Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 05:24 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,117 times

Advertisements

Among white Americans, there is high (two-thirds) overlap between beliefs in Christian nationalism and replacement theory. And both views are associated with higher support for political violence among whites:

* White Americans who agree that “God intended America to be a promised land for European Christians” are four times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (43% vs. 10%).

* White Americans who believe that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background” are nearly six times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (45% vs. 8%).

While only 29% of Americans agree, for example, that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background,” that number rises to dangerous levels among a range of groups comprising the conservative base in U.S. politics: 67% among those who say they most trust Fox News; 65% among QAnon believers; 60% among Republicans; 50% among white evangelical Protestants, and 43% among white American without a college degree.https://time.com/6179886/christianit...emacy-buffalo/
I am sure that there are White Christians that look up to to the bygone era where the country was much less diverse, much less political correctness, and neighborhoods where they grew up were all white. Yet mourn today with the increase diversity of society, and an increasingly less white and secular America. Sadly, there are certain people that will resort to violence to fight against this. It is a mess and sadly you can't be truly having a Chrisitan life and be racist at the same time.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:40 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
For this thread to survive it's going to have to minimize the political angle and concentrate on the allegation that 50% of white evangelicals think immigrants are invaders who threaten to replace our cultural and ethnic background.

OTOH 43% of uneducated whites think that (IDK how many of those also happen to be white evangelicals). So ... how much of this is insular culture, lack of exposure to diversity, ignorance, etc, vs evangelicalism itself? I suspect it's some of both.

Of course, in theory one would expect evangelicals to speak out against racism, mistreatment or demonization of others. I think they actually did some of that back in my day (up to the 1980s more or less) but now they seem quite happy to be hateful and bigoted, and to applaud absurdly corrupt and venal political leaders or at least consider them rationalizable as god's instruments.

Last edited by mordant; 10-13-2022 at 06:55 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 05:46 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Among white Americans, there is high (two-thirds) overlap between beliefs in Christian nationalism and replacement theory. And both views are associated with higher support for political violence among whites:

* White Americans who agree that “God intended America to be a promised land for European Christians” are four times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (43% vs. 10%).

* White Americans who believe that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background” are nearly six times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (45% vs. 8%).

While only 29% of Americans agree, for example, that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background,” that number rises to dangerous levels among a range of groups comprising the conservative base in U.S. politics: 67% among those who say they most trust Fox News; 65% among QAnon believers; 60% among Republicans; 50% among white evangelical Protestants, and 43% among white American without a college degree.https://time.com/6179886/christianit...emacy-buffalo/
I am sure that there are White Christians that look up to to the bygone era where the country was much less diverse, much less political correctness, and neighborhoods where they grew up were all white. Yet mourn today with the increase diversity of society, and an increasingly less white and secular America. Sadly, there are certain people that will resort to violence to fight against this. It is a mess and sadly you can't be truly having a Chrisitan life and be racist at the same time.

I don't agree and I think the article is filled with inflammatory rhetoric. Your assumptions are biased and unfounded.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:49 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,931,284 times
divisive nonsense.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:56 PM

383 posts, read 181,845 times
Uh-huh... and the folks saying this are guilty of all the same things Christians supposedly are (in spades)

Old 10-13-2022, 06:24 PM

6,038 posts, read 2,854,310 times
It is not Christians beheading and throwing gay people off the roofs of buildings...

And, I bet black and Hispanic Christians would be surprised to hear this about their religion...

Old 10-13-2022, 06:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,028,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
For this thread to survive it's going to have to minimize the political angle and concentrate on the allegation that 50% of white evangelicals think immigrants are invaders who threaten to replace our cultural and ethnic background.

OTOH 43% of uneducated whites think that (IDK how many of those also happen to be white evangelicals). So ... how much of this is insular culture, lack of exposure to diversity, ignorance, etc, vs evangelicalism itself? I suspect it's some of both.

Of course, in theory one would expect evangelicals to speak out against racism, mistreatment or demonization of others. I think they actually did some of that back in my day (up to the 1980s more or less) but now they seem quite happy to be hateful and bigoted, and to applaud absurdly corrupt and venal political leaders or at least consider them no rationalizable as god's instruments.
WEll I not going to mention political leaders and it is not the thread to discuss political leaders, or who someone votes for as this is not for discussion.... Yet it is very common seeing on social media of people seeing themselves as Christian's resort to hateful and bigoted things on certain cultures and at times inflaming the hate. Sadly, there are Christian leaders that spread the flames of hatred. Is this what Jesus would do? Well as far as I know the church supposed to be like:

The church was designed to be on the forefront of the conversations about race. The church has been called to speak out against oppression, defend the marginalized, live as peacemakers and lead their communities in reconciliation and transformative change.https://converge.org/article/5-bibli...justice-racism

Yet I am sure the church described above is lacking in many churches today.

Last edited by herenow1; 10-13-2022 at 07:49 PM..

Old 10-13-2022, 08:16 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
It is not Christians beheading and throwing gay people off the roofs of buildings...

And, I bet black and Hispanic Christians would be surprised to hear this about their religion...
Perhaps not since they don't feel comfortable enough in many mainstream churches.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:27 PM

20,024 posts, read 13,496,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
divisive nonsense.
Well that disposes of the matter now, doesn't it? We are so lucky to have you to pronounce it so.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:56 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Well that disposes of the matter now, doesn't it? We are so lucky to have you to pronounce it so.
He (or she) needs to do some reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.