Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 08:32 AM

1,480 posts, read 480,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is not the best way to use the power of the internet. One can make judgements about the author of the articles,check their qualifications, authenticity, and read their conclusions of their research oneself with the links. That might lead you to further links. You should not depend on my choices of what you should read, or demand that I give you a nice neat abstract that synthesizes all the information so you can pick it apart with no sound basis of your own and not having read the material. That is not only lazy it leaves you with knowing nothing more than your own biases, not new ways of thinking about the subject which is what reading should do.
Seems enough people are interested and reading and getting something out of it. The post is not just for you, in fact it may not even be for someone like you. I dont read every post on this forum, I skip right past many that I have no interest in. You should too.
I hope this post isn't deemed off topic, but just going with the flow. I have written on the internet for nearly 18 years and all of my previous writings on various forums have been removed from the internet.

For the most part what I share are listening and prayerful responses. A friend of mine told me to watch the movie "The Accountant". And many things in that movie stood out to me, like at the end when the guy said that, maybe they are learning how to say what they are looking to share (about the autistic), or maybe we have to learn to listen.

And the Pollok painting in the movie reminded me of a thread I started in the last forum I posted on, because in a thread I started, a response to my opening post was a Pollock painting. I was banned in that thread and came back a few months later and wrote till they shut down the forum.

The Pollock painting also reminded me of my writings here, because it appears to be all over the place to the casual observer, but it isn't. And just as the song at the end of the movie sang; I just wanted to leave something behind.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:50 AM

16,790 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
No strawman when the claims are so easy to find. A simple search right here on this forum will reveal several posters claiming the same. Everything from world wars to the Partition of India has been blamed on religion. You are being disingenuous.
Here is something to refresh your mind about Atheist conviction on the cause of wars, even though you are trying to derail the topic.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...n_6156878.html
So not ALL wars (which is the straw man).

And you call me disingenuous.

As for the derail, again you are being dishonest, I was responding to Danny, who raised the straw man about ALL wars.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:53 AM

Default Cough, morality police in Iran, cough.

Quote:
you are entitled to your opinion. post colonial history would help, but who needs facts.
The topic is not whether religion causes conflicts. the topic is secularism, westernism, and globalization and prosperity have NOT effected religion to diminish. it has in fact made it flourish with assertiveness.
So once again, do you have a honest, respectable source for your claims, or are you going to evade again.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
That Conservapedia has been able to synthesize research data produced by scholars need not stop anyone from accessing those original research by oneself and draw his own conclusions. All links are provided. Knowledge can come from everywhere.
You could do some honest research, and then you will find Conservapedia does not synthesize research data, it misrepresents it.

That big hint you ignored, the universe is older than 6000 years old.

Old 10-18-2022, 01:33 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So once again, do you have a honest, respectable source for your claims, or are you going to evade again.
The laws, ordinances, and regulations in any jurisdiction are based upon what the leaders feel should be the "moral metric/standard" that is to be followed...with various levels of sanctions/punishment for failure to comply.
Thus...the "Law Enforcement" anywhere are essentially the "Morality Police".
In every society, there will be those that find things that are legally allowed to be immoral, in their opinion...and that which is proscribed by law that they feel is morally fine.

What is considered "immoral/moral" in Iran is what it is.
Differing views of it are of no greater or lesser objective merit.

Last edited by GldnRule; 10-18-2022 at 02:11 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 01:48 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You could do some honest research, and then you will find Conservapedia does not synthesize research data, it misrepresents it.

That big hint you ignored, the universe is older than 6000 years old.
Just reading the intro section about Conservapedia on Wikipedia is shocking.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Is there a point to this post, or are you simply re-distributing something you came across?

Old 10-18-2022, 02:57 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,044,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Is there a point to this post, or are you simply re-distributing something you came across?
Yes there is a point. It has been made several times up thread.
And your point is?

Old 10-18-2022, 09:10 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Quote:
That is not the best way to use the power of the internet. One can make judgements about the author of the articles,check their qualifications, authenticity, and read their conclusions of their research oneself with the links. That might lead you to further links. You should not depend on my choices of what you should read, or demand that I give you a nice neat abstract that synthesizes all the information so you can pick it apart with no sound basis of your own and not having read the material. That is not only lazy it leaves you with knowing nothing more than your own biases, not new ways of thinking about the subject which is what reading should do.
Seems enough people are interested and reading and getting something out of it. The post is not just for you, in fact it may not even be for someone like you. I dont read every post on this forum, I skip right past many that I have no interest in. You should too.
WOW I can see nothing has changed.

Old 10-19-2022, 09:57 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,554,984 times
Quote:
Yes there is a point. It has been made several times up thread.
And your point is?
I think I made it. Generally when one posts to a forum there is either a question, or an assertion/point made and if there is a link it is to support the assertion, or provide the basis for the question. You did neither, so I was seeking clarification. One shouldn't have to read further than the OP to understand the question or assertion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.