Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 06:39 AM

551 posts, read 190,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Triumph and disaster. Treat them with the same detachment. These opposites don’t belong to the Self, which is always free and content, That which IS. The two opposites do not affect That which IS. Only the ego, that which is Not, suffers defeat and pain.
Exactly. Everything is not. God alone Is. Ego is a thing and if it can revel in triumph it has to suffer in disaster. It's a package deal.

From The Song of the Sannyasin ~ Swami Vivekananda

https://www.ramakrishnamath.in/completeworks/?p=25

“Who sows must reap,” they say, “and cause must bring
The sure effect; good, good; bad, bad; and none
Escape the law. But whoso wears a form
Must wear the chain
.” Too true; but far beyond
Both name and form is Atman, ever free.
Know thou art That, Sannyasin bold! Say–

“Om Tat Sat, Om! ”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 08:36 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreyes View Post
How can one put ones faith in god in times of uncertainty? Going to church more often, praying more often, reading the bible more, ect...? Any suggestions?
Faith is gift. Of which our Good Lord dispenses to those who sincerely ask for it.

Throw out all religion, dogma, and the voices telling you how to worship and pray.

Go into your " closet" ( a quiet peaceful place ) , empty your mind of everything that is created, and listen for that still small voice.

Then just say yes

Old 04-06-2023, 10:07 AM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Faith is gift. Of which our Good Lord dispenses to those who sincerely ask for it.

Throw out all religion, dogma, and the voices telling you how to worship and pray.

Go into your " closet" ( a quiet peaceful place ) , empty your mind of everything that is created, and listen for that still small voice.

Then just say yes

Old 04-06-2023, 12:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Faith is gift. ... Lord dispenses to those who sincerely ask for it.
Go into your ''closet" ( a quiet peaceful place ),
empty your mind of everything that is created, and listen for that still small voice.
Excellent.
Pure wisdom and insight into the nature of how things work, imo.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:26 AM

6,932 posts, read 6,866,775 times
We have no idea what the OP means by 'uncertainty'. However there has been a load of good advice mainly about meditating and keeping the emotions under control. Words of wisdom dont often tell us HOW to go about doing what is suggested, so I question whether they are wise words or not.

Old 04-07-2023, 08:32 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
We have no idea what the OP means by 'uncertainty'. However there has been a load of good advice mainly about meditating and keeping the emotions under control. Words of wisdom dont often tell us HOW to go about doing what is suggested, so I question whether they are wise words or not.
Uncertainty is what we live with every day. If you dig deeper there are ways to learn how to meditate and keep our mind and emotions that it gives rise to under control.

Old 04-08-2023, 11:06 AM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
Go into your " closet" ( a quiet peaceful place ) , empty your mind of everything that is created, and listen for that still small voice. Then just say yes
Problem I find is that some people's minds are so empty that one could think their brains could have fallen out.
The working mind should be like a parachute: wide open, but Not sooo wide open that they empty out their brains.
Throwing out Jesus telling how to worship and pray (John 4:23-24) is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Problem I find is that some people's minds are so empty that one could think their brains could have fallen out.
The working mind should be like a parachute: wide open, but Not sooo wide open that they empty out their brains.
Throwing out Jesus telling how to worship and pray (John 4:23-24) is like throwing out the baby with the bath water.
I don't disagree with you.
It has been my experience, when I " empty out my brain " as you say,

and there is nothing left
but my own self awareness,
and my Good Lord ready to embrace me.

It has also been my experience,
and thus my belief
that My Good Lord is Jesus..

But it all starts with Faith

Old 04-11-2023, 07:45 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,956,993 times
Quote:
I don't disagree with you.
It has been my experience, when I " empty out my brain " as you say,
and there is nothing left
but my own self awareness,
and my Good Lord ready to embrace me.
It has also been my experience,
and thus my belief
that My Good Lord is Jesus..
But it all starts with Faith
Real faith of course is Not credulity (blind faith) but confidence in God as Jesus has.- John 17:17
instead of an emptied-out mind Psalm 1 instructs to mediate day and night on the Law.
For ancient Jews that was the Mosaic Law, since Pentecost for Christians it is the 'Law of Christ' - Gal. 6:2
Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35
To now have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, to Now love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Lev. 19:18

Old 04-12-2023, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Real faith of course is Not credulity (blind faith) but confidence in God as Jesus has.- John 17:17
instead of an emptied-out mind Psalm 1 instructs to mediate day and night on the Law.
For ancient Jews that was the Mosaic Law, since Pentecost for Christians it is the 'Law of Christ' - Gal. 6:2
Jesus' New commandment found at John 13:34-35
To now have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.
In other words, to Now love neighbor MORE than self, more than the Golden Rule of Lev. 19:18

Hey, whatever works for you is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality