Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 03:42 PM

7,596 posts, read 4,166,702 times

Advertisements

My "spiritual" quotes, or the ones that keep me going, are these:
Don't cook a meal that you are not willing to clean up after.
You can't care more than the other person.

Okay, that's a bit negative.
Cook a meal that you are willing to clean up after.
Be sure to match the amount of care the other person has for themself and no less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 07:32 PM

1,756 posts, read 756,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
"I was told to wait on the Lord for an answer. So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Still waiting. And very exhausted. Still".
I am sorry that you feel that you were never answered. Some people think there are different ways people can be answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'd just get plenty of rest, a good meal, and maybe some time in nature. That's my solution to exhaustion. No sayings to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I started reading this thread with interest, because just yesterday I found myself feeling sluggish as a result of too little sleep the night before, but then I got to the part about you wanting our "spiritual/religious quotes for exhaustion," and I feel left out. Too bad so sad if the notion here is that we atheists don't have good quotes, stories and/or advice when it comes to such things...
I am sorry that you feel left out. That was not my intention. This is the religion and spirituality thread so I thought I was covering all the bases, but I guess I messed up. Of course you are free to comment as needed. Aren't some atheists "spiritual?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You are a young mother with two small children and a house to run. Of course you are exhausted! No quotes or stories except grab that nap whenever you can! Hugs.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
QB, there is nothing more demanding in every department (and ultimately, potentially thankless, TBH) than being a parent.

Just don't make the mistake my daughter made, and have FIVE of them, lol. Currently they range from 4 to 19 years old, and at least one is out of the nest, and another ready to fledge. She is 43 and still feels like you every day. If you play your cards right, your 40s will be far less ... interesting, lol.

I had two children, and in retrospect frankly don't know how I did it. But I did. For a time, as a single parent, too.

One time when my daughter was about 12 or 13 I told her that I would take her with me on a business trip if she would write a report about it (I was home schooling her at the time). She's now a trade journalist in the health care field and a licensed nurse, and recently she wrote a meta-piece about writing in which she recounted this event in very fond / warm terms and included a detail I had forgotten. When we got home she enthusiastically wrote up her report and when I read it I shook my head and said, this assumes I know all about the trip and all about us and the destination; it's just stream-of-consciousness repeating of stuff happening. Rewrite it from the viewpoint of someone who doesn't know you or me or the destination. Paint them a picture, so that they can visualize themselves having your experience.

She went back and rewrote it with that in mind and I gave her an A on it. And she now says that has always stuck with her, to write from the viewpoint of your audience, to always be mindful to correctly discern who your audience is.

These are the offhand moments you live for as a parent -- those times when you think you are just doing what you do every day, but it really connects and means something to the child -- even if you hear about it decades after the fact. These are the things that keep you going. Have faith that they will happen, even when your child is being a little booger, as they will often be. What they will ultimately remember is not your exhaustion, but that you were always there for them.

You sound like a wonderful, dedicated mother.
Thank you.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:13 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
My "spiritual" quotes, or the ones that keep me going, are these:
Don't cook a meal that you are not willing to clean up after.
You can't care more than the other person.

Okay, that's a bit negative.
Cook a meal that you are willing to clean up after.
Be sure to match the amount of care the other person has for themself and no less.
I'm always willing to clean up, but sometimes not until the next morning. My wife often has something of a problem with that. I'm not sure I understand the caring about others part, but thinking about it reminds me of this quote I've always been fond of remembering and passing along...

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- unknown

Old 11-17-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I am sorry that you feel that you were never answered. Some people think there are different ways people can be answered.

I am sorry that you feel left out. That was not my intention. This is the religion and spirituality thread so I thought I was covering all the bases, but I guess I messed up. Of course you are free to comment as needed. Aren't some atheists "spiritual?"
Thanks for the green light. With pleasure...

I don't think it is accurate to call myself spiritual, since I use other terms to describe what I think are largely the same emotions, experiences and feelings that I share with others who describe themselves as spiritual but not believing in a god. We all just interpret and define, describe, those same emotions, experiences and feelings differently is all.

Just as you explain "some people think there are different ways people are answered."

So true, but whether there is actually an answer happening or whether it's all about what goes on between the ears, I find little evidence or reason to think it's anything but what goes on between the ears. No different from how some people can fear the dark while others don't, even though what's actually in the dark is exactly the same thing. As such, whatever "some people think" and their reasons for thinking what they do can be as varied and different as all people tend to be.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:47 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
QB, there is nothing more demanding in every department (and ultimately, potentially thankless, TBH) than being a parent.

Just don't make the mistake my daughter made, and have FIVE of them, lol. Currently they range from 4 to 19 years old, and at least one is out of the nest, and another ready to fledge. She is 43 and still feels like you every day. If you play your cards right, your 40s will be far less ... interesting, lol.
A mistake, eh? How many and which of your grandchildren would you eliminate?

If you were joking, it wasn't funny.

Old 11-17-2022, 10:49 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Sorry I don't have any quotes for you QB, but you truly are a hero and an inspiration.

Your husband, like me, is a lucky man!

Keep doing what you're doing!

Old 11-17-2022, 11:13 AM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Thanks for the green light. With pleasure...

I don't think it is accurate to call myself spiritual, since I use other terms to describe what I think are largely the same emotions, experiences and feelings that I share with others who describe themselves as spiritual but not believing in a god. We all just interpret and define, describe, those same emotions, experiences and feelings differently is all.

Just as you explain "some people think there are different ways people are answered."

So true, but whether there is actually an answer happening or whether it's all about what goes on between the ears, I find little evidence or reason to think it's anything but what goes on between the ears. No different from how some people can fear the dark while others don't, even though what's actually in the dark is exactly the same thing. As such, whatever "some people think" and their reasons for thinking what they do can be as varied and different as all people tend to be.
Since absolutely EVERYTHING we experience is mediated by "what goes on between the ears" how can that possibly be some kind of differentiating factor, LeranMe??? I realize you are convinced it can be, but I see no way for that to be so.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since absolutely EVERYTHING we experience is mediated by "what goes on between the ears" how can that possibly be some kind of differentiating factor, LeranMe??? I realize you are convinced it can be, but I see no way for that to be so.
I agree that absolutely EVERYTHING we experience is "what goes on between the ears."

By this I mean that we are able to think, imagine, experience and feel what seems like a supernatural message or link from beyond, but all evidence and consideration I've been able to apply about these claims has me convinced that it's all in the individual's mind. Not existing or coming from anywhere else.

Does this help clarify what I see as the "differentiating factor?"

Old 11-17-2022, 02:27 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
I agree that absolutely EVERYTHING we experience is "what goes on between the ears."

By this I mean that we are able to think, imagine, experience and feel what seems like a supernatural message or link from beyond, but all evidence and consideration I've been able to apply about these claims has me convinced that it's all in the individual's mind. Not existing or coming from anywhere else.

Does this help clarify what I see as the "differentiating factor?"
What I see is that you insist on using the artifice of the "supernatural" as something to establish the actual existence of to maintain your artificial differentiation. There is no supernatural and no need for one except as a "straw man" easily defeated. But we DO have a very "natural" distinction between our macro level of existence and the micro level (quantum) of existence that is very real!!!

The level of quanta is as inaccessible to us at our macro level as any supposed supernatural realm would be. What makes it doubly difficult is the very attribute itself (consciousness) we use to consider these factors exists at the level of quanta. Talk about a double-whammy complication "between our ears" in accessing and evaluating the composition of our Reality!

Old 11-17-2022, 04:22 PM

20,020 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
A mistake, eh? How many and which of your grandchildren would you eliminate?

If you were joking, it wasn't funny.
Obviously I don't mean it in that way. It is just a huge commitment economically and emotionally and physically to have even 2 children these days, if you want to insure that the children you do have are adequately parented and nurtured. And we're not even considering the sort of world we're bringing them into.

My children's biological mother was also severely mentally ill. I advised both my children to adopt rather than have their own. My son never had children, but of the five my daughter had, a couple of them are already pretty clearly having mental health challenges. So that's also in play. I think having children can be both selfless and selfISH, depending on the lens you look at it through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality