Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 05:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They are both names for the God worshiped by Abraham, whether you like to admit it or not.
Yes, I realize you hold that position. It's wrong, but you are certainly entitled to it.

I'd be curious to see if the OP agrees they are the same God.

Old 03-22-2023, 05:53 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yes, I realize you hold that position. It's wrong, but you are certainly entitled to it.

There is only one God. He and She are addressed to and prayed to in different ways it is our choice how we want to imagine him to be, what we are drawn to. When I imagine Jesus on the cross, i can only see horrific torture and death. I prefer Dali’s imagining of Christ, in his mother’s arms, with no bruises, made whole and magnificent. I still cannot pray to that image. I prefer to imagine Divinity as Shiva, the Guru of knowledge, seated under a tree in a forest, withe a tender smile, golden in the morning sun, the healer of the world, who blesses me.
We are culture bound to our vision of the deity. And everything is good.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:47 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
To believe this, you would need to believe there is more than one God and that WE determine who God is by what WE believe, which is absurd!! God is God and what WE believe about Him does NOT determine who He is!! That is the main and major problem with religions that are entirely born of human vanity and hubris. We are all free to believe what we wish about God but that does NOT determine ANYTHING about who God actually IS! Any and all pretense that we have the "secret decoder ring" to the knowledge of God is pure arrogance. As Paul said (paraphrased), if we knew God we would never have scourged and crucified Jesus!!! It seems nothing has changed since Paul was around. As Jesus (who IS God Himself to me) said, "we know not what we do"!
Quote:

He is NOT wrong since there is only ONE God and you have no authority to determine what is or is not wrong about God.. Neither, you nor truth teller, nor anyone else determines who God IS (or what His name is). You can only PREFER believing what you believe.

Old 03-22-2023, 10:34 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
Ladies, ladies. They're all completely imaginary...

Old 03-23-2023, 02:11 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Ladies, ladies. They're all completely imaginary...
Well yes, that is the default position of a hardcore Atheist.
I don’t necessarily agree with all other religions, or many other Christian groups , but the one common ground is the existence of a supreme God - who is a merciful God.

Old 03-23-2023, 06:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Neither, you nor truth teller, nor anyone else determines who God IS (or what His name is). You can only PREFER believing what you believe.
And the mind-boggling nature of it is that you seem to think you can. And you insult and mock those who disagree. Then you lecture us on "agape love".

Old 03-23-2023, 11:04 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
And the mind-boggling nature of it is that you seem to think you can. And you insult and mock those who disagree. Then you lecture us on "agape love".
I do not mock anyone and do not try to insult anyone, but insults are subjective and entirely dependent on the one feeling insulted. I disagree with primitive thinking and barbaric beliefs because they are primitive and barbaric, not because any particular person believes them.

My attempt to reinforce the agape nature of God unambiguously revealed and demonstrated by Jesus is because I DO have agape love. The current misunderstanding of the God Jesus personally revealed causes unnecessary fear and concern over trivial differences in our responses to our human needs, IMO.

Old 03-23-2023, 04:05 PM

2,774 posts, read 2,668,570 times
Quote:
You didn't answer the question. Would you be comfortable making that prayer to Yahweh?
no
Yahweh is not a name for the god
Yahweh could means oh he
or my lord
but not a name for the god

the god told us that he is Allah
And has the story of Musa come to you?
When he saw fire, he said to his family: Stop, for surely I see a fire,
haply I may bring to you therefrom a live coal or find a guidance at the fire.
So when he came to it, a voice was uttered: O Musa:
Surely I am your Lord, therefore put off your shoes; surely you are in the sacred valley, Tuwa,
And I have chosen you, so listen to what is revealed:
Surely I am Allah, there is no god but I, therefore serve Me and keep up prayer for My remembrance:
Surely the hour is coming-- I am about to make it manifest--
so that every soul may be rewarded as it strives:
Therefore let not him who believes not in it and follows his low desires turn you away from it
so that you should perish;
And what is this in your right hand, O Musa!
He said: This is my staff:
I recline on it and I beat the leaves with it to make them fall upon my sheep, and I have other uses for it.
He said: Cast it down, O Musa!
So he cast it down; and lo! it was a serpent running.
He said: Take hold of it and fear not; We will restore it to its former state:

The Holy Quran is the only accurate Holy Book in our current time
and any knowledge in it conflict with other holy books then they are the wrong

in general we could use any correct name for Allah.
Say (unto mankind):
Cry unto Allah,
or cry unto the Beneficent,
unto whichsoever ye cry (it is the same). His are the most beautiful names.

but this specific prayer it was said by the Messenger of Allah Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)
and he used the word Allah
so we should not play with the words
for example we should not change the word Allah to my god or my lord or my creator ...etc

Old 03-23-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Truth Teller is praying to Allah and they are saying that is what they are doing. Allah is Allah in his language of prayer.
You can, if you wish, repeat that prayer to Yahweh or to Christ or whoever you wish.
Christ is not the god

Christ is not the son of the god

Christ is son of Maryam

Christ is one of the greatest messengers of Allah

Old 03-23-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
To believe this, you would need to believe there is more than one God and that WE determine who God is by what WE believe, which is absurd!! God is God and what WE believe about Him does NOT determine who He is!! That is the main and major problem with religions that are entirely born of human vanity and hubris. We are all free to believe what we wish about God but that does NOT determine ANYTHING about who God actually IS! Any and all pretense that we have the "secret decoder ring" to the knowledge of God is pure arrogance. As Paul said (paraphrased), if we knew God we would never have scourged and crucified Jesus!!! It seems nothing has changed since Paul was around. As Jesus (who IS God Himself to me) said, "we know not what we do"!

The absurd! is to believe that the god was crucified
They made not a just estimate of Allah such as is due to Him.
And on the Day of Resurrection the whole of the earth will be grasped by His Hand
and the heavens will be rolled up in His Right Hand
Glorified be He, and High be He above all that they associate as partners with Him!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.