Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 03:08 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
During an NDE many Indians report meeting the Hindu king of the dead, Yamraj, while Americans often claim to have met Jesus. Children typically describe encountering friends and teachers "in the light".
https://www.sciencealert.com/experts...th-experiences

These are called hallucinations, simple as that.
agreed

as a Buddhist, I certainly don't expect to meet Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 06:50 PM

156 posts, read 27,581 times
Do you think those who had the NDE were already looking for some kind of answer or revelation in their lives?

Old 04-03-2024, 07:15 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Do you think those who had the NDE were already looking for some kind of answer or revelation in their lives?
Since NDEs occur in the midst of unplanned existential crises, I would be loathe to suggest that. What they could be is somewhat analogous to dream states where the brain sort of rambles about in the subconscious and it could be that IF an NDE occurs, especially with any awareness of the peril being experienced, it could be akin to other similar experiences that have been described by people in such situations -- such as "your whole life passing before you". Maybe it is a way of processing what is happening.

Also it's well known that there is often a massive surge of brainwave activity in people who are dying, and even a surge of physical activity where for a brief period when death is nigh, the person seems to be improving and might for instance sit up in a chair for awhile when they have been bedridden for some time. Neither phenomenon is exactly / exclusively holding on to life or fighting death so much as sort of integrating or reconciling the two, in my view. Between deaths in my family and volunteering with hospice, that is the sense I have gotten anyway.

So maybe whatever content this surge in brainwave activity has can be remembered after the fact if you are revived soon enough. That is one possible explanation for NDEs. I have no idea if it's correct -- just a possibility.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Ahhh

Old 04-04-2024, 10:21 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Souls....... It may sound crazy, but this is what my research has led me to.

I've studied cases of 4268 individuals that were clinically dead and brought back to life.

2326 were male and 1942 were female.

Out of the 4268 individuals, only 1790 had reported to have had an NDE.

Of the 1790 individuals, 1071 were individuals under the age of 18. 513 were individuals between the ages of 19 and 30 and the remaining 206 were individuals over the age of 30.

My findings are a lot more extensive, but this is the jist of it. Just made it simple so I don't want people getting bored reading all of what I have researched.
How have you been doing your research?

Old 04-04-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
I have looked at a few studies and watched a Ted Talk by an emergency physician who collected data on it.He question anyone he though may of had a NDE not all had them and he collected a lot of data.He found many similarities and that it would match each persons religion but not always. Basically he said in all of them you may or may not have a out of body experience looking down on yourself then you would proceed down a tunnel and when you got to the end a possible life review and then you would be met by family members or in many a Being of light who radiates love. Your told its not your time and sent back. If you cross that line your dead and not coming back. There are actually many studies on this and they are continuing to collect data. Those doing the research such as this Doctor and he is a Neurosurgeon believe it to be true.His own profession denies it but he has changed his mind.
Eben Alexander?

Old 04-04-2024, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul888 View Post
Well your entitled to your opinion and thats all it is.Better than think all you are is intelligent meat that takes a lot of faith.
The 'intelligent meat' does have evidence, so it is the opposite of faith.

All you have are anecdotes from people that experienced something they usually do not experience, so they only have their cultural background to use to construct an experience.

Also, your position presumes a soul, but how can a soul see without eyes, or hear without ears? If you want to argue they do have eyes and ears, what are they made from? How does a soul maintain a constant existence?

Old 04-04-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I do not. I think they are constructed after the event by a mind trying to understand something it usually does not experience, and based on the cultural background of the person having the experience.

Old 04-04-2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
How have you been doing your research?
Thank you...I wondered that, too.

Old 04-04-2024, 03:45 PM

156 posts, read 27,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I do not. I think they are constructed after the event by a mind trying to understand something it usually does not experience, and based on the cultural background of the person having the experience.
Why couldn't it be something like a revelatory dream. Which I believe can come from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality