Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 10:47 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Sure, and more accurate
Considering the horrific religious practices of some of the surrounding tribes in Canaan at the time, it is not hard to see why that term would be used. I don't know that much about Hinduism, and I doubt the Psalmist knew the religion even existed, but from what I do know, Krishna would not be comparable to a Baal.

Of course, it was not the gods the neighbors worshiped who were the problem. It was the people themselves.

Old 04-04-2023, 10:56 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Absolutely Elvis; though the older I get the more I think all those old people warning about rock 'n roll being the devil's music may have been on to something...
"All my songs seem to stop.....then start again."

I love both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 10:59 AM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
"All my songs seem to stop.....then start again."

I love both.

Miracle of the Rosary

Old 04-04-2023, 02:47 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Well, I like a lot of music from the 60s and 70s. That was when the best pop music was written. I also like the Beatles, especially Paul McCartney. I've seen his concerts three times. I was going to see Ringo last year, but the concert got canceled when some of the band members got Covid.

George Harrison wrote what I think is possibly the best Beatles song, but it wasn't "My Sweet Lord," although that one is pretty good. He ended up agreeing to pay the owners of "He's So Fine" 12% of the royalties from "My Sweet Lord." That may very well have earned more money than a cash payout.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:48 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Well, I like a lot of music from the 60s and 70s. That was when the best pop music was written. I also like the Beatles, especially Paul McCartney. I've seen his concerts three times. I was going to see Ringo last year, but the concert got canceled when some of the band members got Covid.

George Harrison wrote what I think is possibly the best Beatles song, but it wasn't "My Sweet Lord," although that one is pretty good. He ended up agreeing to pay the owners of "He's So Fine" 12% of the royalties from "My Sweet Lord." That may very well have earned more money than a cash payout.

That's such a beautiful song. What in your opinion is Harrison's best? 'Something'?

I listen to the Beatles a lot - I'm a Liverpool gal born and raised. It's the law to listen to the Beatles in Liverpool.

Never seen any of them play live though so I'm v jealous. I'd love to see Paul or Ringo play even though I think Paul lost his voice years ago, in many ways that doesn't matter. He's a legend.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:52 PM

3,803 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post

He should have just done what Vanilla Ice did with “Under Pressure†, who bought the song rights to it from Queen and David Bowie.
Was the best business decision he ever made.
In any event, George Harrison’s song is always going to draw the ire of hardcore and fundie Christians, due to the mixing and confusing of religions.
They then like to use extreme words like “Demonic†very liberally to describe such things.

Old 04-04-2023, 04:04 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
My husband bought me Sirrius Radio for my car like if the weather is too cold to do a stroller walk, but I need to get the boys a nap so I can take them for a car ride but have something to listen to.

I am not sure what channel I was on, but it was one of the Oldies channels like 80s on 8 or something like that and this song came on and it was just so beautiful it moved me to tears.

After some research it blends a variety of religions to preach more unity and not being divided by religious sectionalism.

It's called George Harrison's My Sweet Lord.

I hope some of you may find meaning in it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4lpQWcT5g

Are you really just discovering the Beatles QB?

I mean if you are you are in for a treat.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
That's such a beautiful song. What in your opinion is Harrison's best? 'Something'?

I listen to the Beatles a lot - I'm a Liverpool gal born and raised. It's the law to listen to the Beatles in Liverpool.

Never seen any of them play live though so I'm v jealous. I'd love to see Paul or Ringo play even though I think Paul lost his voice years ago, in many ways that doesn't matter. He's a legend.
Frank Sinatra thought "Something" was the most beautiful song The Beatles did. I'm partial to "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" as my favorite Harrison song.

I don't think Paul has lost much of his voice for a guy that turned 80 years old last summer. When I saw him, there was no opening act. He came out on the stage and worked his magic for 3 hours.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Are you really just discovering the Beatles QB?

I mean if you are you are in for a treat.
QB is much younger than most of us here, Cruithne. She has no memory of the 20h Century.

Old 04-04-2023, 09:36 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
At the end of the day this topic all boils down to one's personal musical tastes. I've rarely been influenced by 'the herd mentality' when it came to music. There is no denying that the Beatles were forced upon the world initially and if there is any doubt that mass hypnosis is possible, then 'the Beatles' can certainly be used as an example of how this can be accomplished. Still, I guess some of their songs were good and need to be given credit. But, so too have been the many, many songs and pieces of music by just as many other songwriters and musicians who never had a religion built around them as did the Beatles.

For me, these days, give me the much less commercialized 'Americana music' of Guy Clark, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Keith Sykes and others of like caliber. These guys get by quite nicely without all the hype that surrounded the so-called 'Beatlemania' phenomenon of the 1960s. Moreover, I doubt that the music of any of these guys ever resulted in a similar cleaning bill as that of the concert venues after a Beatles concert ...thanks to thousands of young girls who couldn't contain their excitement. Disgusting. It wasn't just 'music', the Beatles also brought in - and flaunted - an era of sex, drugs and Rock & Roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality