Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 03:45 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times

Advertisements

Hell exists as much as Heaven exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 03:57 PM

2,541 posts, read 3,110,791 times
Hell is a place for bosses, and about 80% of the men who ever lived.

Old 11-05-2023, 05:32 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,927,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
So, in other words NEITHER exists?

Old 11-05-2023, 06:11 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Correct.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:47 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,098,812 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Correct.
There you go.
You made a claim. Now provide your evidence. Sounds familiar?

Old 11-05-2023, 10:42 PM

23,206 posts, read 10,500,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenChild View Post
The oldest Christian manuscripts (epistles & gospels) do not contain any specific word that could be accurately translated into the European conception of 'Hell'. In the oldest manuscripts (written in Koine Greek) there are four words that often get translated into 'Hell' for European New Testament translations, and those words are:

-Sheol
-Gehenna
-Tartarus
-Hades

To the ancient Hebrews, Sheol was a resting place where everyone's soul was to go to after they died. Sometimes it is also translated as simply 'the grave'.

For the Hebrews, Gehenna was a place where the wicked go (after death) to be purified of their sins for a period of time (Some Jewish sources say for no longer than 12 months). Gehenna was also an actual place outside of Jerusalem were the dead were cremated and criminals were executed.

Tartarus comes from Greek mythology and refers to the deepest region of the underworld, where the Gods locked up their enemies, such as Titans, or locked up wicked people for punishment.

Hades is also derived from ancient Greek mythology and refers to the 'God of the Underworld'. Hades is also sometimes loosely used to described the entire underworld.

These are the four concepts that get combined and then translated into what modern Christians know of as "Hell". Keeping this in mind, does Hell really exist?
I would say that the tabernacle was built in 3 sections to mirror the 3 kingdoms like Hebrews 8 says.

We know that tabernacle design is the design of the kingdom of heaven and you are the tabernacle, the kingdom of heaven.

If this is correct then there are 3 states of the kingdom of heaven, and this body/tabernacle has to be the least of 3 versions.

So yea, I think hell exists and we are in it.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:20 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,008,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, her comments were much more all-encompassing.
Yes, maybe they were.
But on the original topic, eternal Hell is still a big part of the doctrine and the "statement of faith" for many Christian churches.
I have been on an Evangelical site forum and received an Infraction for questioning the eternal Hell doctrine, ie by saying it was a waste of humanity to send billions of people to Hell!
The eternal Hell doctrine is still thus very important for many churches to keep their members- and warn them of the perils of the non-Christian and secular world.!

Old 11-11-2023, 03:29 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,008,477 times
Quote:
Perhaps this is the cynic in me, but I do have to wonder whether ''hell' as believed and taught by the majority of Christian denominations is necessary to ensure continued membership. Take away hell and you also take away 'control'. I've seen and heard so many examples as to how a belief in hell and the avoidance of going there is at least one of the reasons behind church attendance of perhaps many people.
From reading of your posts, my recollection is that you were originally an SDA member for many years.
They are certainly one group that don’t believe in a literal, or an eternal Hell.
There’s quite a few groups that teach the Annihilation view on Hell, or that it simply doesn’t exist at all.
Catholics obviously still have the Hell doctrine, although it is very rarely spoken about anymore.
They are more likely to talk about Purgatory, and praying for the dead.
In the same Catholics very rarely talk about the Rapture or Second Coming either, or discuss the Book of Revelation.

Old 11-11-2023, 07:13 PM

6,803 posts, read 2,927,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Perhaps this is the cynic in me, but I do have to wonder whether ''hell' as believed and taught by the majority of Christian denominations is necessary to ensure continued membership. Take away hell and you also take away 'control'. I've seen and heard so many examples as to how a belief in hell and the avoidance of going there is at least one of the reasons behind church attendance of perhaps many people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
From reading of your posts, my recollection is that you were originally an SDA member for many years. They are certainly one group that don’t believe in a literal, or an eternal Hell.
There’s quite a few groups that teach the Annihilation view on Hell, or that it simply doesn’t exist at all.
Catholics obviously still have the Hell doctrine, although it is very rarely spoken about anymore.
They are more likely to talk about Purgatory, and praying for the dead. In the same Catholics very rarely talk about the Rapture or Second Coming either, or discuss the Book of Revelation.
Yes, I was a one-time 'enthusiastic' member of the SDA church. And while it's true that SDAs don't believe the 'literal eternal hellfire' belief of mainstream Christianity, they do believe in annihilation, i.e., the belief that 'unbelievers' will simply cease to exist.

For me, however, simple logic more tempers my belief than that of any specific church. While these days I really don't know what I believe about the state of the dead, I don't really place too much credibility on the SDA 'annihilation' belief either. I (obviously) have no idea what happens when a person dies but logic certainly dismisses from my mind the horrific belief of literal eternal suffering in a literal place that mainstream Christianity refers to as 'hell'. Such a belief, in my opinion, puts 'mainstream Christianity' in its entirety into disrepute. It's a belief that is not only unbelievably sadistic, but it also MAKES NO SENSE!

Who would believe in a supernatural deity who makes no sense?

Oh, wait . . .

Old 11-12-2023, 12:24 PM

2,473 posts, read 1,462,321 times
The Lake of Fire was created for those who rebel against Yahweh. There was a time where none of us existed. Yet when we were created, from that point we will always exist. The parts of us, our soul and spirit, will always be, from my understanding. Even in our scientific laws, we know through conservation of energy that matter cannot be destroyed. How much more the spirit! So those who of their choice rebel and forsake Yahweh, a place was created to house them. The fire was added as the form of punishment for sin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality