Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 09:00 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times

Advertisements

My 1st Lent as a convert, I gave up super. But just suger in my coffee. Made it easy on myself, didn't want to cheat.

This year I gave up meat. Going to make my 1st homemade pastrami soon, and have some fello carnivores over and chow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 09:10 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Most Protestant churches don’t observe lent, just Good Friday and Easter. Our Baptist church tried a Maundy Thursday service one year, but it was so gloomy that they quit having it.

The episcopals are closest to the catholic rituals, so perhaps they do more during lent. My dads side was episcopal, but we kids never went there.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:11 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
My 1st Lent as a convert, I gave up super. But just suger in my coffee. Made it easy on myself, didn't want to cheat.

This year I gave up meat. Going to make my 1st homemade pastrami soon, and have some fello carnivores over and chow down.
Sounds great!

We didn't give up meat entirely, but did cut back significantly on our consumption of it. My wife cooked up a nice brisket yesterday and it really hit the spot! It was nice to feel full again!

Old 04-10-2023, 12:55 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Most Protestant churches don’t observe lent, just Good Friday and Easter. Our Baptist church tried a Maundy Thursday service one year, but it was so gloomy that they quit having it.

The episcopals are closest to the catholic rituals, so perhaps they do more during lent. My dads side was episcopal, but we kids never went there.
I attend an Episcopal church. We were told by the priest (rector) that we should give silently, and fast silently, but that we can tell what we gave up after it was over.

I enjoy the liturgical seasons. I was always one though for picking and choosing what elements of a religion that I like and using it. The idea of "take what works, throw the rest away" and I have found that life can be more meaningful and enjoyable that way.

Lent was never one of my favorite seasons, and growing up I hated Easter altogether. Still not my favorite holiday, but it was a nice service, nice music and a number of people besides me dressed up in their springtime duds.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:08 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Sounds great!

We didn't give up meat entirely, but did cut back significantly on our consumption of it. My wife cooked up a nice brisket yesterday and it really hit the spot! It was nice to feel full again!
I though going without Soft Drinks (Dr Pepper) was a more difficult challenge than going without the weed. As for the alcohol, I had some wine yesterday and cat-napped for a couple of hours as a result.

Going 40 days without a Dr Pepper was very difficult.

Going without the weed was not as hard as I expected. Again, mind over body. I am not going to rush back into either one, and as for the wine, well, it doesn't do well with me anyway.

I am thinking now of giving up something additional over the next 40 days, just for health reasons. Clearly, sugar is in Everything and avoiding it is hard, but blatantly sugary foods like Easter cake and banana pudding that we had yesterday should be back off the list today. They are not healthy for me.

Fasting does show us that we can do without something. If getting off sugar is too hard, and for many of us it is, because of cravings, then do it in steps. First, all soft drinks that have sugar,. Then all baked goods and soft drinks that have sugar. Then, for example, all soft drinks, baked goods and ice cream.,...in steps one can make a healthier diet.

Old 04-10-2023, 01:09 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

Some of us "episcopals"* have already mentioned that while some people do fast or give up meat on Fridays (or for the whole season as was done in the Middle Ages), others also take on a spiritual addition to their lives, such as reading The Daily Office from the Book of Common Prayer, or a Psalm, or some other such devotional practice each day. There is no hard and fast rule.

The churches have practices, such as no flowers on the altar during Lent.

"Episcopal" means, more or less, "of the bishops" or "run by bishops". This reflects the fact that the Catholic Pope is only recognized as the Bishop of Rome, not the supreme head of the church, which happened after Henry VIII split from the Catholic Church, formed the Church of England and made himself the head of it.

Two-hundred-some years later, the United States declared independence, and the Church of England said neener neener, you can't consecrate bishops without swearing allegiance to the English Monarch, so the Protestant Episcopal Church of the United States was formed. Now, of course, churches everywhere that the Church of England colonized and left pieces of itself behind are all part of The Anglican Communion. So Episcopalians also sometimes call themselves Anglicans in the larger context.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-10-2023 at 01:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality