Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 01:55 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Almost every Latino boxer you will see, just before a match starts, will kneel and do the sign of the cross. Now some people are naïve enough to say that they are praying to not injure the other boxer (which, of course, could be accomplished by not being a boxer). Trust me. Most of them are praying to win at physically beating (literally) their opponent.
Sometimes I feel bad liking football, but it is family time... As a pacifist I see people hitting each other and tackling where sometimes they get hurt and I feel like a hypocrite for that... But...it's also a sport so is it true "violence?" I don't know.

But I like in the sense that all of the men get together and its family time and I can bake them treats and have conversations. Make sure my little brother is you know on task with school and life. Plus I like some of the Michigan college players that do a lot of charity like Blake Corum with food to the poor and JJ McCarthy at children's hospitals...plus I kind of like Tom Brady for the Professional Football League. But I also had a life changing bad experience with a football player years ago too...so..

I don't know if liking the football family time makes me a hypocrite as a pacifist or anti-war. I feel like a bad person sometimes about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2022, 02:20 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
i grew up in a household that revolved around TV sports, and my experience is that it is the antithesis of family time.
every holiday was in front of the TV on and we literally could only talk during commercials, and if my dad's team was losing, we did not talk at all.

i remember a whole series of xmas times opening presents around the tree where my dad and brother did not see a single thing or pay attention to anything except the sports on TV. i absolutely hated it.

i remember once as a 19-year-old on xmas, picking up my plate and walking into the dining room instead, sitting down at the dining table, and eating my meal there instead. mind you i did not say a word to anyone, i just walked over with mhy plate to eat in a different room. well, all hell broke lose. I was yelled at, i was chastised, i was condemned for "not being part of the family" for "being rude" for "making others unhappy and uncomfortable" and I never heard the end of it. everyone in the family was furious at me. and that is not an exaggeration.

i made a commitment to myself at that time, which included two things. Both of which i kept, I am happy to say.

marry someone who did not watch TV sports (and I fulfilled that)
never have the TV on during any meal when the kids were growing up, but instead actually sit down as a family and talk to each other (and i fulfilled that)
i also decided no matter who was visiting for any holiday, that the TV would not be on during any holiday meal. and i kept to that.

family time for me is actually interacting as family members with talking and listening and looking at each other and everyone is included.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:33 PM

17,782 posts, read 13,677,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, that is not accurate at all. there have been outspoken Muslim athletes who remained popular with fans, such as Muhammed Ali and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. And outspoken Jewish athletes who remained popular with fans, such as Sandy Koufax and Mark Spitz.
First, I would not consider Jews in the same category as Muslims in this regard.

But Muhammed Ali, despite not being a college athlete and not being germane to this particular thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Muhammed Ali was a huge lightening rod. He was easily as hated as he was popular. You put a guy like that on a college football team and all kinds of heck would happen.

Jabbar was an activist as a college athlete BEFORE he became a Muslim and there was a lot of grumbling about him. Then when he became a Muslim as a pro there was a lot of grumbling. It has subsided with time as those guys retired and mellowed and people remember them for their athletic prowess and not their activism.

But I'm talking about today's athletes who have access to You tube and social media.

Here is the Oklahoma punter on his You Tube. I cannot imagine a Muslim or Atheist being able to put out content analogous to this and not have a bunch of push back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5leDcLfONmg

Last edited by eddie gein; 12-18-2022 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-18-2022, 04:59 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Sometimes I feel bad liking football, but it is family time... As a pacifist I see people hitting each other and tackling where sometimes they get hurt and I feel like a hypocrite for that... But...it's also a sport so is it true "violence?" I don't know.

But I like in the sense that all of the men get together and its family time and I can bake them treats and have conversations. Make sure my little brother is you know on task with school and life. Plus I like some of the Michigan college players that do a lot of charity like Blake Corum with food to the poor and JJ McCarthy at children's hospitals...plus I kind of like Tom Brady for the Professional Football League. But I also had a life changing bad experience with a football player years ago too...so..

I don't know if liking the football family time makes me a hypocrite as a pacifist or anti-war. I feel like a bad person sometimes about it.
I feel the same way about liking boxing. But, they're choosing to be there. What is sad to me is that for many, particularly minority boxers, it's the only way they see out of relative poverty.

The one that bothered me a lot way back was Sugar Ray Leonard. Although we didn't have his daughter in my school (at least not yet), he lived in our district. He had an eye injury and was told that he could go blind if hit in the eye again. He boxed anyway, and at that point he was relatively well off. It's sometimes difficult to understand.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:00 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
First, I would not consider Jews in the same category as Muslims in this regard.

But Muhammed Ali, despite not being a college athlete and not being germane to this particular thread is a perfect example of what I am talking about. Muhammed Ali was a huge lightening rod. He was easily as hated as he was popular. You put a guy like that on a college football team and all kinds of heck would happen.

Jabbar was an activist as a college athlete BEFORE he became a Muslim and there was a lot of grumbling about him. Then when he became a Muslim as a pro there was a lot of grumbling. It has subsided with time as those guys retired and mellowed and people remember them for their athletic prowess and not their activism.

But I'm talking about today's athletes who have access to You tube and social media.

Here is the Oklahoma punter on his You Tube. I cannot imagine a Muslim or Atheist being able to put out content analogous to this and not have a bunch of push back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5leDcLfONmg
In the earlier years, Ali was somewhat hated. The more positive view of him took a bit of time to develop, and overall I think it was well deserved.

Old 12-18-2022, 05:20 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
My husband is a huge Michigan football team fan. Michigan's team is for whatever reason very religious. They constantly have players thanking God after every win, including their head coach. They also have optional team prayers.

The team has done a lot of charity.

It annoys my husband, but I don't mind it. I see it as a way of giving thanks to the universe for their blessings. He thinks it is political in some form.

I suppose it isn't any different than actors and musicians thanking God or even making political statements.

I've done some research and found this very moving video, which is supposedly one of the first political statements at a movie awards. You should definitely see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QUacU0I4yU
Most of us of a certain age saw it live.

The woman was in the news because she died recently, and she was not a Native American. She was a fake.

Quote:
Littlefeather said her father was of Apache and Yaqui ancestry[1] and her mother was of European descent. Shortly after Littlefeather's death, Navajo writer and activist Jacqueline Keeler interviewed Littlefeather's two sisters, who say that their family is not Native American and that Littlefeather fabricated her Native American ancestry. They also said that their father, who was born in Oxnard, California, was of Spanish-Mexican descent and had no tribal ties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacheen_Littlefeather

Old 12-18-2022, 06:08 PM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times
Quote:

I’m not a pacifist, but whether or not football is “truly violent,” it is frighteningly dangerous.

I’m about as indifferent to organized sports as one can be. If by some strange happenstance, my children turn out to be athletes, they can play all the non-contact sports they want. But not football. Never football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i grew up in a household that revolved around TV sports, and my experience is that it is the antithesis of family time.
every holiday was in front of the TV on and we literally could only talk during commercials, and if my dad's team was losing, we did not talk at all.

i remember a whole series of xmas times opening presents around the tree where my dad and brother did not see a single thing or pay attention to anything except the sports on TV. i absolutely hated it.

i remember once as a 19-year-old on xmas, picking up my plate and walking into the dining room instead, sitting down at the dining table, and eating my meal there instead. mind you i did not say a word to anyone, i just walked over with mhy plate to eat in a different room. well, all hell broke lose. I was yelled at, i was chastised, i was condemned for "not being part of the family" for "being rude" for "making others unhappy and uncomfortable" and I never heard the end of it. everyone in the family was furious at me. and that is not an exaggeration.

i made a commitment to myself at that time, which included two things. Both of which i kept, I am happy to say.

marry someone who did not watch TV sports (and I fulfilled that)
never have the TV on during any meal when the kids were growing up, but instead actually sit down as a family and talk to each other (and i fulfilled that)
i also decided no matter who was visiting for any holiday, that the TV would not be on during any holiday meal. and i kept to that.

family time for me is actually interacting as family members with talking and listening and looking at each other and everyone is included.
You had a Christmas tree growing up?

Old 12-18-2022, 07:42 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I’m not a pacifist, but whether or not football is “truly violent,” it is frighteningly dangerous. I’m about as indifferent to organized sports as one can be. If by some strange happenstance, my children turn out to be athletes, they can play all the non-contact sports they want. But not football. Never football. You had a Christmas tree growing up?
i didn't find out i was Jewish until i was almost 50. i figured i would go to shul once, just to see what it was like. and i have been going ever since. that was 15 years ago. my mother's family fled Danzig (they were German-speaking Jews) when she was about 7 years old. The relatives who could not get out all were killed in the Holocaust. My mother married a non-Jew and we were told not to tell anyone she immigrated from Danzig.

The first time i ever heard davening in Hebrew, which was the first time i ever went to shul, i was so moved it felt like i was going to leave my body. i could not understand a word of the Service, but every cell in my body was responding powerfully.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-18-2022 at 07:53 PM..

Old 12-18-2022, 09:33 PM

1,750 posts, read 753,400 times
Moderator cut: Quoted post has been deleted.

Moderator cut: Response To deleted post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Most of us of a certain age saw it live.

The woman was in the news because she died recently, and she was not a Native American. She was a fake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacheen_Littlefeather
Well...I went from feeling empowered to deflated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
At Oklahoma fan our punter is a guy that has a You Tube channel that is basically devoted to Christian evangelism. And most of the fans think it's great. He has a big following. All kinds of people praising him for his videos and his willingness to share his faith.
I watched a part of his video and it is a bit pushy...I wasn't a fan of his style.... Now back to bed after milking.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-19-2022 at 02:58 AM.. Reason: Deleted troll post and response thereto

Old 12-18-2022, 10:46 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Almost every Latino boxer you will see, just before a match starts, will kneel and do the sign of the cross. Now some people are naïve enough to say that they are praying to not injure the other boxer (which, of course, could be accomplished by not being a boxer). Trust me. Most of them are praying to win at physically beating (literally) their opponent.
I saw Lionel Messi do it at the soccer World Cup too.
Lots of Latino people do it in all sports.
It’s a very Catholic thing to do.
Eastern Orthodox sportsmen, like tennis player Novak Djokovic, also do it - usually after a big victory.
The Orthodox sign of the cross is distinguished by the right shoulder being first.
FWIW low church Evangelical Protestants usually despise the sign of the cross, claiming that it doesn’t glorify God and that it is un-Biblical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality