Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 10:47 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times

Advertisements

I initially balked at the title and was put off by considering a bunch of screenwriters hatching plots and twists. But it eventually triggered a weird and tangential train of thought. What if our Reality is just an elaborate "Virtual reality psychodrama" that we are immersed in and have our role to play? Like the "brain in a bottle" speculation, our life could ALL be a "virtual reality" created in God's imagination and "projected" into our sensory systems and minds to see how our Spirits develop. In one way, that would eliminate any angst over the problem of evil and suffering since everything but our consciousness is imaginary. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2024, 06:48 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I initially balked at the title and was put off by considering a bunch of screenwriters hatching plots and twists. But it eventually triggered a weird and tangential train of thought. What if our Reality is just an elaborate "Virtual reality psychodrama" that we are immersed in and have our role to play? Like the "brain in a bottle" speculation, our life could ALL be a "virtual reality" created in God's imagination and "projected" into our sensory systems and minds to see how our Spirits develop. In one way, that would eliminate any angst over the problem of evil and suffering since everything but our consciousness is imaginary. Just a thought.
Yeah why not, it's as good as any other speculative thought that one might have.

I would say though that this brain in a bottle, plugged into the matrix concept doesn't make any difference. If this is actual physical reality or one of those virtual ones, it is still our reality and has to be dealt with AS IF it were real. And virtual suffering is just as potent as actual suffering. It is still miserable and scarring either way.

This is why I don't attend much to these speculations about whether we're in a simulation or not ... it just isn't actionable and makes no difference to the actual content of the experiences, so it's kind of pointless to ask ourselves unless we can find some way out of the "matrix" AND can be certain that outside the matrix isn't even worse than inside it. And as a software developer imagining how a software agent I created would "escape" -- well, it just isn't possible unless bits and bytes can constitute or transfer themselves into a physical form, and there's no mechanism for that to discover or exploit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality