Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 10:03 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Each time you're reborn, you have free will to do what ever you want. I know this because I have free will. What I do not have free will over is my own death.
But if we live the same life over again, then we do not have free will.

So which is it, we live the same life over again or we can change that life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 10:05 AM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Quote:
Each time you're reborn, you have free will to do what ever you want. I know this because I have free will. What I do not have free will over is my own death.

Since our bodies break down over time, we have to die in order to live again for we are biological entities.

I do not remember any of my previous lives. But that is because there is nothing to remember. How can you remember anything from your past lives if you can't even remember your birth? You die and restart over in the life that you are living right now.

Now even though I do not remember my birth, what you and I 100% do know what happened is that we were born on a specific date at a specific time. What you and I DO 100% know is that we WILL die on a specific date at a specific time.

If you think about it, you know both of these events will occur at specific times. You do not however remember your birth, nor will you remember your death. There is a reason we do not remember either of these, yet know they both happen.

We have no free will over our birth nor do we have free will over our death.
I remember my birth. Now what?

Old 04-07-2024, 03:20 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Quote:
I often wonder why a lot of people have a hard time grasping this. I mean at the end of the day, you are who you are. You are living as the person you are right now.

Who's to say that if you were born on December 19th 1980, that when you die, you will be born again on that same exact date to do it all over again?

A lot of people want proof of the afterlife, but what about the proof that you are living as the person that you are right now? Is that not proof enough?

I truly do not understand where this poster is going w/ this. There is plenty of scientific proof that we are alive. When we die, there is plenty of scientific proof that we are dead. There is NO proof of any kind whatsoever that we are reincarnated. If the poster has proof of this, let's see it.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Just to be clear, are you speaking of reincarnation, or is it more of a Bill Murray's Groundhog Day type thing going on? (Which would be more of a Groundhog Life)
If the latter, the universe would owe far too much in royalties to Harold Ramis’ estate. The idea just isn’t feasible from an economic perspective.

Old 04-07-2024, 04:32 PM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I truly do not understand where this poster is going w/ this. There is plenty of scientific proof that we are alive. When we die, there is plenty of scientific proof that we are dead. There is NO proof of any kind whatsoever that we are reincarnated. If the poster has proof of this, let's see it.
I disagree.

The smartest scientist we know said time didnt even exist, the past is present and so is the future. There are people building worlds and not just rich geniuses, I mean normal people are helping the building of worlds.

You are convinced you are real, and I am convinced we are real, but I say it's only opinion. We have come so mv. far so fast that we are unleashing Pandora's box and dint even known it. If we continue for 200 more years in this exponential advance in technology, what will we be able to do?

If you were in some world that somebody created, would you know it?

I am convinced that I am alive, but I am also convinced that my life could not be any different than it is, and I mean as if it was a book written by somebody and I will play out this role just as it was written.

Biblically, I could give a pretty argument how God knew me before this earth ever was.

Old 04-08-2024, 08:51 AM

328 posts, read 262,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
But if we live the same life over again, then we do not have free will.

So which is it, we live the same life over again or we can change that life?
I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:23 AM

16,756 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking.
If we live the same life over and over, as the title says, each life would be identical. But you then say we can change events by choosing, so each life would be different? I presume you mean the second option, I just wanted to be sure what you were asking.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:39 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
This is one of those matters that can't be proved (or dismissed) at this time among the current living, and is left to personally review or ponder. Some love to quickly close the door on thought, as though they are so smart and intelligent, and not give any chance for further understanding / potential understanding. While others leave the door open for continuous review, insight, input, and fine-tuning.

No way to say right or wrong when it comes to humanity. People will do as they feel led. Better to just respect the different approaches, and hopefully feel positive and confident with your choices. The rest is freedom. Demanding that there is eternal and repetitive life is just as fixed and rigid as saying nothing is possible. Maybe there are other possibilities and hybrids.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:46 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I think maybe you and I have similar misgivings about this thread. Or at least let me tell you what mine is...and it's a general issue with lots of threads on this forum:

stating personal beliefs as facts

I do lean toward reincarnation. I do think I had one past life experience.
On the other hand, I can offer no evidence to either.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:47 AM

22,140 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
This is one of those matters that can't be proved (or dismissed) at this time among the current living, and is left to personally review or ponder. Some love to quickly close the door on thought, as though they are so smart and intelligent, and not give any chance for further understanding / potential understanding. While others leave the door open for continuous review, insight, input, and fine-tuning.

No way to say right or wrong when it comes to humanity. People will do as they feel led. Better to just respect the different approaches, and hopefully feel positive and confident with your choices. The rest is freedom. Demanding that there is eternal and repetitive life is just as fixed and rigid as saying nothing is possible. Maybe there are other possibilities and hybrids.
yes.
useful insights here and practical wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality