Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 09:07 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You're not like this so you probably don't realize how much religion is used to dehumanize people. Us vs them is the foundation of some sects. Too many sects.
Absolutely. Religion is used and abused for corrupt purposes. Politics as well. Money, power, and control are used to divide. We have a lot on our hands in the way of common evils. Those need to be exposed, to move in the opposite direction. But also necessary is calling out smear tactics that lie and distort what is good and beneficial, getting lumped in with the wicked in the mad rush to damn what isn't understood or understood clearly or deeply enough.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:08 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
You're not like this so you probably don't realize how much religion is used to dehumanize people. Us vs them is the foundation of some sects. Too many sects.
"Us vs them" is not inherently dehumanizing.

In keeping with the thread topic; there are many examples of the Nazis using propaganda to dehumanize their opponents. But I am not aware of them using religion to do it.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
Every SS man had a belt buckle with a skull an the words "Gott Mit Uns" - "God On Our Side".

https://www.google.fi/search?q=gott+...elt+buckle&gs_
They really weren't. And it really is not fair to judge a religion based on nominal adherents.

That's like saying Mao was an atheist, so all atheists are evil.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:31 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,331,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
"Us vs them" is not inherently dehumanizing.

In keeping with the thread topic; there are many examples of the Nazis using propaganda to dehumanize their opponents. But I am not aware of them using religion to do it.
I disagree. Why do you need a them?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
They really weren't. And it really is not fair to judge a religion based on nominal adherents.

That's like saying Mao was an atheist, so all atheists are evil.
Aren't we?

Old 11-15-2022, 09:43 AM

3,275 posts, read 1,751,783 times
The catholic church (at least in Germany) was complicit in war crimes with the Nazi's. Do a search. I'm first generation of a German family born in the US and a catholic school survivor. The day I discovered this was the last day I set foot in a catholic church. Never Again.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:46 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
The Nazis were very spiritual people, they had often spiritism sessions and were into the occult.
That depends. They did not all share the same religious beliefs. Many of the lower ranks from Germany were orthodox Christians, but others from outside Germany were Muslims.

But this connection between religion and the Nazi's is weak, it is a correlation, not a causation. While Hitler used the anti-Semite Martin Luther's works to attack Jews, he also connected them to communism, as that was a stronger motive.

Old 11-15-2022, 09:57 AM

13,626 posts, read 7,951,020 times
Quote:
I disagree. Why do you need a them?
You don't need a "them", it's just a fact of reality.

Humans oppose one another and have competing interests.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:02 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
To me there are 3 possibilities here:

Nazis were officially christian: So I would ask did the Third Reich state such. I don't know the answer.
Nazis were officially NOT christian.
The Third Reich did not have a firm position, but many (if not most) Nazis were christian.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That depends. They did not all share the same religious beliefs. Many of the lower ranks from Germany were orthodox Christians, but others from outside Germany were Muslims.

But this connection between religion and the Nazi's is weak, it is a correlation, not a causation. While Hitler used the anti-Semite Martin Luther's works to attack Jews, he also connected them to communism, as that was a stronger motive.
I can barely tolerate reading or thinking about the Holocaust. I did watch a documentary that had footage of the Nazi leadership being questioned. They had that glazed out look and we're spouting all sorts of majical thinking against the Jews. Things that couldn't possibly be true. Religion lends itself very well to putting people in that mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality