Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 08:31 AM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times

Advertisements

I notice All religions come under attack, criticism and ridicule by Atheists in this forum. If they know little about one, such as Hinduism, they make stuff up and have at it. But one religion i have never seen attacked is Judaism.
I am glad that it seems to have escaped the Atheist attention. But i am curious as to why. What is it about Judaism that makes it sit well with Atheists? Moderator cut: Political portion of post deleted.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-14-2023 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Post reported as political

Old 07-14-2023, 09:59 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I notice All religions come under attack, criticism and ridicule by Atheists in this forum.
Ironically another attack, criticism and ridicule of atheists. But then we are the ones who used to burn people at the stake, and stone people on religious grounds. Oh, wait ...

Quote:
If they know little about one, such as Hinduism, they make stuff up and have at it.
One atheist made ignorant assertions, that does not mean they made stuff up (unlike one Hindu I could mention).

Quote:
But one religion i have never seen attacked is Judaism.
I am glad that it seems to have escaped the Atheist attention. But i am curious as to why. What is it about Judaism that makes it sit well with Atheists?
It appears to have escaped you attention that the Jewish god is the same as that of the Christians and Muslims, AND that many of the OT texts are the same as those used by the Jews. So Judaism does get 'attacked, criticized and ridiculed', because slavery and genocide is wrong regardless of which religion endorses it.

Also, just like the Aztecs, the indigenous people of America and Africa, Daoists, usw, not forcing their beliefs on others, the Jews are not the ones going round saying men must get circumcised and we should all stop eating bacon.

Moderator cut: Deleted quoted portion and response thereto.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-14-2023 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-14-2023, 10:29 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
I notice All religions come under attack, criticism and ridicule by Atheists in this forum. If they know little about one, such as Hinduism, they make stuff up and have at it. But one religion i have never seen attacked is Judaism.
I am glad that it seems to have escaped the Atheist attention. But i am curious as to why. What is it about Judaism that makes it sit well with Atheists? Moderator cut: Political
Speaking of making up stuff...many religions -- and certainly including christianity, Hinduism, and my own Buddhism -- have fantastic fables (and I'm using the word fantastic in the sense of "remote from reality").

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-14-2023 at 10:49 AM..

Old 07-14-2023, 10:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
I am glad that it seems to have escaped the Atheist attention. But i am curious as to why. What is it about Judaism that makes it sit well with Atheists? Moderator cut: Political portion of post deleted.
If I had to guess, I'd say that people don't want to be seen as antisemites. That, and from what I've heard, many ethnic Jews do tend to be atheistic.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-14-2023 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,134,378 times
I'm an atheist and I don't "attack" any religion. To each his own. Believe what you want.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post

It appears to have escaped you attention that the Jewish god is the same as that of the Christians and Muslims, AND that many of the OT texts are the same as those used by the Jews. So Judaism does get 'attacked, criticized and ridiculed', because slavery and genocide is wrong regardless of which religion endorses it.
You worship Jesus, too? I had no idea! The God of Christians is named Jesus.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:50 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say that people don't want to be seen as antisemites. That, and from what I've heard, many ethnic Jews do tend to be atheistic.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:52 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I am guessing that it might be because practitioners of Judaism tend not to promote it or even much discuss in detail their beliefs and practices outside of their own circle.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:56 AM

15,972 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
it is a good guess. but why? why does it matter that Jewish sensibilities should be respected, but not Muslim, Christian, and Hindu sensibilities are fair game. Has Sam Harris and the self named 4 Horsemen ever criticized Judaism? Is it merely political?

Old 07-14-2023, 10:59 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am guessing that it might be because practitioners of Judaism tend not to promote it or even much discuss in detail their beliefs and practices outside of their own circle.
This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality