Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 07:54 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a Friend who runs a church here in town. His church does celebrate Easter, but Lent is not observed per se. Whereas over at the Episcopal church, Lent is a huge I mean HUGE event.

Got me thinking about the two major seasons Advent and Lent, and I drew back on my previous experiences as well as what I observe now as well. What I see is that Advent is more of an external celebration, focused more on charity, charitable giving, celebrations, and centered more on group activities. BOTH are a focus on hope. Both represent anticipation. Lent however, is more internal, more introverted, allowing the person to focus on cleansing and improving his or her mind and soul in anticipation of Easter.

I also noticed that Emails and even that beautiful calendar of religious artwork that I got free point out days of abstinence and fasting, today being one.

Traditionally, Lent was a time for those who had been cut off from the church to make amends and rejoin the faithful. Today, it seems more of a personal and introspective journey into ones beliefs and faith.

Then there is the "Giving up of something" during lent. I had some catholic friends that gave up alcohol for lent, but did celebrate St Patricks day with a few pints of beer.....Many also gave up meat on Fridays, substituting fish instead.

I always thought too, back in the day, that the giving up of something should not be public, but kept secret until Easter, when it could be revealed that "I had no beer for the past 40 days) or something like that....

I wonder though how others keep and celebrate Lent, if they do, and would love to hear ideas from others. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 08:42 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
In the past, I went vegetarian for one Lent, the first after I was confirmed as an Episcopalian when I was around 35. I was into medieval English historical fiction, and giving up meat was the traditional thing in the Middle Ages. Another year I read The Daily Office from the Book of Common Prayer every day. Psalms another year. The last church I attended usually had a Lenten program of some sort, a Bible or theological study with a specific focus, and I enjoyed that. A couple of times, it would be a soup night, so I would take one week and make my vegan lentil spinach soup. Even meateaters like it.

This year I am giving up Christianity for Lent. However, as I do every Ash Wednesday, I will listen to Allegri's Miserere Mei, Deus. Psalm 51.

https://youtu.be/36Y_ztEW1NE

Old 02-22-2023, 09:44 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,320,150 times
What are the rules for Lent? I do think there is value in the ritualistic nature of religion as long as you don't overuse that coping mechanism. Do I have to give up something for 40 days? That is long enough to change a habit.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:00 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What are the rules for Lent?
In the Catholic Church, the only rules under pain of sin for Lent are that you must abstain from meat on Fridays, and fast and abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:03 AM

13,615 posts, read 7,927,714 times
I've done different things each year since I became Catholic and began observing Lent.

Some years have been more spiritually beneficial for me than others.

In addition to whatever penances I choose to undertake, I also try to add some spiritual reading on top of my normal reading.

This year I'm reading the 3 Volume collected works of St. Teresa of Avila. I already started Volume 1 a little early and I'm very much enjoying it.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:26 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
What are the rules for Lent? I do think there is value in the ritualistic nature of religion as long as you don't overuse that coping mechanism. Do I have to give up something for 40 days? That is long enough to change a habit.
It depends upon your church. In the Episcopal Church, there are no real rules, there are just some traditions. Some people employ forms of fasting, others forms of service, others forms of devotion/prayer/study.

I used to know a Catholic guy who would have two or three beers at home every night after work. He'd give them up every year for Lent, but around three weeks in after complaining of all the aches and pains he now felt without his nightly anesthetic, he'd go back to his consumption.

I have a Greek Orthodox friend, who although shaped like a broomstick, loves chocolate chip cookies in a way no one else I ever met does. She gives them up for Lent.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I was talking to a Friend who runs a church here in town. His church does celebrate Easter, but Lent is not observed per se. Whereas over at the Episcopal church, Lent is a huge I mean HUGE event.

Got me thinking about the two major seasons Advent and Lent, and I drew back on my previous experiences as well as what I observe now as well. What I see is that Advent is more of an external celebration, focused more on charity, charitable giving, celebrations, and centered more on group activities. BOTH are a focus on hope. Both represent anticipation. Lent however, is more internal, more introverted, allowing the person to focus on cleansing and improving his or her mind and soul in anticipation of Easter.

I also noticed that Emails and even that beautiful calendar of religious artwork that I got free point out days of abstinence and fasting, today being one.

Traditionally, Lent was a time for those who had been cut off from the church to make amends and rejoin the faithful. Today, it seems more of a personal and introspective journey into ones beliefs and faith.

Then there is the "Giving up of something" during lent. I had some catholic friends that gave up alcohol for lent, but did celebrate St Patricks day with a few pints of beer.....Many also gave up meat on Fridays, substituting fish instead.

I always thought too, back in the day, that the giving up of something should not be public, but kept secret until Easter, when it could be revealed that "I had no beer for the past 40 days) or something like that....

I wonder though how others keep and celebrate Lent, if they do, and would love to hear ideas from others. Thanks
Lent is important to the more Liturgical churches like Lutheran, Methodist, Catholic, etc. Typically, Baptist, E Free, and other more "Evangelical" ones don't celebrate it.

We will have an Easter Service, and that's about it.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:05 AM

3,824 posts, read 1,381,127 times
This year fasting, abstaining from meat on appointed days, and almsgiving.
Aiming to give up sweets for the full 40 (minus Sundays).
Some things more that I'll keep secret.
Honestly didn't observe very well last year so trying to do better this.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I am not sure what I will do for Lent. Fasting or "giving something up" during the 40 days originated for those who were going to convert. Originally that was not for everyone. It was a lesson to keep people's minds on the spiritual in preparation for converting. "Giving something up" for Lent was a later addition to observing the season.

To keep Jesus' life in mind during Lent I am going to do no-meat Fridays like we used to do when I was little, LOL. I feel like the intent is the important thing; IOW, if I were to "give up" a certain candy, that wouldn't put my mind on Jesus. It would just be me giving up candy. So I'm doing what I believe the intent to be.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:23 AM

11,088 posts, read 7,149,943 times
I do nothing different than any other day. Every day is equally important and significant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality