Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 10:18 AM

529 posts, read 181,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

When I was a child my family attended a denomination that teaches a lot of hatred. They hate all other denominations, along with pagans, etc. I left that denomination as soon as I could.

We have many friends who are pagan. Often when getting to know them, they have told me about the hatred they have experienced from religious zealots. I understand why they are concerned about being around Christians.

Even on these forums, I often find that many Christians make-up new sins as their mood suits them. they are not content with the 613 sins that God set in His Word. Many times in these threads I have tried to remind posters that whatever they are going on about is not an actual sin but rather something that their denomination has made up.

I am not sure if this comes from a desire for power and authority over others, or if they truly believe that they carry more authority than God.
Thanks so much for your response Submariner and so sorry for your childhood memories of a domination that taught hatred. Religion seems to have a lot of absolutes in it and if you violate any of these rules you are demonized and shunned by some of the very people that is supposed to love you! I believe the Christian God is all about love and not hate so it's hard when I see people act a certain way to people that are different than them.

I attended a coven that had several crones in their family coven. A crone is an elderly wise witch, like a grandmother figure for those that are not familiar with the term. I am an empath and I felt their pain having to deal with Christians that hated them their entire life. We had a yule Sabbath a few years back and one of our songs was "we wish you a Merry Yuletide" but instead of singing that song the crones kept messing up and sang "We wish you a Merry Christmas, I mean Yuletide!"

Everyone laughed and looked at me like I had something to do with it. I am a prankster and they know of my mixed religions including Christianity. So everyone laughed and though I cast a spell on them. I'm pretty good at laugh spells, but I swear I didn't have anything to do with that fun magical night, ha-ha! Or did I?

I do hope the laughter helped heal some hurting souls that night but in the end, it was so good to be with a family I so dearly love! These are the things I wish Christians could experience in their religion too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 10:54 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High.priestess.Sarah View Post
Hello everyone, I'm a little confused and hope you can help me in understand modern Christians a little better. I'm going to ask a few questions below that I hope can help me make the right decisions in life. Please feel free to answer one, several or all the questions below if you wish, I would certainly appreciate it. The questions I'm asking are not meant for debates, I just want to know how you live your Christian life in a secular world and how you deal with people of other Faiths in your life. Please feel free to comment any answers you given, that would help a lot Thanks!

(1) Should I encourage any of my Wiccan friends to attend a Christian church if they are interested in attending one?
I'm quite confident any Wiccan would be welcome to attend my church, just like anyone else. Anyone is welcome who is respectful and not causing a disturbance, whether they agree with the message or not.
Quote:
(2) Would you be welcoming to them? Do you have a special program or policy to make them feel welcomed, or would you prefer them to stay away from your church?
I'm in a small Baptist church in a small town. Chances are they'd be noticed as a visitor, because that's just how it works in a small church in a small town. People would likely say hi, and they'd get a coffee mug as a gift with a pen, some candy, and a nice little welcome letter from the pastor.
Quote:
(3) If you had a Pagan family in your neighborhood and they invited you to an outside barbecue at their home, would you go?
Sure. Why not?
Quote:
(4) if there is a Pagan festival in your city that welcomed people of all Faiths to come would you?
Maybe. Depends on how "Pagan" it is. How would it be different than any other community gathering?
Quote:
(A) Attend the festival if you have the time?
(B) Don't care because it's not your religion?
(C) Decline the festival because it's against your religion?
(D) Protest and try to shut the festival down?
Would there be reason to protest and try to shut it down? What would be involved?
Quote:
(5) Do you have friends that are outside your Faith that you associate with? If so, how strong of a friendship do you have with them?
Yes. We're the only Baptist church in a town dominated by liberal progressive Lutheran, Methodists, and Catholics. I know they are all technically called "Christian", but there really is a lot of difference between us and them.
Quote:
(6) Would you let your kids stay overnight with a Pagans kids family home, like a slumber party?
Only if they promise not to sacrifice her at midnight under the full moon. Seriously...is there a reason I'd say no?
Quote:
(7) Would you allow your children to invite Pagan children to your home for a slumber party?
Same as above.
Quote:
(8) Do you have fears that Pagans are out to persecute you?
"Pagans", no. Are they?
Quote:
(9) if your child wants to marry a person that happens to be a Pagan or Atheist would you?
(A) Support them?
(B) Discourage them?
(C) Forbid them?
(D) Disown them?
I'd discourage my kid from marrying anyone of a different faith than them. If they were to embrace a religion, whatever religion it is, the marriage would not be as strong to someone of a different religion.
Quote:
(10) Please share any experiences you have with people of other Faiths and did that experience help strengthen or weaken your Christian Faith.
More than I can list here, to be honest. Been doing apologetics for 30 years. I know what Christianity teaches, and I know what a lot of other religions teach, sometimes better than the ones that identify by them. I'm convinced that Jesus is the only way to Heaven.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It's important to understand that the behavior of attempting to explain and share one's worldview according to their own interpretation is not limited to Christians. In fact, it is a common phenomenon across many religious traditions and people in general. When individuals from different faith backgrounds engage in discussions about their beliefs, they naturally bring their own perspectives and interpretations into the conversation. For example, when a Christian is explaining their faith, a Jewish person may seek to understand it within the framework of Jewish interpretation and beliefs. This is not unique to Christianity; it occurs in various interfaith dialogues where individuals try to make sense of different religious teachings through the lens of their own traditions. It's important to approach such conversations with respect, open-mindedness, and a willingness to learn from one another.
Yes I totally agree Hayle White. I think that is why you have to think outside the box when you discuss religion with a person of another faith. I have the gift of being a chameleon in that I can fully immerse myself into their religion and completely forget about mine so that I can better see God/Goddess through their eyes. I once had a wonderful opportunity to talk to a LaVeyan Satanist by the name of Jack. He was such a kind and respectful soul as he walked up to me and asked if it was ok to join our public Mabon ritual in a county park that coincidentally had a Jesus Jam Fest just 300 meters from our Wiccan gathering lol.

None of this was planned but it seems wherever I go these "Coincidences" happen in my life. Could this be Divine intervention?

Anyway, ha-ha, what happens when you have a Satanist, a Wiccan High Priestess and a Jesus Jam festival going on at the same time? It almost sounds like a comedian entry to a joke lol, but what happened to me that day was Magick! Everyone in their respective area got to worship in peace despite the differences and it felt great to be alive!

Of course I told Jack and his disciples he was always welcome in our coven and it was nice singing our Wiccan songs that was blended in by the better organized and expensive music our Jesus Jam Fest neighbors were having. The moment was so surreal and we all had a good laugh over it.

Later I got to talk to Jack and his disciple that accompanied him and got to know him a little better. He was an Atheist Satanist that doesn't actually believe in God or the Devil but in the carnal nature of humanity. I don't know if Christians know there are different denominations of Satanism, but that is why it is important to ask people of different Faiths what their religion means to them.

He later told me that he bought some property in a local business of our city and we were welcome to use his facilities for our Wicca Sabbaths if needed. He also told me he applied to the national chapter of the church of Satan, but was turned down because they didn't think his group was Satanic enough. Wow! Can you believe that? Here is a business man that secured property, setting up an occult shop that is not good enough for the Church of Satan? I gently to old him he was better off without them and encouraged him to follow his dreams!

Do you see how strange my life is? I don't follow rules, I just love people for who they are and have Faith in them, in myself and my relationship with my Divine. People always ask me "Are you sure you're a Christian?" They ask me in a good way ha-ha and that is the greatest compliment I can ever receive from anyone. My response to them is "Yes I'm sure I'm a Christian because I Love you!"

Getting back to my Satanist friend Jack, we got so close he told me he had leukemia and wasn't expected to live more than six months. It was so emotional I gave this kind man a hug! It was just so sobering to see a human being behind the religion they are from struggling with a life threatening illness that really puts things in perspective for me. That life is precious and I'm not going to waste one single moment of my time arguing with someone about religion, when I can love them for who they are, which is a precious soul I had the honor to share some time with!

Old 06-16-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm quite confident any Wiccan would be welcome to attend my church, just like anyone else. Anyone is welcome who is respectful and not causing a disturbance, whether they agree with the message or not.

I'm in a small Baptist church in a small town. Chances are they'd be noticed as a visitor, because that's just how it works in a small church in a small town. People would likely say hi, and they'd get a coffee mug as a gift with a pen, some candy, and a nice little welcome letter from the pastor.

Sure. Why not?

Maybe. Depends on how "Pagan" it is. How would it be different than any other community gathering?

Would there be reason to protest and try to shut it down? What would be involved?

Yes. We're the only Baptist church in a town dominated by liberal progressive Lutheran, Methodists, and Catholics. I know they are all technically called "Christian", but there really is a lot of difference between us and them.

Only if they promise not to sacrifice her at midnight under the full moon. Seriously...is there a reason I'd say no?

Same as above.

"Pagans", no. Are they?

I'd discourage my kid from marrying anyone of a different faith than them. If they were to embrace a religion, whatever religion it is, the marriage would not be as strong to someone of a different religion.

More than I can list here, to be honest. Been doing apologetics for 30 years. I know what Christianity teaches, and I know what a lot of other religions teach, sometimes better than the ones that identify by them. I'm convinced that Jesus is the only way to Heaven.
Merry Meet Baptist Fundie and thanks so much for your thoughtful input! Wow, you have so many interesting points that really gives me thought about this whole situation, but isn't it nice how people of different faiths are coming together to share their stories in a wonderful peaceful way. It really gives me hope for humanity.

Before I continue, I have a question for you if I may? Do Baptist still pause their worship service to take a moment of fellowship with family and guest attending their ceremonies? God, I miss that part, it was so much fun having people greet you in the middle of service. It almost felt like family was saying hi to you after a weeklong absence.

Well let's get into your discussion first of all thanks for not being concerned if a pagan family ask you over for a barbecue. You'd be surprised how many Christians would not even consider going to one.

In regard to a Pagan festival, I can't speak for all festivals, but the ones in my area are very nice. They have pet adoption booths, places where you can sign up to do volunteer work in the community, once they had nurses for a free community health screening for guests. You may see some people dressed in full ritual clothing though. Druids, Pagans, Celtic dresses, and of course witches too. Most people dress casually, while most of the rituals are very simple and lighthearted. in one gathering the High Priestess had a very large ball of yarn that she threw to the next person and asked them to throw it across the room until everyone was holding part of the string. This holding of the yarn was the symbol of how we are all connected to each other in the room and on our planet. There were many demonstrations like this throughout the day.

The reason some Christians want to shut down a Pagan festival is because they are afraid that they are promoting Satan or having weird rituals or animal sacrifices. It's really bizarre how some Christians think, but that is why I asked the question.

I'm glad you have friends that are outside your Faith, even though your mention of liberal Christian faiths that are different than yours, but I wonder? If I move into your town or someone like me and I happen to be your neighbor, could you be my friend?

I like your answer "only if they sacrifice her" it reminds me of one of the books I wrote where I have a quote of a girl witch talking to a potential Christian boyfriend asking him "Will you be my sacrifice? I mean date, for the evening?" Ha-ha, in all seriousness though, there are some Christians that are afraid that Pagan Kids will influence their Christians kids to become Pagan too. that's why they don't want Pagan children around their kids.

The reason I ask Christians about the fear of Pagans plotting to attack them one day is that there are some Christians that truly believe that Pagans are out to get them. Pagans are too busy being happy, celebrating Earth and Nature and don't have ceremonies to mock or attack the Christian Faith. Pagans leave Christianity to the Christians while they solely concentrate on celebrating Pagan Sabbaths and Esbats peacefully as a Christian family celebrates Christ and Christianity.

Your concerns are certainly understandable about discouraging your children to marry outside of their faith. There are extra obstacles that can place additional burdens on the mixed married couple. I myself am a Christian-Wiccan-Shaman Witch that married a wonderful Christian man. I feel like my name is Samantha and his name is Daren in a Bewitched Tv series lol. But what really works for us is that we respect each other's boundaries when it comes to religion. What makes our marriage so difficult is that his family is super religious and preachers of several Christian churches. I once had a very long discussion with one of his preacher Uncles that was a minister of a church and even though I didn't admit to him I was a witch; I think he had a suspicion I was. Thankfully, my husband is not very religious, so we don't go to his relative's church, but I have gone to about 120 different churches in my lifetime of all faiths. In the end though, we love each other dearly and going to be with each other for eternity, or until I run out of the love potion tea I serve my husband every day finally wears out. You do know I'm kidding right

There was an actual High Priestess witch from the order of Syblings that did serve her ex-husband a love potion of tea so never accept an offer from a witch to give you tea without seeing how she made it! Lol!

My witnessing to people is a little bit different than yours but I'd like to share it. I make a verbal contract with people of other faiths that I promise to call upon their Goddess or God to help me if Jesus abandons me, and all I ask in return is: That if their Goddess or God abandons them, give Jesus a chance, He truly is a King that loves them too.

Thanks for your reply Baptist Fundie, it really was nice hearing from you. If you get a chance at your next worship service, can you take a moment of silence to think of me as you fellowship with other family and guest during the greeting portion of your worship service, it will mean a lot to me, thanks!

Old 06-16-2023, 02:51 PM

19,963 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
It's important to understand that the behavior of attempting to explain and share one's worldview according to their own interpretation is not limited to Christians. In fact, it is a common phenomenon across many religious traditions and people in general.
True so far as it goes, but we are not talking about simply mentioning something of interest to an actually interested person.

I love to talk about software development but apart form online forums, usually populated with fellow developers, rarely even mention it because in the general case, No One Cares.

Fundamentalists of all stripes seem to fail to understand this principle.

My wife has a shirttail relative (5th cousin or some such) who has been known to crash funerals to preach the gospel to shell-shocked grieving people, to call girls passing his home "whores" because their skirts are too short for his taste, and to hector people on campuses (mostly undergrads) explaining how masturbating will send them to hell and only god can help them with that problem.

That is a somewhat exaggerated / caricatured version of what is generally being talked about regarding "prosetelyzation" -- but not all THAT exaggerated.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Your questions are hard to answer because they are based on the idea that there is one answer for all Christians. As you know unless you live under a rock--and nothing against you if you do --the flavors of Christianity are wide and varied. Some believe the Bible is the literal "Word of God", and do not accept any ideas or beliefs that are not contained therein.

Others add old traditions from early Christianity to the mix. Still others believe the basis of Christianity is Jesus's admonition to love one another and test everything against that directive, including those parts of the Bible that don't fit into that paradigm.

So I will answer with my experience, even though I don't know if I could consider myself a Christian these days.

I grew up in your stereotypical hell/death/sin Christian church, where it was pounded into your head that you are dirt and one sin away from being whacked by God. Jesus was watching everything you did and recording it and telling on you. It wasn't fun. Got away from that one as soon as I turned 18.

But later in life, circumstance led me to the Episcopal Church. Now the EC is the descendant of the Church of England with all its traditions--including pagan ones incorporated and practiced from long ago. For example, There is something on the EC church calendar in spring called "Rogation days". These were days when the priest would go around to the farmer's fields and bless them for the coming growing season. That's a holdover from pagan rituals that was incorporated into a Christian practice. in England there are "holy wells", ancient places where wells were built around springs in the ground. They have the names of saints but the older names were that of the pre-Christians gods and goddesses worshiped in the Anglo-Saxon world. So, paganism was never fully eradicated from the English church.

In the American version of the Episcopal Church, pagan practices are not looked down upon. In fact, I have a friend who is an ordained Episcopal deacon. She was raised Catholic, practiced Wicca, and then felt called to the EC. When she was ordained, her best friend, a lifelong Wiccan, was one of her sponsors. Nobody cared; in fact, everyone likes this woman, she is just that type of person. The Episcopal Church sees itself as one path to God but not necessarily the only one.

That Wiccan woman's daughter, meanwhile, attended the church for a time because although she had met her father, who was not interested in being a father and said so honestly from the beginning, she still felt someone abandoned by him. Therefore, she attended an Episcopal Church for a time while not giving up her natural pagan practices because the Christian idea of a Heavenly Father comforted her, since she felt the lack of a father in her own life.

In short, the answers to your questions would depend upon what type of Christians you encounter, their own outlook at the natural world and all of humanity, and their sense of inclusiveness and openness or lack thereof.

Right here on the CD Pagan forum, which does not always get a lot of traffic these days, you have several people who identify as "Christo-Pagans" and "Judeo-Pagans", people who incorporate nature-based Pagan practices into their traditional organized religious practices and beliefs.
Merry Meet Mightyqueen, it is an honor for a High Priestess to converse with royalty and I am so thankful for having the chance to write to you!

I'm sorry my questions were a little confusing I didn't take into account they gave the impression that there is only one way to answer them and that all Christians are the same, because I know people of all faiths are extremely diverse and different even in their own faith. On a lighter note, I actually do live under a rock, because you mortals are very scary creatures my dear!

Sorry about your early experiences with hell bound preaching your church had. I was very lucky in my childhood. Even though I was practicing witchcraft with my older sister at night, talking to the dead, practicing spells, having divination readings and all kinds of occult fun. The next morning a church bus would pick us up and I really had fun going to church with these weird people that called themselves Christians. I don't remember what church we went to; I was only 5 years old, and my sister was 13, but they were kind, and we all sang Christian songs, stomped our feet on the bus floor and clapped with complete joy to the beat of those Christian songs. I was too young to understand the differences between witches and Christians and the problem I have now is that I never grew up ha-ha! So that is why I still happily live under a rock where it is safe my dear!

I don't think I ever went to an EC church before, I am definitely going to have to check one out. I been to Baptist, Southern Baptist, Methodist, Mormon, Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Catholic, Roman Catholicism, Universal Unitarian that actually hosted our coven meetings at night when we lost our office lease from another location, Lutheran, Pentecostal, non-denominational Christian churches, 7th day Adventist which is interesting that their Sabbath is on a Saturday and not Sunday, Jehovah Witness although I never went to their church, they came to my mother's home until they found out I was a witch whoops. I also been to Hindu, Taoist, Buddhist Temples, as well as Wicca, Druids, Native American Pow Wow's and Vision Quest rituals from Shamanic path my culture is from.

I guess I would have to identify myself as a Christo-Pagan if I had to give myself a label so it's nice there are others on this website that can identify where I'm coming from. Thanks for your wonderful description of the Church of England. I heard that there were witches that cast many spells in favor of the new King of England Coronation celebration. I didn't know about the Rogation days ceremonies preachers would perform in the spring. Do they do this around the "Imbolc Sabbath" that occurs on February 2nd? Sorry, in addition to being Native American, I do have strong Irish roots in my gene pool too lol!

Well, my lady, it was an honor talking to you and I want to thank you for responding to my questions even though they were a little confusing. If you don't mind, I wish to depart from this conversation with a hopeful message. Don't feel bad if you feel you may not consider yourself a Christian anymore. It's perfectly fine to be who you are, but if you are concerned that maybe people may not think of you as Christian anymore, just look at me. Some people think I'm Satan's daughter, I am a loudmouth witch that is guilty of Heresy, Blasphemy, and Sacrilegious acts and speaking my mind, yet I have the audacity to proclaim I love Jesus and going home to Him when it is my time to go and there is nothing under Heaven that is going to stop me. If someone like me can still be a Christian despite all the strange things happen around me, I hope I can give you comfort in knowing that Jesus will always love you too, my Queen!

Old 06-16-2023, 04:37 PM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
... Well let's get into your discussion first of all thanks for not being concerned if a pagan family ask you over for a barbecue. You'd be surprised how many Christians would not even consider going to one.
I have attended pagan weddings. I found them to be a lot more fun than church weddings.

Quote:
... The reason some Christians want to shut down a Pagan festival is because they are afraid that they are promoting Satan or having weird rituals or animal sacrifices.
A lot of people are motivated by their fears. It is sad, but yet a reality.

Quote:
... If I move into your town or someone like me and I happen to be your neighbor, could you be my friend?
A few years ago a young couple moved into my township [a town of 235 people], the 'wife' is transgender. We have had them over for potlucks in our home a few times. My cancer treatment required that I go through some hormone therapy, so I started a conversation by taking hormones. At first, I felt unsure of myself, and how I am supposed to react to a transgender person. I am aware that most other Christians are filled with fear at the mention of transgenders. So I had a long talk with my god about it, and I was soon led to reading Matthew chapter 19, the passage where Jesus spoke of men who have had their stones removed. That had a huge effect on me. After deciding to be accepting of transgenders, within the next year I met four of them. Which I think is truly odd since I live in such a rural region. I would think that at tops I should only ever meet maybe one or two in my lifetime, but now I know four, Only one of them is a close friend, but I would concern all of them to be my friends.

Quote:
... in all seriousness though, there are some Christians that are afraid that Pagan Kids will influence their Christians kids to become Pagan too. that's why they don't want Pagan children around their kids.
Fear. Each person holds a faith [or not] that suits them.

In the '70s I joined a Jesus cult [they were kind of popular at the time]. My Dw and I were both very active with them until recently [a bit over 40 years]. The doctrines that they taught we both still hold. Though due to some changes in their practices, we decided to drift away.

In 1987 I was captured and held by a group of de-programmers for five days, as they attempted to de-program me. I was very relieved when I was finally able to make my escape.

I admit that the experience messed me up, it took me a few years before I was confident in my faith once more.

When I was searching for my faith, I tried many different faiths. But then I had an experience that convinced me, that at that moment God was listening to me and talking directly to me. God directed me to this Jesus cult. I am confident that I hold the faith that God wants me to hold.

Each of us needs to have our own reason, our own proof that 'X' faith is the right one for us.

I am not going to convert to some other religion simply because peer group pressure or to please some other person.

I do not see it as a 'danger' to allow kids to play together.

If someone has so much fear in their life, that person needs therapy.

Quote:
... The reason I ask Christians about the fear of Pagans plotting to attack them one day is that there are some Christians that truly believe that Pagans are out to get them.
I do not recall ever hearing any preacher suggest that pagans are plotting to attack Christians. I am not saying that such has never been taught, the world is a big place, and we do have thousands of different denominations, it is possible. I have never heard such.

May the Great Architect of the Universe bless you, guide you, and keep you.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:18 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,087 times
IMO, many Christians claim to reject symbols, statues, relics etc as unnecessary and frivolous within their worship.

Yet they will give great weight to Wiccan symbolism and ritual for some reason.

Either it's just that, ritual and symbolism or it's not.

I'm one Christian who believes if the goal is loving God and neighbor with a sacrificial love, ...
Well. Whatever floats your boat.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:53 PM

Submariner;65429113]I have attended pagan weddings. I found them to be a lot more fun than church weddings.

Oh, that sounds like so much fun, Submariner, was it a traditional hand fasting ceremony, and was it for a year and a day, for life or forever?

A few years ago a young couple moved into my township [a town of 235 people], the 'wife' is transgender. We have had them over for potlucks in our home a few times. My cancer treatment required that I go through some hormone therapy, so I started a conversation by taking hormones. At first, I felt unsure of myself, and how I am supposed to react to a transgender person. I am aware that most other Christians are filled with fear at the mention of transgenders. So I had a long talk with my god about it, and I was soon led to reading Matthew chapter 19, the passage where Jesus spoke of men who have had their stones removed. That had a huge effect on me. After deciding to be accepting of transgenders, within the next year I met four of them. Which I think is truly odd since I live in such a rural region. I would think that at tops I should only ever meet maybe one or two in my lifetime, but now I know four, Only one of them is a close friend, but I would concern all of them to be my friends.

I am so sorry for your health problems, but you motivated me to read Matthew chapter 19 and it was a fascinating story. When I briefly died, Jesus instructed me to love anyone I met and show them the love He and his Royal subjects shown me when I went to Heaven. I'm not worried about people's gender identity or sexual orientation. I accept them for who they are and love them dearly like I do to everyone I meet! It's amazing how you managed to meet 4 transgenders in a rural community. I too live in a rural community, but haven't met any in my area yet, but if I did. I would be honored to have them as friends.

I am not going to convert to some other religion simply because peer group pressure or to please some other person.

Yes I wouldn't convert to another religion because of peer pressure, it wouldn't make sense! My spiritual journey is a personal one where I had to look long and hard at my life to discover who I was. What I have found out is that I am strong and broken, perfect and flawed, but I'm not alone and I don't have to face this world by myself. Jesus and His twelve tribes of humanity shown me what real love was like in Heaven. It was beautiful, Awe inspiring, and Joyful beyond words. Jesus was very patient with me and gave me the option to come home to him whenever I was ready. He wasn't a used car salesman pressuring me to sign on the dotted line in the next 5 minutes or the deal is off. He loved me that much that He would wait for me for however long I needed to come home when I'm ready. Well, lol I was ready the minute I saw Him so no need to wait my King, but I understand why I had to come back to Earth. I live a very strange life, filled with behind-the-scenes trips to the "occult" or hidden world I am from because I'm a witch. I have seen so much in the war front, but it made me stronger and able to love even more than I thought I could. I have been through so much from malevolent spirits trying to possess me, to murder victims that come to me for help in spirit form, like in the case of Diane Tilly. Her murder really messed me up for 6 months but I helped comfort her spirit as best as I could until she crossed over once her killer died in prison. I made a promise to Jesus that no matter how weird it got for me, I would never forget how much He loves me and is watching over me. There is nothing under Heaven that can break my covenant with Him. Even if the whole world is against me, I do like a challenge!

I do not recall ever hearing any preacher suggest that pagans are plotting to attack Christians. I am not saying that such has never been taught, the world is a big place, and we do have thousands of different denominations, it is possible. I have never heard such.

Sorry for the confusion Submariner. There was one Christian Cult that was sharpening their swords for Jesus because they were ready to counterattack the Evil that was out there. I only attended their church once, but it was creepy and to this day I wasn't sure if they were metaphorically speaking or literally speaking the swords they were sharpening for Jesus. Most of the hysteria I am referring to is from social media sites that "Christian themed" preachers are using hysteria to convince viewers that non-Christians are ready to attack them. Another thing I find disturbing in these social media sites is ex-witches that claimed they were saved from Satan by Christian churches they now attend, and they renounced all their Satanic practices for the glory of their church. There are Satanic Witches, but 99% of the witches that chose to follow Pagan or Wiccan traditions have no form of Satanism in their practice. Wicca is about Earth and Nature, not God and Satan, that is a Christian concept that a Wicca or Pagan witch would not follow. These ex-witches claim of Satanic practices are not true, because of how they present Wicca and Paganism they claimed they were from. I just wish people would be honest and say, they tried Wicca or Paganism, didn't like it and came back to Christianity. I think it is important to say that Witchcraft is not a religion, but a practice because people confuse Witchcraft with religion, but it isn't. Witchcraft is a craft or gift you chose to hopefully use for the betterment of yourself and the people you come into contact with as you "Harm None".

May the Great Architect of the Universe bless you, guide you, and keep you

Thanks so much for your blessings Submariner I truly appreciate your prayers from the bottom of my heart! May I send you love light and energy for all the days of your life and prayers that you live a happy and full life. Take care of yourself, love you dearly sir and wish you well! Psst, I never say goodbye because people are always in my heart so we never part, we are just separated until we meet again!

Old 06-17-2023, 06:37 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Merry Meet Baptist Fundie and thanks so much for your thoughtful input! Wow, you have so many interesting points that really gives me thought about this whole situation, but isn't it nice how people of different faiths are coming together to share their stories in a wonderful peaceful way. It really gives me hope for humanity.

Before I continue, I have a question for you if I may? Do Baptist still pause their worship service to take a moment of fellowship with family and guest attending their ceremonies? God, I miss that part, it was so much fun having people greet you in the middle of service. It almost felt like family was saying hi to you after a weeklong absence.
Not exactly sure what you mean by that. I attended a church for awhile where we'd have some worship time, then we'd have 20 minutes for coffee and donuts, then go back to worship. That was unique to my experience. The other churches I've been a part of, including Baptist, E Free, Bible Church, Non-Denominational would shake hands and greet people, but that's it. My current church gave that up during Covid, and people haven't been asking for it back. We also don't pass the offering plate, but it sits on a pew for people to give to if they'd like.
Quote:
Well let's get into your discussion first of all thanks for not being concerned if a pagan family ask you over for a barbecue. You'd be surprised how many Christians would not even consider going to one.

In regard to a Pagan festival, I can't speak for all festivals, but the ones in my area are very nice. They have pet adoption booths, places where you can sign up to do volunteer work in the community, once they had nurses for a free community health screening for guests. You may see some people dressed in full ritual clothing though. Druids, Pagans, Celtic dresses, and of course witches too. Most people dress casually, while most of the rituals are very simple and lighthearted. in one gathering the High Priestess had a very large ball of yarn that she threw to the next person and asked them to throw it across the room until everyone was holding part of the string. This holding of the yarn was the symbol of how we are all connected to each other in the room and on our planet. There were many demonstrations like this throughout the day.
Not really my cup of tea, but I'd hardly work to have it shut down.
Quote:
The reason some Christians want to shut down a Pagan festival is because they are afraid that they are promoting Satan or having weird rituals or animal sacrifices. It's really bizarre how some Christians think, but that is why I asked the question.

I'm glad you have friends that are outside your Faith, even though your mention of liberal Christian faiths that are different than yours, but I wonder? If I move into your town or someone like me and I happen to be your neighbor, could you be my friend?
Absolutely. None of the neighbors around me go to my church, or church at all that I'm aware of. I'm friendly with them. One is a teacher at the school I sub at and we get along fine.
Quote:
I like your answer "only if they sacrifice her" it reminds me of one of the books I wrote where I have a quote of a girl witch talking to a potential Christian boyfriend asking him "Will you be my sacrifice? I mean date, for the evening?" Ha-ha, in all seriousness though, there are some Christians that are afraid that Pagan Kids will influence their Christians kids to become Pagan too. that's why they don't want Pagan children around their kids.

The reason I ask Christians about the fear of Pagans plotting to attack them one day is that there are some Christians that truly believe that Pagans are out to get them. Pagans are too busy being happy, celebrating Earth and Nature and don't have ceremonies to mock or attack the Christian Faith. Pagans leave Christianity to the Christians while they solely concentrate on celebrating Pagan Sabbaths and Esbats peacefully as a Christian family celebrates Christ and Christianity.
Maybe that's a thing where you live. I'm in small town Nebraska. I've lived in a few other states in the midwest, but no...never really been in an area where people openly identify as "Pagan"
Quote:
Your concerns are certainly understandable about discouraging your children to marry outside of their faith. There are extra obstacles that can place additional burdens on the mixed married couple. I myself am a Christian-Wiccan-Shaman Witch that married a wonderful Christian man. I feel like my name is Samantha and his name is Daren in a Bewitched Tv series lol. But what really works for us is that we respect each other's boundaries when it comes to religion. What makes our marriage so difficult is that his family is super religious and preachers of several Christian churches. I once had a very long discussion with one of his preacher Uncles that was a minister of a church and even though I didn't admit to him I was a witch; I think he had a suspicion I was. Thankfully, my husband is not very religious, so we don't go to his relative's church, but I have gone to about 120 different churches in my lifetime of all faiths. In the end though, we love each other dearly and going to be with each other for eternity, or until I run out of the love potion tea I serve my husband every day finally wears out. You do know I'm kidding right
I noticed you said your husband isn't very religious. If 2 not-so-religious people marry, they can have a wonderful life together, no matter what religion they are. But my concern is that when a devout person marries someone of the other faith, it just seems that more often than not, one or both of them become less devout. Rarely does the not-so-religious one become MORE devout. In my own experience, I met and married my wife at church. We are in complete agreement on our faith, and we encourage and build each other up.
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Baptist Fundie, it really was nice hearing from you. If you get a chance at your next worship service, can you take a moment of silence to think of me as you fellowship with other family and guest during the greeting portion of your worship service, it will mean a lot to me, thanks!
I will be happy to pray for you. Thanks for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality