a charitable ministry for the community, one that would make Mormons and Catholics envious because of the way they network with the community outside of the religion...and as a result, many people have clothes, food and hope that they would not have had otherwise.

I was thinking about the loud worship services. We are taught in school that when dealing with clients of certain races, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, to approach them with an open mind and a desire to help but we have to have an understanding of traditions, lifestyles, and even restrictions when dealing with people of certain cultures. Many tribes and descendants of African American culture value the open expression of emotions. Asians for example are often are more stoic, and if sad or happy may be more likely not to show it.
SO what I see are balck people in a church that are so overflowing with Happiness and Excitement to be together that it overflows in the shouting, singing, clapping, that are seen in the service. IT is the opposite of the Episcopal mass of which I became a fan long ago...it is a service based on emotion, the emotions of love, forgiveness and an aura of hope...hope that , as I was told, evolved from a repressed, enslaved populace that had religion as the only allowable and legal outlet to vent to give them hope and some idea of freedom. I think more than anything, that was the origin. What I see now are people who are happy, who love each other and as I said, I have not encountered anything except being welcomed and accepted there even though I am , and always will be, just another whitey....

Old 10-12-2022, 12:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I found the Episcopal eucharist moving (in a quiet way) despite myself. It is a finely honed ritual the evokes a sense of connection to Christians both present and past (and by implication, future). But yes us "whiteys" tend to want to be moved internally in ways that aren't on display. We're raised to see that as unseemly attention-seeking and inappropriate in many contexts. That doesn't of course mean that we're right by any stretch.

Old 10-12-2022, 01:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I found the Episcopal eucharist moving (in a quiet way) despite myself. It is a finely honed ritual the evokes a sense of connection to Christians both present and past (and by implication, future). But yes us "whiteys" tend to want to be moved internally in ways that aren't on display. We're raised to see that as unseemly attention-seeking and inappropriate in many contexts. That doesn't of course mean that we're right by any stretch.
I agree. I always visit the Episcopal church during the Advent season. I especially like the Midnight Mass that they celebrate Christmas Eve. The Epsicopal church has in many ways done a better job of preserving the ancient Roman mass than the Catholic church has, so I have been told and shown in a few cases. Regardless, the Episcopal Eucharist is what I like

Old 10-12-2022, 07:35 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
The Episcopal church in the town near where I use to live was about almost half white and half black, but included and was welcoming of people of any ethnicity or nationality.

My Friend here runs a history black church and I have been there several times including to help out with charity events. The people are the most friendly, most welcoming congregation I have ever met. And I have travelled the world, worshipped with and explored with all types of religions, groups, sects, cults etc....SO that is quite the statement

And While I disagree with much of their theology, from the existence of God on down, I am highly supportive of the way that they have formed a charitable ministry for the community, one that would make Mormons and Catholics envious because of the way they network with the community outside of the religion...and as a result, many people have clothes, food and hope that they would not have had otherwise.

I was thinking about the loud worship services. We are taught in school that when dealing with clients of certain races, religions, ethnicities, nationalities, to approach them with an open mind and a desire to help but we have to have an understanding of traditions, lifestyles, and even restrictions when dealing with people of certain cultures. Many tribes and descendants of African American culture value the open expression of emotions. Asians for example are often are more stoic, and if sad or happy may be more likely not to show it.
SO what I see are balck people in a church that are so overflowing with Happiness and Excitement to be together that it overflows in the shouting, singing, clapping, that are seen in the service. IT is the opposite of the Episcopal mass of which I became a fan long ago...it is a service based on emotion, the emotions of love, forgiveness and an aura of hope...hope that , as I was told, evolved from a repressed, enslaved populace that had religion as the only allowable and legal outlet to vent to give them hope and some idea of freedom. I think more than anything, that was the origin. What I see now are people who are happy, who love each other and as I said, I have not encountered anything except being welcomed and accepted there even though I am , and always will be, just another whitey....
If I didn't know better, I'd think you were talking about St.Thomas in Red Bank, NJ. They started a soup kitchen decades ago that has grown into its own organization, a community outreach with a food pantry, job assistance, distribution of clothing with a specific sub group collecting business attire for people who might land an office job but can't afford the clothes they need to dress for it. Red Bank is a town with some wealth on one side, some poverty on the other, mostly Mexican immigrants, and a long-established black middle class. (Count Basie was from Red Bank, and there is a theater named for him.) Lunch Break is well-supported.

Yes, even in the Episcopal Church, the black churches have better music! Our Hymnal is dull as heck, but there is an alternate called Lift Every Voice And Sing with more traditional American Black gospel music.

Old 10-13-2022, 10:37 AM

10,483 posts, read 6,999,249 times
I've never been to a black church, but I bet they're interesting. I used to drive by one in Bergen County, NJ on Sundays after service let out, and I will say that the attendees really wore their Sunday's best, all of them looked great.

I'm assuming the screaming, shouting is more cultural than anything else and there is nothing wrong with that in God's eyes.

Old 10-13-2022, 12:00 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I've never been to a black church, but I bet they're interesting. I used to drive by one in Bergen County, NJ on Sundays after service let out, and I will say that the attendees really wore their Sunday's best, all of them looked great.

I'm assuming the screaming, shouting is more cultural than anything else and there is nothing wrong with that in God's eyes.
The last time I went to a Black church was for a funeral of one of our teaching assistants. I did think it was very interesting and quite moving, but I think many of my methodist and catholic friends would have been...taken aback. It would be good for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality