Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 09:40 AM

17,845 posts, read 13,763,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
As I said, they'd say the SAME thing about me. They'd call me a Christian, but grudgingly. And I said that. So again, please just stop this crap.
So do you figure that the people in these other denominations in your small Nebraska town are not saved due to the policies of their church? Assuming that they agree with said policies?

I am going to assume that small town Nebraska people behave pretty well so we are talking policy or theological minutiae which would be disqualifying. Policy would be like letting Gays due church stuff. Theological minutiae would be like not believing that there is an age of accountability (thus infant baptism) and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 10:37 AM

529 posts, read 185,832 times
ok, thanks for everyone's responses, I really appreciate the time and effort each of you put into your stories and answers you gave me. I am a Christian, Wiccan, shaman witch that has contacts with people of all faiths and Atheism too. Lately I been struggling with Christianity because I have had hostilities, threats of protest, and even a death threat from a person who claimed to be a preacher from another country different than mine. Since I have contacts with so many Faiths there are times we discuss Christianity, and I'm not so sure if I should recommend my peers, to give Christianity a chance. That's why I wanted to have these questions to see if it is safe to have contact with Christians or not?

I was pleasantly surprised that most Christians do have contact with people of other faiths and Atheism as well as LBGQT. I like going to chatrooms the most because these places seem to have the best indication of how people feel because of the anonymity these rooms provide. If people can speak anonymously then they can speak their mind. Sometimes these people's beliefs are so precise and unforgiving that they can even attack people that are part of a different denomination of Christianity that they worship from and that was surprising to me. I thought the whole purpose of Christianity was to concentrate on God's love for us and even though we have shortcomings, we are loved and forgiven if we accept His offer of love for us.

Wiccans have a trouble with the concept of Sin, it doesn't exist in their religion, and I felt what it's like to be a pure being without sin. It was the most beautiful experience in the world for me. To walk the Sacred Earth, without fear, doubts, worry, animosity, greed, anger, hatred, sadness, loneliness. I walked that forest with total ecstatic bliss with awe and wonder of a child that was surrounded by such beauty around me. It made me feel beautiful inside and I wanted to share this feeling with an ailing world that so desperately needs love in it!

Wiccans don't have sin in their religion, but they do make mistakes, that is why there are guidelines within their framework to harm none. Even if a person of a different faith comes into contact with me, I wish them no harm, only love. I won't demonize a person simply because they have a different opinion of what a God or Goddess means to them, even if they don't believe a Divine force exist in our universe as in the case of Atheism. I see people for who they are and if I put religious differences aside, I found to my relief that we really aren't that different from each other.

I was sad to see some bickering going on in this discussion. It seems like we still need a lot more work to do on ourselves and our views of other people that are different than us. I don't know the answers, but I had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful people of diversity that really enriched my life without compromising my Faith in my Divine. I can have friends that I call family regardless of the Faith or Non-Faith they belong to, because my Divine said it's ok to love them and not be afraid of them because of their differences. It's ok to have differing opinions of the Divine. You don't have to give up any of your personal beliefs of your Divine to love or accept someone of a different faith. I actually asked my Divine king when I briefly died and left your world for a while "What if people rejected Him" when I discuss religion with people of other faiths, and he replied "You show them the love that I have shown you. Don't worry if they accept or reject me for that is their will, just be grateful that they are in your life, so that you can show them the love you have for them. When you show them your love, you give them my love for them as well. That is all I ask of you!"

This great King's only commandment was to love the people I meet! I didn't have to save the world, go in battle, conquer the wrong doers. His only commandment was to show love to the people I am blessed to have in my life, Wow! What a concept! I don't have to change the world; I just have to show love to one person at a time while I'm here. I only have 7 billion more people to go though, and I don't think I can finish my it in time, so I am wondering? Can you help me?

Old 06-18-2023, 10:40 AM

50,980 posts, read 24,476,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
So do you figure that the people in these other denominations in your small Nebraska town are not saved due to the policies of their church? Assuming that they agree with said policies?

I am going to assume that small town Nebraska people behave pretty well so we are talking policy or theological minutiae which would be disqualifying. Policy would be like letting Gays due church stuff. Theological minutiae would be like not believing that there is an age of accountability (thus infant baptism) and stuff like that.
This morning I was thinking of this thread.

I thought back to my days in education. We had conservative teachers and liberal teachers. We had innovative teachers and traditional teachers. We represented different religious and political perspectives. We were of different races. Different ages. Some were passive, others were aggressive, and everything in between. And yet we all worked in the same school building, and at least where I was, got along pretty damn well. We didn't divide ourselves up into different buildings over our differences.

Old 06-18-2023, 03:27 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,061,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I never said that.
Quote:
I really didn't suggest anything specific at all. Sorry. Not getting into it.

Old 06-18-2023, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
This morning I was thinking of this thread.

I thought back to my days in education. We had conservative teachers and liberal teachers. We had innovative teachers and traditional teachers. We represented different religious and political perspectives. We were of different races. Different ages. Some were passive, others were aggressive, and everything in between. And yet we all worked in the same school building, and at least where I was, got along pretty damn well. We didn't divide ourselves up into different buildings over our differences.
Thanks for a beautiful story to share Phetaroi, imagine how wonderful that would be if we could apply that to a global world scale!

Old 06-18-2023, 05:44 PM

9,696 posts, read 10,045,032 times
Christians need to go shopping or go see a show or attend a party of the community which does not support the religion that they go, they could go ................ Never saying that Christian need to go to an occult fair which the people in the city is supporting as this would temp the Lord God in His eyes, so Christians need to just pray at home over this ................. Still Christian need to go shopping they should go in the community which they live as if they feel out of place than this would attract er-regular demons which would need to be put down through the Lord Jesus .................. It would be best for Christians to stay away from protest and rebellions in the communities as this would attract the wrong spirit that is not of the Lord Jesus ............ Best for Christians to pray for the Lord to prepare a place in the world and the belief of Jesus Christ and their church is protected from the lost world that does not believe, Usually the people with far left view have the radical view of the world and need to have prayer to release these people through Christ and never create divisions which would put the Lord out from helping in the world ..........

Old 06-18-2023, 08:56 PM

1,762 posts, read 763,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a little confused and hope you can help me in understand modern Christians a little better. I'm going to ask a few questions below that I hope can help me make the right decisions in life. Please feel free to answer one, several or all the questions below if you wish, I would certainly appreciate it. The questions I'm asking are not meant for debates, I just want to know how you live your Christian life in a secular world and how you deal with people of other Faiths in your life. Please feel free to comment any answers you given, that would help a lot Thanks!

(1) Should I encourage any of my Wiccan friends to attend a Christian church if they are interested in attending one?

(2) Would you be welcoming to them? Do you have a special program or policy to make them feel welcomed, or would you prefer them to stay away from your church?

(3) If you had a Pagan family in your neighborhood and they invited you to an outside barbecue at their home, would you go?

(4) if there is a Pagan festival in your city that welcomed people of all Faiths to come would you?
(A) Attend the festival if you have the time?
(B) Don't care because it's not your religion?
(C) Decline the festival because it's against your religion?
(D) Protest and try to shut the festival down?

(5) Do you have friends that are outside your Faith that you associate with? If so, how strong of a friendship do you have with them?

(6) Would you let your kids stay overnight with a Pagans kids family home, like a slumber party?

(7) Would you allow your children to invite Pagan children to your home for a slumber party?

(8) Do you have fears that Pagans are out to persecute you?

(9) if your child wants to marry a person that happens to be a Pagan or Atheist would you?
(A) Support them?
(B) Discourage them?
(C) Forbid them?
(D) Disown them?

(10) Please share any experiences you have with people of other Faiths and did that experience help strengthen or weaken your Christian Faith.
(1) Yes, but perhaps go informed as to what type of church and that church's culture as some might be more welcoming and engaging to outside groups.

(2) Yes! We are all God's children and there are different branches on the tree of religion all trying to lead to the same trunk.

(3) Yes, if I thought they were safe and good people.

(4) A - Attend the festival if I have time to show fellowship. We are all one. Jesus himself never rebuked those of different faiths he praised their good deeds.

(5) Yes - my husband for example.

(6) Yes, if I thought it was safe and good people. Religion plays no role in either.

(7) Yes.

(8) No.

(9) A - Yes, support.

(10) I don't think specific religious beliefs matter as much as loving and doing good deeds.

Old 06-19-2023, 12:30 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Merry Meet Mightyqueen, it is an honor for a High Priestess to converse with royalty and I am so thankful for having the chance to write to you!

I'm sorry my questions were a little confusing I didn't take into account they gave the impression that there is only one way to answer them and that all Christians are the same, because I know people of all faiths are extremely diverse and different even in their own faith. On a lighter note, I actually do live under a rock, because you mortals are very scary creatures my dear!

Sorry about your early experiences with hell bound preaching your church had. I was very lucky in my childhood. Even though I was practicing witchcraft with my older sister at night, talking to the dead, practicing spells, having divination readings and all kinds of occult fun. The next morning a church bus would pick us up and I really had fun going to church with these weird people that called themselves Christians. I don't remember what church we went to; I was only 5 years old, and my sister was 13, but they were kind, and we all sang Christian songs, stomped our feet on the bus floor and clapped with complete joy to the beat of those Christian songs. I was too young to understand the differences between witches and Christians and the problem I have now is that I never grew up ha-ha! So that is why I still happily live under a rock where it is safe my dear!

I don't think I ever went to an EC church before, I am definitely going to have to check one out. I been to Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist, Mormon, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Catholic, Roman Catholicism, Universal Unitarian that actually hosted our coven meetings at night when we lost our office lease from another location, Lutheran, Pentecostal, non-denominational Christian churches, 7th day Adventist which is interesting that their Sabbath is on a Saturday and not Sunday, Jehovah Witness although I never went to their church, they came to my mother's home until they found out I was a witch whoops. I also been to Hindu, Taoist, Buddhist Temples, as well as Wicca, Druids, Native American Pow Wow's and Vision Quest rituals from Shamanic path my culture is from.

I guess I would have to identify myself as a Christo-Pagan if I had to give myself a label so it's nice there are others on this website that can identify where I'm coming from. Thanks for your wonderful description of the Church of England. I heard that there were witches that cast many spells in favor of the new King of England Coronation celebration. I didn't know about the Rogation days ceremonies preachers would perform in the spring. Do they do this around the "Imbolc Sabbath" that occurs on February 2nd? Sorry, in addition to being Native American, I do have strong Irish roots in my gene pool too lol!

Well, my lady, it was an honor talking to you and I want to thank you for responding to my questions even though they were a little confusing. If you don't mind, I wish to depart from this conversation with a hopeful message. Don't feel bad if you feel you may not consider yourself a Christian anymore. It's perfectly fine to be who you are, but if you are concerned that maybe people may not think of you as Christian anymore, just look at me. Some people think I'm Satan's daughter, I am a loudmouth witch that is guilty of Heresy, Blasphemy, and Sacrilegious acts and speaking my mind, yet I have the audacity to proclaim I love Jesus and going home to Him when it is my time to go and there is nothing under Heaven that is going to stop me. If someone like me can still be a Christian despite all the strange things happen around me, I hope I can give you comfort in knowing that Jesus will always love you too, my Queen!
What on earth makes you think I am a mortal?

Old 06-19-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
(1) Yes, but perhaps go informed as to what type of church and that church's culture as some might be more welcoming and engaging to outside groups.

(2) Yes! We are all God's children and there are different branches on the tree of religion all trying to lead to the same trunk.

(3) Yes, if I thought they were safe and good people.

(4) A - Attend the festival if I have time to show fellowship. We are all one. Jesus himself never rebuked those of different faiths he praised their good deeds.

(5) Yes - my husband for example.

(6) Yes, if I thought it was safe and good people. Religion plays no role in either.

(7) Yes.

(8) No.

(9) A - Yes, support.

(10) I don't think specific religious beliefs matter as much as loving and doing good deeds.
I love your replies QuakerBaker, thanks for giving me hope in the world!

Old 06-20-2023, 07:40 PM

157 posts, read 89,858 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm a little confused and hope you can help me in understand modern Christians a little better. I'm going to ask a few questions below that I hope can help me make the right decisions in life. Please feel free to answer one, several or all the questions below if you wish, I would certainly appreciate it. The questions I'm asking are not meant for debates, I just want to know how you live your Christian life in a secular world and how you deal with people of other Faiths in your life. Please feel free to comment any answers you given, that would help a lot Thanks!
Well it would be challenging because "modern" Christianity is so heavily fragmented you'll find answers all over the place. If you want to understand this a little more fell free to message me. I will answer your questions as best I can.

Quote:
(1) Should I encourage any of my Wiccan friends to attend a Christian church if they are interested in attending one?
If they want to repent, then of course.

Quote:
(2) Would you be welcoming to them? Do you have a special program or policy to make them feel welcomed, or would you prefer them to stay away from your church?
Everyone is welcome in our church, but the point of participating in the life of the church is to purify yourself to become holy, and in doing so to become united with God. We've had people come into the church were into sorcery, and in one case he became a saint.

Quote:
(3) If you had a Pagan family in your neighborhood and they invited you to an outside barbecue at their home, would you go?
Of course! Love our neighbors.

Quote:
(4) if there is a Pagan festival in your city that welcomed people of all Faiths to come would you?
(A) Attend the festival if you have the time?
(B) Don't care because it's not your religion?
(C) Decline the festival because it's against your religion?
(D) Protest and try to shut the festival down?
C.

Quote:
(5) Do you have friends that are outside your Faith that you associate with? If so, how strong of a friendship do you have with them?
Some of my best friends are outside the Faith.

Quote:
(6) Would you let your kids stay overnight with a Pagans kids family home, like a slumber party?
That would depend on if they are ready and if they are going to be participating in any rituals.

Quote:
(7) Would you allow your children to invite Pagan children to your home for a slumber party?
This also depends on if they are ready.

Quote:
(8) Do you have fears that Pagans are out to persecute you?
No. Demons are out to persecute us, they can influence any number of people even those in the Faith.

Quote:
(9) if your child wants to marry a person that happens to be a Pagan or Atheist would you?
(A) Support them?
(B) Discourage them?
(C) Forbid them?
(D) Disown them?
C, but I would also pray very hard for them and ask God to forgive me for not bringing them up the right way. Forbidding doesn't necessarily stop anyone from doing anything. Of course I wouldn't abandon them.

Quote:
(10) Please share any experiences you have with people of other Faiths and did that experience help strengthen or weaken your Christian Faith.
Generally most interactions have been normal, but there were a couple of times when I encountered people who tried to pull me away from the Faith. Generally though it strengthened it because it was further proof of the Truth of our Faith.

Last edited by illumined; 06-20-2023 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Quote fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality