Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 11:24 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sadly, that is where the "Catholic-like" adjective applies. In the eyes of his current followers, THEIR religious beliefs are what SHOULD be universal! But to the Bab, ALL religions are about the same and ONLY God, which I obviously agree with. They just have different culturally diverse and biased (and often misguided) beliefs about God. Unfortunately, his followers have built on its Islamic origin in much the same way that Christianity built on its Hebrew origins. We are a perverse species indeed, Mink!
It's interesting that you say that, Mystic. Interesting because of what happened to me the day after I re-joined the Catholic faith.

I re-joined on a Saturday, and the next day I wanted to go to Mass. So, there I am standing with everyone else during our collective Profession of Faith. I got to the part that says, "...we believe in one holy catholic (yes, with a small "c") and apostolic church..." and I STOPPED. I remember thinking, "B-b-b-but, I DON'T believe that!" I started thinking about all the corruptions in the church...all of the traditions of the church, and how the church seemed more concerned with whether or not we eat meat on Friday, rather than how we treat others.

I had a long talk with God about that. I told Him, "I don't believe in the church the way it is NOW. But I DO believe in the way it was intended to be."

I DO see the major religions as having an 'overlap' in their beliefs, and it's in the overlaps that I have the more interest.

Not sure if I'm saying it right but does that make sense? (sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm making sense to myself! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2022, 12:15 PM

63,833 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
It's interesting that you say that, Mystic. Interesting because of what happened to me the day after I re-joined the Catholic faith.

I re-joined on a Saturday, and the next day I wanted to go to Mass. So, there I am standing with everyone else during our collective Profession of Faith. I got to the part that says, "...we believe in one holy catholic (yes, with a small "c") and apostolic church..." and I STOPPED. I remember thinking, "B-b-b-but, I DON'T believe that!" I started thinking about all the corruptions in the church...all of the traditions of the church, and how the church seemed more concerned with whether or not we eat meat on Friday, rather than how we treat others.

I had a long talk with God about that. I told Him, "I don't believe in the church the way it is NOW. But I DO believe in the way it was intended to be."

I DO see the major religions as having an 'overlap' in their beliefs, and it's in the overlaps that I have the more interest.

Not sure if I'm saying it right but does that make sense? (sometimes I'm not even sure if I'm making sense to myself! )
You make perfect sense, Mink. Don't ever let anyone gaslight you. Bottom line: we are ALL as Jesus said - "We know not what we do!" But we can only do our best and it will usually be right if it is motivated and guided by agape love for one another.

Old 10-15-2022, 02:19 PM

15,980 posts, read 7,039,821 times
Quote:

Perfect sense

Old 10-15-2022, 02:19 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,794,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You make perfect sense, Mink. Don't ever let anyone gaslight you. Bottom line: we are ALL as Jesus said - "We know not what we do!" But we can only do our best and it will usually be right if it is motivated and guided by agape love for one another.
Thanks, Mystic! While I don't think I'm being 'gaslit', I DO tend to question myself quite often. And I DO tend to cry out to God sometimes, "Help! I don't know what I'm doing!" And I DO say that out loud, while thanking God that I live alone, and that no one can hear me.

I really do like this new faith, although I wouldn't 'jump ship' because of it. If anything, I'd incorporate some of the ideas into my own faith.

Or, would I?

I'm beginning to think that some people aren't really looking for a faith to adhere to, but a faith that matches their own way of thinking. For instance, it seems the Baha'i faith regards women as equal to men. I like that idea. Not because I'm some 'feminine Nazi', but because I believe that women are an integral part of society as a whole.

Meanwhile, the Catholic church (for example) doesn't allow women to be priests. I really don't have a problem with that, as long as it's merely 'tradition'...and NOT because the tradition came about because the men believed that women were too 'inferior' to hold that position.

Again, does that make sense? (Mink, doubts herself, once again! )

Old 10-20-2022, 12:42 PM

979 posts, read 1,059,711 times
Quote:
My 29 year old daughter came to visit me today. While we have kept in touch with phone calls/texts/emails/skype, we hadn't seen each other for 10 years.

We had a wonderful visit. Chit-chatting the whole day. She knows I'm Catholic and the conversation turned to Christianity.

I know she's not Christian. I have no issue with that. She DOES believe in God, and told me about a faith called "Baha'i." I never heard of it before, so I did a little research.

It sounds interesting, but it's also pretty new.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it, and what it entails.

Many thanks in advance!

it is one of the 4 major "branch" religions(along with Judaism, Christianity, Islam) that traces their roots back to the origin God of Abraham, the father of Jesus.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:20 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
OP, I'm so glad you're researching your daughter's faith! It sounds like great progress for the two of you to be able to discuss faith in earnest without trying to change each other's mind.

Baha'i is really interesting to me. While it is significantly more egalitarian than the other Abrahamic faiths as a baseline, it still has hugely sexist practices, including banning women from serving in the Universal House of Justice. Lovely gardens and view in Haifa, though. Their views toward premarital sex and homosexuality leave something to be desired, though to their credit, their beliefs do not extend beyond members (unlike many Christian and Islamic adherents, especially up until recently). It also does not discriminate against homosexuals or advocate against same sex marriage.

Most Baha'is worship in homes or in Baha'i centers (which are open to everyone) but there are a dozen or so Baha'i Houses of Worship worldwide, including one in the US in Illinois. I've never visited one but they look very cool and welcome visitors. I *have* been to the House of Justice in Israel and it truly is one of the most gorgeous places in the world. The focus on elaborate gardens really stuck out to me compared to other faiths (my own included!) where the focus is more on the architecture when thinking about the physical space.

In terms of people I want to be around, Baha'is are only rivaled by Sikhs, UUs, and Quakers as people who are the most kind, generous, and deeply committed to their communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Since they believe in Jesus Christ as a core part of their faith and beliefs , I don’t know whether they could be classified as “Non-Christian”.
So does Islam. Would you consider Islam non-Christian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Off shoot of Islam? I dunno about that. I have not come across even the word Allah.
He is about Divine Unity and feeling God's Presence within, mostly.

"Labour is needed, if we are to seek Him; ardour is needed, if we are to drink the nectar of reunion with Him; and if we taste of this cup, we shall cast away the world....
O My brother! A pure heart is as a mirror; cleanse it with the burnish of love and severance from all save God, that the true sun may shine therein and the eternal morning dawn.''

From his: The Call of the Divine Beloved

You would also find Allah in the New Testament and Torah written in Arabic.

Baha'i grew out of Islam the same way the Christianity grew out of Judaism. And just like Christianity is now its whole own faith with very little connection to Judaism theologically, so too did Baha'i grow away from Islam.

Old 10-22-2022, 03:48 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
We lived in a neighborhood where a family moved in which were Baha i. This caused me to look it it up, and it seemed cool. The wife was American, but the husband, who I assume was the source of the religion, was Indian looking. We moved shortly after, so I never got to know them.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:32 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,257,106 times
Baha'ism is the sort of religion you would expect to appear after modern communication tools made certain religious thinkers aware of all the different religious traditions worldwide.

Old 10-22-2022, 04:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Baha'i grew out of Islam the same way the Christianity grew out of Judaism. And just like Christianity is now its whole own faith with very little connection to Judaism theologically, so too did Baha'i grow away from Islam.
I see.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:33 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
OP, I'm so glad you're researching your daughter's faith! It sounds like great progress for the two of you to be able to discuss faith in earnest without trying to change each other's mind.

Baha'i is really interesting to me. While it is significantly more egalitarian than the other Abrahamic faiths as a baseline, it still has hugely sexist practices, including banning women from serving in the Universal House of Justice. Lovely gardens and view in Haifa, though. Their views toward premarital sex and homosexuality leave something to be desired, though to their credit, their beliefs do not extend beyond members (unlike many Christian and Islamic adherents, especially up until recently). It also does not discriminate against homosexuals or advocate against same sex marriage.

Most Baha'is worship in homes or in Baha'i centers (which are open to everyone) but there are a dozen or so Baha'i Houses of Worship worldwide, including one in the US in Illinois. I've never visited one but they look very cool and welcome visitors. I *have* been to the House of Justice in Israel and it truly is one of the most gorgeous places in the world. The focus on elaborate gardens really stuck out to me compared to other faiths (my own included!) where the focus is more on the architecture when thinking about the physical space.

In terms of people I want to be around, Baha'is are only rivaled by Sikhs, UUs, and Quakers as people who are the most kind, generous, and deeply committed to their communities.
Nit-picking here, but it's an important nit to point out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Since they believe in Jesus Christ as a core part of their faith and beliefs , I don’t know whether they could be classified as “Non-Christian”.

Quote:
So does Islam. Would you consider Islam non-Christian?
Yes, Islam is Non-Christian, because while they believe in Jesus (the prophet Isa) they do not believe in "the Christ". Christ is not Jesus's last name, as I'm sure you know.

Quote:
You would also find Allah in the New Testament and Torah written in Arabic.

Good explanation. I am disappointed to learn about the sexism in Baha'i, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality