Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 08:12 AM

1,476 posts, read 478,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

So, what does it mean to "worship" God?
It seems that the internet has diluted everything to the point of creating a gray area over the earth. Just like it was in the days of Noah.

Jesus Christ speaks of worshipping God in spirit and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 09:59 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Some seem to think that the "worship" of God means, to spend 24/7/365 on our knees, hands in the air, telling God how "great" He is.

Meanwhile, NO WHERE in the bible does it say to do this.

I believe Jesus smiles when I " love my neighbor"

Old 12-31-2022, 10:10 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,787,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
Yes. I believe the same thing.

Frankly, I think that too many Christians pay more attention to loving God than loving their neighbor, not realizing that loving our neighbor is one way we can love God.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:40 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
We "worship" something when we ascribe worth to it/them.

We can worship God by conscious actions such as singing, prayer, proclaiming his word. The Bible is full of commands to honor God through prayer and sacrifice. We also have examples of Christians in the early church praying, proclaiming his name, etc.

Given God's track record at keeping evil in check God isn't worth a spit in the eye much less 24/7 worship. What a waste of good saliva.

Old 12-31-2022, 10:43 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

And his wife.

Old 12-31-2022, 11:59 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And his wife.
???
I don't follow

Old 12-31-2022, 12:33 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Some seem to think that the "worship" of God means, to spend 24/7/365 on our knees, hands in the air, telling God how "great" He is.

Meanwhile, NO WHERE in the bible does it say to do this.

I think that is individual to each that worships, and no one else's business. For myself, I ascribe to Matthew 6:5-8:
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
(NIV)

Old 12-31-2022, 12:52 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think that is individual to each that worships, and no one else's business. For myself, I ascribe to Matthew 6:5-8:
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words.
8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
(NIV)
I am sorry, and I don't mean any disrespect, those instructions sound extremely opinionated, immature, and not from a spiritual minded. How would you know how not to babble like pagans? Are there any living near you? Rather than instruct how you should be, it seems very sure about what you should not be.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:27 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
Quote:
It means obeying Allah by doing that which He has commanded
and avoiding that which He has forbidden,
whilst loving Allah, fearing Him and putting one’s hopes in Him.

Old 12-31-2022, 02:56 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Yes. I believe the same thing.

Frankly, I think that too many Christians pay more attention to loving God than loving their neighbor, not realizing that loving our neighbor is one way we can love God.
Now that's a good sentiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality