Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 07:35 PM

344 posts, read 145,774 times

Advertisements

We have so many hireling Pastors that it just boggles the mind. These Pastors just download sermons from the internet and read from a screen. How pathetic is this. I sit through entire sermons and the message never even mentions the word SIN one single time, no not once.

The sermon was about Corinth. Corinth in it's biblical time was a filthy, disgusting place full of all sorts of wickedness. The Hireling simply says they had some moral issues. Get out of the pulpit Hireling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 08:16 PM

51,019 posts, read 24,518,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post
We have so many hireling Pastors that it just boggles the mind. These Pastors just download sermons from the internet and read from a screen. How pathetic is this. I sit through entire sermons and the message never even mentions the word SIN one single time, no not once.

The sermon was about Corinth. Corinth in it's biblical time was a filthy, disgusting place full of all sorts of wickedness. The Hireling simply says they had some moral issues. Get out of the pulpit Hireling.
Just curious...what's wrong with reading from a screen? I don't expect speakers to memorize something as long as a sermon.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:13 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,070,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaEnd View Post

We can agree that a preacher that buys his sermons or plagiarizes is wrong. It's sin to do so. He should not be in ministry.

We can also agree that the sermon is to be about Jesus saving us, and yes-- sin is to be mentioned.

But what's your concern about a screen? Is it the use of Powerpoint? You have an issue with a projector? Or does he read it off of an iPad and that's your issue?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:20 PM

88,751 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Just curious...what's wrong with reading from a screen? I don't expect speakers to memorize something as long as a sermon.
I would expect a sermon to be short enough that the pastor would be able to just get up and talk, maybe with a few notes or an outline as a reminder. If we can give presentations that way in the secular world, so can a preacher! Maybe without PowerPoint slides though.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:24 PM

Why does sin have to be mentioned in every sermon?

Old 10-21-2022, 07:31 PM

33,349 posts, read 26,570,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why does sin have to be mentioned in every sermon?
It doesn't.

Old 10-21-2022, 10:08 PM

17,855 posts, read 13,780,422 times
I wouldn't think that after the gazillions of sermons preached through the years that there really all that many fresh ideas.

Why not recycle them? Some of them might be good ones and likely better than the preacher himself could come up with.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:12 AM

20,104 posts, read 13,564,519 times
I think the OP is objecting as much to PowerPoint presentations as to sermon-pilfering. How does he know that the sermons are someone else's inconvenienced electrons, and not those of the person presenting them?

Back in my day, our version of this was the "three-point sermon" which was a formula taught to pastors for outlining / structuring the message. It usually used alliteration to try to make the points more memorable. In the hands of some orators -- the less creative thinkers -- it had the effect of making sermons seem like a low-budget TV series: highly formulaic and predictable. Especially because we were Bibliolaters, and it was acceptable to drone through a verse-by-verse exposition of the book of Amos or whatever as if god had something to say to the listener from every sentence, including genealogies and tirades about Baal worship. That's what comes of not teaching from first principles. I think good pastors know their people, and can exhort them to things like love, kindness, integrity, patience, and the various virtues, using scripture to support people being their best selves. When the objective is just to pump Bible verses into people divorced from their real needs and struggles, then it is no wonder that people become bored out of their gourds.

Old 10-22-2022, 02:14 AM

20,104 posts, read 13,564,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Pre power-point, pastors had notes in front of them on the lectern and no one complained about that; in fact, it was expected. Maybe some people thought those guys were really extemporizing or were geniuses, and PowerPoint just ruins the illusion?

Old 10-22-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I think the OP is objecting as much to PowerPoint presentations as to sermon-pilfering. How does he know that the sermons are someone else's inconvenienced electrons, and not those of the person presenting them?

Back in my day, our version of this was the "three-point sermon" which was a formula taught to pastors for outlining / structuring the message. It usually used alliteration to try to make the points more memorable. In the hands of some orators -- the less creative thinkers -- it had the effect of making sermons seem like a low-budget TV series: highly formulaic and predictable. Especially because we were Bibliolaters, and it was acceptable to drone through a verse-by-verse exposition of the book of Amos or whatever as if god had something to say to the listener from every sentence, including genealogies and tirades about Baal worship. That's what comes of not teaching from first principles. I think good pastors know their people, and can exhort them to things like love, kindness, integrity, patience, and the various virtues, using scripture to support people being their best selves. When the objective is just to pump Bible verses into people divorced from their real needs and struggles, then it is no wonder that people become bored out of their gourds.
That is why I liked my old priest so much, the one who was a Catholic priest, quit, got married, got a marketing job with AT&T and then served as our part-time Episcopal priest for five years after he retired.

In our church, there is a lectionary, a schedule for reading the entire Bible over (I think) three years, so every week a Psalm, an OT reading, a non-gospel NT reading, and the gospel. The priest is supposed to find a theme in the readings to base his sermon on.

One time the overarching theme from scripture that week seemed to be about hospitality. He is from Italy, so he listened to Italian news, and it was the time when Syrian refugees were escaping the war there a few years ago. Unscrupulous people were taking money from Syrians to get on a boat for Italy, but then they would rendezvous with another boat off the Sicilian coast, abandon the boat with the Syrians on it after setting it on a course for Sicily, and the boats would just wreck on the rocks, leaving some Syrians dead and others in Siciliy illegally with nowhere to go.

This was not in keeping with the biblical directive of hospitality, in his view. His overall point was to have compassion for refugees and welcome and help them, which is not always a popular stance in some parts of American Christendom. That was his sermon. Some people didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality