Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 03:28 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,444,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Alright, so, this ignorant character you describe... created all of existence, then? Created hundreds of billions of galaxies (that we know of), each full of hundreds of billions of star systems? Created the laws of physics itself, including the physics that causes weather patterns on planets. And, I guess also for some reason actively intervenes sometimes to create specific weather events.

Created all existence itself, knows the exact position of every sub-atomic particle in my brain at every instant in time (and every other particle in all of existence in all of time), knows how they will all interact in the next instant after instant, knows everything arising from my animal subconscious (is more aware of that than I ever am), knows everything about my DNA, my parents, everything in my past, and every single environmental interaction I've ever had, etc. etc. He knows everything about literally everything that possibly goes into why I choose my next action, so how does he not know what my choice is going to be?

Seems like you're saying there's some kind of... extra-universal magic that's apparently greater than God's power or his (as you describe) limited ability to understand? (Even though he is the originator and master of all existence, and all space, time, and matter- and of everything.) And, that magic is what's causing me to write this sentence as opposed to a different sentence, as opposed to any in-universe reason? And God then judges me (approves/disapproves) based on this magical ability to spontaneously do things that were not caused by prior events or circumstances or my genetics or the physiological makeup of my brain?

And this... superior-to-God (yet also somehow God-created) "free will" magic/supernatural ability that you describe, is what ultimately determines whether I'll be in forever Pat Robertson bliss, or with my fellow atheists in forever unending horrible torment, for billions upon billions of millennia (that I guess I'll be somehow conscious for), after my few decades are up?

God really has no idea how anything is going to go, tomorrow, or the next day? Even though he knows "all there is to know"?

You believe this "God" is worthy of worship? This imperfect being is your idea of a perfect being?

Humans only emerged about 300,000 years ago. The Earth was not drastically different than it is today. And today there's not even close to enough combined water anywhere on the surface, in the atmosphere, or anywhere around here, to flood the whole surface of the Earth.

That's a mythological story, including the characters in the story, including God.

You don't know, and you also say that God doesn't know what's going to happen, with the chain events. So I guess he just winged it, or whatever. Caused a bunch of H2O to just magically poof into existence, then disappeared it. Because this is obviously how science/history/observation works.

I can imagine things too... but I don't go around declaring my wild imaginations as fact and history. Religious people who do that, every day make the world a worse place, and hold back humanity's progress.

Choices can change, particularly if something new is introduced. When it comes to the chemical reactions in our brain, we have to assume that's all there is in determining our actions. God sees all that, yes. Yet we aren't just physical beings according to Scripture. We have a spirit and soul. What role do they play in our choices, particular our choices concerning God Himself? Free will relates to our actions toward God.

Our free will choice is to love God, or not. Who's to say a person will always reject or accept God? (And I don't say this in a preaching way. We're just speaking about Yahweh here, and my understanding of Scripture) Ultimately, unless a person has already rejected God from the deepest part of their soul, our choice is not yet set. For someone who doesn't believe in God for lack of evidence, they may receive Him if given the evidence. Yet Scripturally speaking, those who know God exist but still rejects Him, then they made their choice and it won't change.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:28 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
I forgot to answer this.

Concerning the creatures and even the world itself pre-flood, I can't say. Though I imagine the creatures back then (land creatures and flying creatures), looked different from the creatures on the earth right now. In that all the creatures on earth now, evolved from the creatures that were on the ark. So the ancestors of the penguins may not have wobbled all the way from Antarctica. In fact, I imagine in Noah's day, there was only one landmass.
That isn't possible.

The large land mass called Pangaea broke apart over 200 million years ago. Human being have existed less than 200,000 years.

Do you want to try to formulate another theory now?

-----

I notice that you removed the question about the water. It is a demonstrable fact that there isn't enough water on the planet to cover the earth in a flood. Where did all the water come from, and where did it go after the flood?

Old 12-14-2023, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Does Yahweh spend any time with his father Enlil?

How does Yahweh get along with his brother Adad and sister Ianna?

Is Yahweh still doing the nasty with Asherah?

Oh, wait, Asherah is Ianna. Ianna is her Sumerian name. Her Akkadian name is Ishtar. Her Western Semitic name was Asherah.

Well, it's his half-sister. Since Abram/Abraham was doing his half-sister I guess it'd be okay.

Of course, if Yahweh really is Mechizide, you know Melchizidek the governor-priest of Jerusalem means anointed of Mechizide, then Yahweh's father would be the serpent god Ningishiddza.

How does Yahweh get along with uncle Enki and cousin Marduk?

Of course I believe the narrative of Scripture. What scholars accept concerning the surrounding cultures, I don't accept. As we know, Jesus took Scripture as is, and I trust Him.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
That isn't possible.

The large land mass called Pangaea broke apart over 200 million years ago. Human being have existed less than 200,000 years.

Do you want to try to formulate another theory now?

-----

I notice that you removed the question about the water. It is a demonstrable fact that there isn't enough water on the planet to cover the earth in a flood. Where did all the water come from, and where did it go after the flood?

I answered it in the previous post, though all the answers I've given doesn't fit our scientific observation. There are many who believe Genesis is actually written as myth, the Israelite version of creation and so forth from other myths surrounding the Middle East. Officially I would say I don't know, but I imagine most the water came from within the earth's crust. We see at the bottom of our oceans there are hydrothermal vents where hot water escapes. Perhaps something like Walter Brown's hypothesis took play (Just to give a picture of what I'm thinking).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb4s362Hcys

Old 12-14-2023, 04:02 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
I answered it in the previous post, though all the answers I've given doesn't fit our scientific observation. There are many who believe Genesis is actually written as myth, the Israelite version of creation and so forth from other myths surrounding the Middle East. Officially I would say I don't know, but I imagine most the water came from within the earth's crust. We see at the bottom of our oceans there are hydrothermal vents where hot water escapes. Perhaps something like Walter Brown's hypothesis took play (Just to give a picture of what I'm thinking).....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb4s362Hcys
Utter nonsense.

In order to flood the entire world, as it has existed for the entire time humans have inhabited it, water would have to increase the circumference of the earth enough to cause the surface of the seas to rise by a bit over 5 miles (enough to cover Mt. Everest). That means the size and mass of the earth would increase by TRILLIONS of gallons of water, which does not exist, and then that water would have to leave the earth after the flood.

That's utterly impossible.

None of those silly arguments about underwater vents or water existing in crevices deep in the earth do anything to help your case. Gravity would fill all of them up before the seas started to rise

Of course, I didn't waste any time watching a video.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:05 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,153,100 times
OP,

Where is Yahweh right now?

Old 12-14-2023, 04:16 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Let me help the OP. The flood was just a big blue fog that settled in. And uh... It stayed around for weeks. And uh... It really looked like water. And uh... people sort of suffocated in the fog, but were thought to have drowned. And uh.... let me see.... The Ark had magical properties that made it float in the fog. And um..... I've got to change the cat's litter box now...

Old 12-14-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
OP,

Where is Yahweh right now?

The Father's full presence is outside the universe.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:21 PM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
Quote:
The Father's full presence is outside the universe.
WHOA! That's far away Jim.

Question: If we asked God how old you are, what would he say?

Old 12-14-2023, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Utter nonsense.

In order to flood the entire world, as it has existed for the entire time humans have inhabited it, water would have to increase the circumference of the earth enough to cause the surface of the seas to rise by a bit over 5 miles (enough to cover Mt. Everest). That means the size and mass of the earth would increase by TRILLIONS of gallons of water, which does not exist, and then that water would have to leave the earth after the flood.

That's utterly impossible.

None of those silly arguments about underwater vents or water existing in crevices deep in the earth do anything to help your case. Gravity would fill all of them up before the seas started to rise

Of course, I didn't waste any time watching a video.

We have to keep in mind how deep the ocean floor is. What if the land was evened out to a certain degree, raising the ocean floor and lowering our land masses? (In this, the ocean depths were also created during the flood)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.