Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 11:32 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i didn't find out i was Jewish until i was almost 50. i figured i would go to shul once, just to see what it was like. and i have been going ever since. that was 15 years ago. my mother's family fled Danzig (they were German-speaking Jews) when she was about 7 years old. The relatives who could not get out all were killed in the Holocaust. My mother married a non-Jew and we were told not to tell anyone she immigrated from Danzig.

The first time i ever heard davening in Hebrew, which was the first time i ever went to shul, i was so moved it felt like i was going to leave my body. i could not understand a word of the Service, but every cell in my body was responding powerfully.
Now that is fascinating, and something I never would have guessed (although I know that stories like yours are more common than most people realize). Thank you for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 12:03 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
No, I don't. But a quick search showed some boxer named Tyson Fury and every other word out of his mouth is Jesus. He is like me, except I am like five foot two or three and toothpick arms and I never hit others. Other than that, we are twinsies!
So...feel bad...I found out my real height without shoes and I overestimated it by a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i didn't find out i was Jewish until i was almost 50. i figured i would go to shul once, just to see what it was like. and i have been going ever since. that was 15 years ago. my mother's family fled Danzig (they were German-speaking Jews) when she was about 7 years old. The relatives who could not get out all were killed in the Holocaust. My mother married a non-Jew and we were told not to tell anyone she immigrated from Danzig.

The first time i ever heard davening in Hebrew, which was the first time i ever went to shul, i was so moved it felt like i was going to leave my body. i could not understand a word of the Service, but every cell in my body was responding powerfully.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 12-22-2022, 03:12 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Most competitions will attack demons to disrupt and cause confusion, so if you pray before the game, that the players will conform to the other players then victory can be obtained

Old 12-23-2022, 11:17 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,084,540 times
I am a believer in God but personally I never like or appreciate the mixing of religion and sports. NEVER!

Particularly, the animated display of religiosity during sporting events reeks hypocrisy.

In front of camera and millions of viewers, you pose to pray to God but many of these players have off the field activities that dont really adhere to their religious beliefs. Be it fornication, adultery, partying, drugs, drinking, cussing etc - to me, THATS their actual religion.

Success in sports is generally achieved by many factors, including talent, skill, training, practice, alertness, precision, energy, stamina and good form. This is the law of nature for everyone.

Otherwise, if prayers worked in sports then a pastor or bishop would compete and had won all bodybuilding events.
He would simply go to the church and pray instead of going to the gym.

And if it was a believer of a sportsman who prayed to God in animations then he would always, always, always won against a non-believing player.

Also, if both boxers made a cross sign before and during the game and one gets knocked out then what does it mean? Jesus loves him less than the winner?

If the praying boxer gets knocked by an atheist player, then what does it mean in terms of theology? Jesus loved the atheist more?

If a Hindu player prays to a cow before the game and his opponent Christian player prays to Jesus, but he also loses the game, then what does it mean? Jesus powers are weaker than a of a cow?

Obviously, every sportsman is free to whatever form of prayers he wants to do and I don’t have a problem with that
But, in my opinion, one can pray to God before during n after the sporting event but it must NOT be animated (do it quietly in your brain or in your heart) - AND, do not expect any divine help that will defy the laws of nature. This is NOT what God and religion are primarily about.

Old 12-24-2022, 04:43 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
I happened to catch part of an interview on the radio recently with Bud Grant, the former coach of the Minnesota Vikings. He was relaying a story of his days as a player in the NBA, when the rickety old plane they used for travel lost power after takeoff and had to glide back to the airport. The interviewer asked if he was a religious man.

Grant replied: "Not at all. I don't believe in God."

I found it curious. First, he comes from a generation (he's 95 years old) that were believers at a far more overwhelming rate than people of today. Second, he wasn't even asked specifically if he was a believer, but answered in specific detail. And as a celebrity (even today, as the interview indicates), he might've just deflected. Instead, he just matter-of-factly out it out there.

Grant never won a Super Bowl, and I guess he never blamed God for those losses.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:02 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
I am a believer in God but personally I never like or appreciate the mixing of religion and sports. NEVER!

Particularly, the animated display of religiosity during sporting events reeks hypocrisy.

In front of camera and millions of viewers, you pose to pray to God but many of these players have off the field activities that dont really adhere to their religious beliefs. Be it fornication, adultery, partying, drugs, drinking, cussing etc - to me, THATS their actual religion.

Success in sports is generally achieved by many factors, including talent, skill, training, practice, alertness, precision, energy, stamina and good form. This is the law of nature for everyone.

Otherwise, if prayers worked in sports then a pastor or bishop would compete and had won all bodybuilding events.
He would simply go to the church and pray instead of going to the gym.

And if it was a believer of a sportsman who prayed to God in animations then he would always, always, always won against a non-believing player.

Also, if both boxers made a cross sign before and during the game and one gets knocked out then what does it mean? Jesus loves him less than the winner?

If the praying boxer gets knocked by an atheist player, then what does it mean in terms of theology? Jesus loved the atheist more?

If a Hindu player prays to a cow before the game and his opponent Christian player prays to Jesus, but he also loses the game, then what does it mean? Jesus powers are weaker than a of a cow?

Obviously, every sportsman is free to whatever form of prayers he wants to do and I don’t have a problem with that
But, in my opinion, one can pray to God before during n after the sporting event but it must NOT be animated (do it quietly in your brain or in your heart) - AND, do not expect any divine help that will defy the laws of nature. This is NOT what God and religion are primarily about.
Maybe it is a misunderstanding of what prayer means. The prayer is to ask the universe to grant the strength to do one’s best. That is all. The outcome is never in our hands.
Hindus don’t pray to cows. They pray to the divinity that exists in all things, and yes in the cow, the rock, earth, trees. They see Divinity in all things, in themselves as well. So the The Hindu knows players in both teams are part of the same team, Divinity’s. Yet he prays.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:32 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Maybe it is a misunderstanding of what prayer means. The prayer is to ask the universe to grant the strength to do one’s best. That is all. The outcome is never in our hands.
Hindus don’t pray to cows. They pray to the divinity that exists in all things, and yes in the cow, the rock, earth, trees. They see Divinity in all things, in themselves as well. So the The Hindu knows players in both teams are part of the same team, Divinity’s. Yet he prays.
How do you know what each individual sportsman is praying about? You don't know the bolded. You need to get over this religious idea that you speak for everyone.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:59 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How do you know what each individual sportsman is praying about? You don't know the bolded. You need to get over this religious idea that you speak for everyone.
You’re asking quite a lot, phet—Chrismukkah Eve, a most miraculous time of the year, notwithstanding.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:04 AM

1,478 posts, read 478,639 times
I'm the worst golfer in the group I golf with. I very rarely win.

I always like seeing the smile on the face of the winner. That makes it worthwhile for me. I accept my supportive role in that.

I used to golf with the neighbor whose firstborn son died at my house four years before I was born. He was retired and called me to golf about once a week. I golfed with him at least a hundred times and never once won.

The flip side of that is in the 3rd grade, the gym teacher took us outside to play a game called round-up. There were two areas that were bases and we had to run from one base to the other without getting tagged by one of the five people in between. It whittled down to just me and all the kids who had already been tagged were yelling out get "my name".

When the gym teacher said go, I ran to the other base without being tagged. Then the gym teacher said go again, and I ran to the other base without being tagged. Then the gym teacher ended the game. So, sometimes winning can be a lonely place, where even the people who got tagged were wanting to see me lose, to the ones they were tagged by. Kind of like rooting for the other team against me. I still remember the immense feeling of freedom I had that day, by the nature of that game.

So, whether I win or lose I can still count the blessings.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:14 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
You’re asking quite a lot, phet—Chrismukkah Eve, a most miraculous time of the year, notwithstanding.
True. Asking for humility, even on Chrismukkah Eve, is asking a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality