Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2022, 08:07 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
What kind of power?
Jeepers.

I stunned that some of you are so rigid in your thinking that you can't grasp this possibility.

Teachers, particularly moral teachers who are attempting to change people's belief systems, have and use power. Personal power. And they use that power to multiply the number of people that begin to share their beliefs. Are you all telling me that upon Jesus' death that all the disciples were simply going to close up shop and go back to fishing or whatever else they had been doing previously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2022, 09:25 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Then I can ask the question why they didn't just disband and go back to their previous lives.
A very good question. I would say it's because they truly believed that Jesus rose from the dead.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:26 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Jeepers.

I stunned that some of you are so rigid in your thinking that you can't grasp this possibility.

Teachers, particularly moral teachers who are attempting to change people's belief systems, have and use power. Personal power. And they use that power to multiply the number of people that begin to share their beliefs. Are you all telling me that upon Jesus' death that all the disciples were simply going to close up shop and go back to fishing or whatever else they had been doing previously?
If Jesus had not risen from the dead, then yes that's exactly what they would have done. It would have been obvious that they had been deceived and would have to wait for the real Messiah.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
Jeepers.

How is my asking you questions being "rigid" in my thinking? Besides, you have NO IDEA whether or not a believer has even thought of that possibility before...and dismissed it, as it was unfounded.

Quote:
Teachers, particularly moral teachers who are attempting to change people's belief systems, have and use power. Personal power. And they use that power to multiply the number of people that begin to share their beliefs.
Again, for what purpose would they do that?

Quote:
Are you all telling me that upon Jesus' death that all the disciples were simply going to close up shop and go back to fishing or whatever else they had been doing previously?
It wasn't Jesus' death that influenced the disciples; it was his resurrection. Had Jesus simply died on the cross, MOST of his followers probably would have gone right back to their normal lives. In fact, many of his followers did exactly that, because they didn't witness a resurrected Jesus.

Some event-- something major -- influenced Jesus' disciples to continue his work, even at the risk -- and fulfillment -- of their own deaths.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:45 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Jeepers.

You were a teacher. Was power your motivation? It may have been, but that doesn't mean it's true for everyone who has information and the desire to share it.

I don't think power was the original motivation for spreading the gospel, nor is it for every teacher. They simply think that they have knowledge that's so important that they want to share with others.

Power did come into the church and corrupted that original motivation, and as we know, still does.

Old 12-17-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You were a teacher. Was power your motivation? It may have been, but that doesn't mean it's true for everyone who has information and the desire to share it.

I don't think power was the original motivation for spreading the gospel, nor is it for every teacher. They simply think that they have knowledge that's so important that they want to share with others.

Power did come into the church and corrupted that original motivation, and as we know, still does.
In a sense, yes. The power to lead kids to learn, to seek better lives.

Old 12-18-2022, 09:39 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
In a sense, yes. The power to lead kids to learn, to seek better lives.
Interesting. That's what Jesus wanted for us, too.

Old 12-18-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Interesting. That's what Jesus wanted for us, too.
Yes, by using his growing power and influence.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,932,054 times
Jesus warned that men would use the power of His name to decieve, but judgment laid against them not actually under His Lordship.
Matthew7:21,22,23,.

Old 12-19-2022, 11:36 AM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Power did come into the church and corrupted that original motivation, and as we know, it still does.
The Gospel of Jesus was Good News about our God who IS agape love and forgiveness, especially in that barbarous era to those who feared a wrathful and vengeful War God who needed to be appeased by blood sacrifices!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality