Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 07:48 PM

10,526 posts, read 6,158,785 times

Advertisements

Is this thread for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2024, 08:03 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Is this thread for real?
Yea, I think they pulling our chain

Old 02-14-2024, 11:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And why on earth is this "small item" so important? What would be the grand result of it being found to be authentic (as if that could conceivably happen)?
Superstition. Same as the Holy Grail, or the millions of splinters of the cross that supposedly exist, etc...etc....

People would view it as a good luck charm. And it would eventually be worshiped. People want a THING to hold, touch, feel and look at.

Thing is...there really is no reason that anyone would have kept it. No one really realized who he was. We know that because there is no indication in Scripture that Mary and Joseph treated him as God, the Son. Instead, they marveled at him teaching in the temple at age 12.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:20 PM

7,324 posts, read 4,118,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Thing is...there really is no reason that anyone would have kept it. No one really realized who he was. We know that because there is no indication in Scripture that Mary and Joseph treated him as God, the Son. Instead, they marveled at him teaching in the temple at age 12.
I've seen some relics - mainly in Rome, Italy.

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere - This church is located in the southern part of Trastevere. It is built over the ruins of the house that St Cecilia had lived in prior to her martyrdom. In 821 the body of St Cecilia was exhumed from the Catacombs of San Callisto by St Paschal I (d. 824) and returned to this church. Today her body rests within the crypt under the main altar.

Sant’Agnese in Agone (Saint Agnes in Agone) - Also a relic of St Agnes’ skull is present in a chapel on the left side of the nave. According to tradition she was martyred here in 304 AD.

Chiesa di Santa Caterina da Siena - Tomb of St Catherine of Siena, Under the main altar, that is to say, the central altar of the Basilica is located the tomb in marble where the remains of St. Catherine of Siena are preserved.

I would like to see the Miraculous Image of her appearance o his cactus fiber cloak, or tilma, which still exists in the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City. I'm not too crazy about travel to Mexico, but if I could go for a day to see the tilma, I would.

I really love a good relic! It's not superstition, but a feeling of connection to a better soul than mine! It's like visiting a dear friend.

Jesus' foreskin? I didn't keep my son's foreskin or my kid's umbilical cord stumps when it fell off. Considering Mary & Joseph moved to Egypt and back to Nazareth, a foreskin is one of those things that would have gotten lost in a move - if they kept it.

Old 02-14-2024, 03:40 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
Relics? Try an ossuary. The Sedlec Ossuary is worth a visit. It traces its origin to the soil of the Golgotha which was brought back from the Holy Land. https://sedlecossuary.com

Old 02-14-2024, 07:13 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Apparently, foreskin has aphrodisiac and cancer curing quality. So it's not that small of an item. Imagine, what the discussed one could do.

Rabbi Zayin is believed to have sold an estimated 5,200 foreskins since 2015 when he started selling the pieces of human skin on Craigslist and advocating their aphrodisiac qualities as well as their miraculous cancer curing and longevity effects.

https://archive.ph/2019.07.01-234229...-1079.0-1086.0

Old 02-14-2024, 07:35 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Apparently, foreskin has aphrodisiac and cancer curing quality. So it's not that small of an item. Imagine, what the discussed one could do.

Rabbi Zayin is believed to have sold an estimated 5,200 foreskins since 2015 when he started selling the pieces of human skin on Craigslist and advocating their aphrodisiac qualities as well as their miraculous cancer curing and longevity effects.
you do realize that the link you posted to "world news daily report" carries the banner of "where facts don't matter." it is a fake news satire site.

"worldnewsdailyreport.com is a fake news satirical website." "The website carries this disclaimer: "WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website are entirely fictional ."

for someone to believe something like that either means they are (a) very gullible, (b) eager to post items that denigrate a specific religion, (c) lack the ability and critical thinking skills to recognize fake news even when it says right in the banner "where facts don't matter", or (d) all of the above.

Old 02-14-2024, 09:49 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
you do realize that the link you posted to "world news daily report" carries the banner of "where facts don't matter." it is a fake news satire site.

"worldnewsdailyreport.com is a fake news satirical website." "The website carries this disclaimer: "WNDR assumes however all responsibility for the satirical nature of its articles and for the fictional nature of their content. All characters appearing in the articles in this website are entirely fictional ."

for someone to believe something like that either means they are (a) very gullible, (b) eager to post items that denigrate a specific religion, (c) lack the ability and critical thinking skills to recognize fake news even when it says right in the banner "where facts don't matter", or (d) all of the above.
So good to see you posting in the forum, Tzaph. I thought you had abandoned us (I thought the same about CB)!

Old 02-14-2024, 09:55 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,203,648 times
thanks MPh!

Old 02-15-2024, 07:51 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

https://www.google.com/search?q=rabb...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality