Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 04:06 PM

1,341 posts, read 656,696 times

Advertisements

There have been stories and testimonies on how patients who were declared dead and then came back to life
after several minutes. The person then tells a perfect explanation of who was in the room, the time on the clock, what the doctors in the room were doing, etc. while they were declared dead.

Any explanations behind how Near Death Experiences work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 04:41 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,000,237 times
I don't have any scientific explanation, although people tend to have experiences that relate to the type of religion that is prevalent in the society in which they live.
Many irreligious people have seen Hellfire and torment, and seen the total opposite as well.
Of course the most common is the "bright light", which people associate with an eternal peace and God.
I have never really studied NDE's outside of western cultures, whereby I have watched countless Youtube videos, so it would be interesting to see what they have experienced as well.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:11 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
There have been stories and testimonies on how patients who were declared dead and then came back to life
after several minutes. The person then tells a perfect explanation of who was in the room, the time on the clock, what the doctors in the room were doing, etc. while they were declared dead.

Any explanations behind how Near Death Experiences work?
Wikipedia
Near Death Experience

A near-death experience (NDE) is a personal experience associated with death or impending death. Such experiences may encompass a variety of sensations including detachment from the body, feelings of levitation, total serenity, security, warmth, the experience of absolute dissolution, and the presence of a light.[1] NDEs are a recognized part of some transcendental and religious beliefs in an afterlife.

Different models have been described to explain NDEs. Neuroscience research suggests that an NDE is a subjective phenomenon resulting from "disturbed bodily multisensory integration" that occurs during life-threatening events.

Low oxygen levels (and G-LOC) model

Low oxygen levels in the blood (hypoxia or anoxia) have been hypothesized to induce hallucinations and hence possibly explain NDEs.[14][5] This is because low oxygen levels characterize life-threatening situations and also by the apparent similarities between NDEs and G-force induced loss of consciousness (G-LOC) episodes.

These episodes are observed with fighter pilots experiencing very rapid and intense acceleration that result in lack of sufficient blood supply to the brain. Whinnery[66] studied almost 1000 cases and noted how the experiences often involved "tunnel vision and bright lights, floating sensations, automatic movement, autoscopy, OBEs, not wanting to be disturbed, paralysis, vivid dreamlets of beautiful places, pleasurable sensations, psychological alterations of euphoria and dissociation, inclusion of friends and family, inclusion of prior memories and thoughts, the experience being very memorable (when it can be remembered), confabulation, and a strong urge to understand the experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

NDE's are a type of hallucination that sometimes occur when the brain is being starved for oxygen. The old standard for death was when the heart stopped beating. When the heart stops beating, the brain becomes starved for oxygen. This eventually kills the brain. But the brain can continue having activity an extended period before the cells of the brain completely deteriorate. If the person is revived, and does not die from the event, they sometimes report having vivid memories.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:19 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
I think its the brains of people shutting down and using whats in that brain. some memories gets jarred lose and other are mix when the "awake controls" are removed, like dreaming.

The feel of "utter content" makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint. "freaking out" out in a bad situation can lead to mistakes while calming down gives one the best chance to get out of it.

Old 04-07-2020, 05:27 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Eban Alexander is a Harvard neurosurgeon and his experience is interesting.
https://youtu.be/xmo92N-4xBg
I'm not on board with the whole thing.
Starved for oxygen all the neurons go haywire, dials are pinned , short circuits etc.

Old 04-07-2020, 06:55 PM

How does a person hallucinate or "see" things and when I say "see" things, I mean they can literally explain in great detail exactly what was going on the room, when their eyes are closed? In order to hallucinate, doesn't your eyes need to be open? Sure, they can see what is in the room if they get carted into the room awake, but to explain what the doctors were doing when they were pronounced dead? how does that happen?

Old 04-07-2020, 07:00 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,606,392 times
Don’t they hide notes up high over the operating table or hospital beds where only a person floating above their bodies could read?

If not they should

Old 04-07-2020, 07:01 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
How does a person hallucinate or "see" things and when I say "see" things, I mean they can literally explain in great detail exactly what was going on the room, when their eyes are closed? In order to hallucinate, doesn't your eyes need to be open? Sure, they can see what is in the room if they get carted into the room awake, but to explain what the doctors were doing when they were pronounced dead? how does that happen?
draw a picture of an operating room. I bet you will be close enough that vague details line up with what was actually there.

Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
draw a picture of an operating room. I bet you will be close enough that vague details line up with what was actually there.
not really.... you'd have to either know a lot about surgery meaning you've worked with surgeons before or you must have to get a lot of surgeries because I don't know what any of the machines used in surgery looks like.

Let's assume you know what an operating room with all the machines look like. Now, if you woke up and could recall EXACTLY what the doctors were doing WHILE you were pronounced dead and eyes closed, how does that happen? You can't just guess and say "oh well the doctor was doing CPR on me and another doctor was looking at the heart rate monitor." There may be multiple doctors in the room doing different things.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Doctors usually leave the theater when the beep machine goes wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
You can watch surgeries on youtube.
They usually leave even before surgery is complete, saying 'close them up.'
Even neurosurgeons do it.

Hallucinate means you think you see something, you can also experience auditory hallucinations.
If you've never taken LSD you have no idea how powerful the mind is.
They used to give LSD to terminal patients in England, just a taste of heaven you might say.

Patients don't dream when under anesthesia, they aren't sleeping, their conscious awareness is interfered with , they begin to "come around" when the gas is stopped, they breathe the drug out with each exhalation, theres a short period where they are in a strange non dream non conscious state.

I had several major surgeries last year and talked at length with the anesthesiologists, they were interested that I was interested, well it IS interesting.

Theres quite a lot more to the process than take a whiff and fall asleep.

Are you looking for God or confirmation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality