Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 11:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,575,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
....It has made me question the church and human nature in general.

I am curious to hear what others have to say, Christian or not. Why do you bring up others sins to them? Why would another's sin prevent them from being a Christian?
Yep, some people gotta judge. Usually those with low self-esteem that are always trying to prove (to themselves) how much better they are to the lowly "sinners."

Forgive them, and forget them. As long as your heart is kind and you practice your faith, that is all that matters. Keep your eyes on God. Pray for everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 11:24 AM

5,525 posts, read 7,364,884 times
Quote:
My partner and I are in a unique situation. We are not married, though we have been together for 24 years and have lived together for 17 of them. We WANT to get married, but he is on disability for several conditions and his health insurance would drastically change and he would lose crucial and vital benefits as my income would only be counted if we were married. We can not afford this loss (and yes we have researched with many many people and places to try to figure this out, including the Social Security Administration). it seems very unfair and punishing, but this is the reality of many with disabilities who do not have a lot of money to work with. We consider ourselves married anyway and even have wedding rings because we are very very committed to one another and have been for many years.

My "husband" is dying now from a progressive lung disease. I care for him around the clock while juggling working full time and we are fighting to get him a lung transplant. He also has another disease that holds a stigma to it that I will not share the name of, but it is perceived as related to sexual stuff. We are very responsible people, and we deeply love one another. I have made many sacrifices to care for and love him.

Nevertheless, I have faced more criticism and judgment from other "Christians" than anyone else, and less compassion. Because we are not legally married it's as if we have committed the worst sin living together. I have been accused of not being a true Christian. My husband has been told he "deserves" the diseases he has and somehow it is his fault for past sins.

I have also seen a lot of judgmental comments from Christians to others on forums that have nothing to do with religion. I am very surprised at this. Shouldn't we leave judgment up to Jesus? I always thought the only requirement to be a Christian is accepting Jesus gift of salvation and having complete faith in Him. Are we not all sinners on some level? Who is so self righteous they are able to cast the first stone?

I am very disappointed and upset by the treatment we have received from other Christians. We currently stay home and do not attend church but watch a live service on tv weekly, and have daily devotions with one another. We pray every day, and we share the Good News with others when it is appropriate. Other than that, I can't even imagine condemning and criticizing another person's lifestyle or situation, especially at face value.

It has made me question the church and human nature in general.

I am curious to hear what others have to say, Christian or not. Why do you bring up others sins to them? Why would another's sin prevent them from being a Christian?
IMHO, your married.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:35 PM

2,229 posts, read 783,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's certainly some strains of Christianity, where if you're not behaving like a golden retriever nonstop, then there's something wrong with you. Yet there are other movements within the faith that recognize and respect pain and grief and depression, addressing those not with empty bromides but constancy and presence.

In other words, there's no all-encompassing statement one can make about a faith that embraces and nurtures 2.4 billion people.
Yes, but when I talk about Christians, I often talk about weird fundamentalistic sect and cults from the Biblebelt and not about let's say a regular Italian-American Catholic from Brooklyn.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:10 PM

10,508 posts, read 7,084,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
Yes, but when I talk about Christians, I often talk about weird fundamentalistic sect and cults from the Biblebelt and not about let's say a regular Italian-American Catholic from Brooklyn.

I get it. But it's important to make that distinction from the beginning.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:55 PM

2,229 posts, read 783,357 times
In a way these odd sects and cults from mostly remote rural areas of USA have tarnished the reputation of Christianity pemanently. Yes, amost all Finns belong to the Lutheran church but tend to be very moderate in their views and practice cultural Christianity instead.

Now, America is differet animal when it comes to Christianity.

Last edited by Metamorphosis69; 11-20-2022 at 10:19 PM..

Old 11-23-2022, 10:50 AM

2,162 posts, read 1,083,664 times
Quote:
My partner and I are in a unique situation. We are not married, though we have been together for 24 years and have lived together for 17 of them. We WANT to get married, but he is on disability for several conditions and his health insurance would drastically change and he would lose crucial and vital benefits as my income would only be counted if we were married. We can not afford this loss (and yes we have researched with many many people and places to try to figure this out, including the Social Security Administration). it seems very unfair and punishing, but this is the reality of many with disabilities who do not have a lot of money to work with. We consider ourselves married anyway and even have wedding rings because we are very very committed to one another and have been for many years.

My "husband" is dying now from a progressive lung disease. I care for him around the clock while juggling working full time and we are fighting to get him a lung transplant. He also has another disease that holds a stigma to it that I will not share the name of, but it is perceived as related to sexual stuff. We are very responsible people, and we deeply love one another. I have made many sacrifices to care for and love him.

Nevertheless, I have faced more criticism and judgment from other "Christians" than anyone else, and less compassion. Because we are not legally married it's as if we have committed the worst sin living together. I have been accused of not being a true Christian. My husband has been told he "deserves" the diseases he has and somehow it is his fault for past sins.

I have also seen a lot of judgmental comments from Christians to others on forums that have nothing to do with religion. I am very surprised at this. Shouldn't we leave judgment up to Jesus? I always thought the only requirement to be a Christian is accepting Jesus gift of salvation and having complete faith in Him. Are we not all sinners on some level? Who is so self righteous they are able to cast the first stone?

I am very disappointed and upset by the treatment we have received from other Christians. We currently stay home and do not attend church but watch a live service on tv weekly, and have daily devotions with one another. We pray every day, and we share the Good News with others when it is appropriate. Other than that, I can't even imagine condemning and criticizing another person's lifestyle or situation, especially at face value.

All Christians sin. Nobody is exempt from sinning. it's our nature and we all fall short. Nobody should be judging you or telling you things that are hurtful. THAT is not being a good Christian. You have done nothing to deserve that type treatment. You must ignore or just flat out tell them to leave you alone. Most Christians would not talk to you that way.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,074,454 times
Quote:

Have you talked to a pastor about it? Have you had a church ceremony to be married? If not, why not?

Old 11-23-2022, 12:13 PM

51,033 posts, read 24,537,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Have you talked to a pastor about it? Have you had a church ceremony to be married? If not, why not?
There's the judgmental attitude.

Old 11-23-2022, 04:06 PM

7,608 posts, read 6,114,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
She explained the reason that they cannot get married in the first post. Go back and read it slowly, until you get it.

Personally, a pastor would be about the last person I would consult about anything. Especially if the pastor is anything like the "Christians" who are harassing her. Most people who act like she is describing have a astor or minister who is weekly stirring the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's the judgmental attitude.

Funny, but I had predicted that type of response sooner or later on this thread. Metamorphosis, a few posts up, made an observation of certain fundamentalist sects and Bible belt religions. And in walks the very caricature of a Bible Belt Baptist, the very ones who daily tarnish the image of otherwise mellow, loving Christians....

Old 11-30-2022, 12:00 PM

45,728 posts, read 27,355,122 times
Quote:

I'm curious as to what God has spoken to you on this.

I do think marriage by law in America and marriage by God's standards are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality