Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 09:02 PM

17,870 posts, read 13,799,020 times

Advertisements

The thing that fascinates me about those people is that while they believe in the "Great Commission" and how they are supposed to share the good news with everybody...

They don't seem to be so willing to witness to these illegal aliens. They don't seem to have much concern regarding these the "souls" of these folks. Much less rendering the aid and comfort to strangers that Jesus said that his followers should do.

That is all off the table because these folks "broke the law".

Old 10-14-2022, 05:28 AM

1,765 posts, read 767,807 times
I am a Christian and I can sincerely say that:

(1) I am a pacifist and do not advocate violence.

(2) I believe that all humans were created by God and in God's image, therefore we all have equality before God and should have equality here on earth.

(3) I support people's right to immigrate and travel around the globe.

(4) Jesus, who is my aspiration, talked of loving all and serving all...including enemies...and talked of helping those from foreign lands...as his parents were immigrants themselves.

I can attest that people in my meeting house are similar minded more than less.

You speak of violence, do we even know for a statistical fact that it is white Christians committing a lot of the violence in society?

Old 10-14-2022, 06:22 AM

20,129 posts, read 13,581,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
do we even know for a statistical fact that it is white Christians committing a lot of the violence in society?
No, I don't think we know it for a statistical fact that white Christians are committing "a lot" of the violence in society or how that relates to other categorizations of people. But I think it is safe to say that, given the claims of high moral ground that Christians generally make, white Christians of a certain kind at least do not evidence that morality very well. In the South, it isn't unheard of historically for them to also belong to the KKK or to otherwise make life miserable for minorities in their midst. Differentness is an existential threat to some white people, including some white Christians.

It also depends to a large extent on your definition of violence. If you limit it to actual physical assault resulting in injury you will get a different answer than if you include less overt forms of physical, sexual, mental and emotional abuse and neglect. Is a light slap physical violent? Is catcalling sexual abuse? Is gaslighting and snark mental abuse? Is fat-shaming emotional abuse? Somewhere or other these things cross lines into "abusive" or "violent". We can debate where that line is but I don't think it's limited to some technical line around literal physical abuse of a certain level sufficient for physical damage.

What about the threat of violence? For some people, the distant threat of anger is enough to shut them down with fear, with others, you can beat them up on the regular and they bounce right back, defiant and unmoved.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,080,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
Among white Americans, there is high (two-thirds) overlap between beliefs in Christian nationalism and replacement theory. And both views are associated with higher support for political violence among whites:

* White Americans who agree that “God intended America to be a promised land for European Christians” are four times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (43% vs. 10%).
I've never met someone that believes that. Who are these people? And why are you whining about it here versus the politics forum?
Quote:
* White Americans who believe that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background” are nearly six times as likely as those who disagree with that statement to believe that “true American patriots may have to resort to violence in order to save our country” (45% vs. 8%).
Again. Politics forum really should be talking about this. It has nothing to do with Christianity.
Quote:
While only 29% of Americans agree, for example, that “Immigrants are invading our country and replacing our cultural and ethnic background,” that number rises to dangerous levels among a range of groups comprising the conservative base in U.S. politics: 67% among those who say they most trust Fox News; 65% among QAnon believers; 60% among Republicans; 50% among white evangelical Protestants, and 43% among white American without a college degree.https://time.com/6179886/christianit...emacy-buffalo/
I am sure that there are White Christians that look up to to the bygone era where the country was much less diverse, much less political correctness, and neighborhoods where they grew up were all white. Yet mourn today with the increase diversity of society, and an increasingly less white and secular America. Sadly, there are certain people that will resort to violence to fight against this. It is a mess and sadly you can't be truly having a Chrisitan life and be racist at the same time.

Again. This is not a Christian issue. This is a political issue. Similar to how some black preachers and some politicians use black churches. We can get riled up about it, but this is really a topic for the politics forum.

Old 10-14-2022, 09:14 AM

20,129 posts, read 13,581,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I've never met someone that believes that. Who are these people? And why are you whining about it here versus the politics forum?

Again. Politics forum really should be talking about this. It has nothing to do with Christianity.

Again. This is not a Christian issue. This is a political issue. Similar to how some black preachers and some politicians use black churches. We can get riled up about it, but this is really a topic for the politics forum.
If 50% of white Christians were willing to subscribe to this in a poll then it is to that extent a religious matter and we can and should discuss the religious aspects of it in a religious forum. Also "the immigrants are coming to get us" is not a political issue although it might result in pushing public policy a certain way or making such persons a target of political pandering. It is in and of itself a perceived existential threat, which is a psychological matter to which politics is incidental and to which religion is potentially incidental, so long as it can be demonstrated not to be either a cause or an accelerant.

In reality it is a political, cultural, religious, psychological AND moral issue so it could be discussed under all those topical headings. The owners of this site have made the decision to try to segregate these topics even where there is substantial overlap and intertwining in real life. I disagree with that to the point it's one of the big reasons I left here for while -- but it is what it is. What this site lacks in that area it makes up for in critical mass. You need a certain number of people to sustain discussion and a certain amount of diversity.

I'm glad you've never met anyone who openly expressed that sentiment. It's a data point. I am not sure where my former tribe is at on this question but it's possible they are still not fomenting hatred of that sort either. So I would not paint all white evangelicals with the same brush -- but I don't think anyone here is doing that. Even the survey said "only" half of white evangelicals are willing to anonymously and privately subscribe to this, which probably equates to 90% would not openly state it to anyone (having, as they do, the knowledge that it is wrong). Apparently though it doesn't prevent them from feeling and thinking it. And that IS a concern.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:46 AM

51,063 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:

(2) I believe that all humans were created by God and in God's image, therefore we all have equality before God and should have equality here on earth.

(4) Jesus, who is my aspiration, talked of loving all and serving all...including enemies...and talked of helping those from foreign lands...as his parents were immigrants themselves.

You speak of violence, do we even know for a statistical fact that it is white Christians committing a lot of the violence in society?
Why not Google the topic. You'll be flooded with hits.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:47 AM

51,063 posts, read 24,563,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

Why don't you just Google the topic and learn. Take off the blinders.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,080,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If 50% of white Christians were willing to subscribe to this in a poll then it is to that extent a religious matter and we can and should discuss the religious aspects of it in a religious forum. Also "the immigrants are coming to get us" is not a political issue although it might result in pushing public policy a certain way or making such persons a target of political pandering. It is in and of itself a perceived existential threat, which is a psychological matter to which politics is incidental and to which religion is potentially incidental, so long as it can be demonstrated not to be either a cause or an accelerant.
I've been a Christian for 30 years and I have never met someone that thinks that. So no, I don't believe it's 50%.
Quote:
In reality it is a political, cultural, religious, psychological AND moral issue so it could be discussed under all those topical headings. The owners of this site have made the decision to try to segregate these topics even where there is substantial overlap and intertwining in real life. I disagree with that to the point it's one of the big reasons I left here for while -- but it is what it is. What this site lacks in that area it makes up for in critical mass. You need a certain number of people to sustain discussion and a certain amount of diversity.

I'm glad you've never met anyone who openly expressed that sentiment. It's a data point. I am not sure where my former tribe is at on this question but it's possible they are still not fomenting hatred of that sort either. So I would not paint all white evangelicals with the same brush -- but I don't think anyone here is doing that. Even the survey said "only" half of white evangelicals are willing to anonymously and privately subscribe to this, which probably equates to 90% would not openly state it to anyone (having, as they do, the knowledge that it is wrong). Apparently though it doesn't prevent them from feeling and thinking it. And that IS a concern.
I think it's overblown. And as I said, it's similar to the way other politicians use the black church and liberal progressive churches, such as United Methodists, ELCA, and others to promote their ideaologies. But you probably won't see a lot of polls on that, as the media doesn't wish to make an issue of that sort of thing.

Old 10-14-2022, 11:46 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,841,926 times
Quote:

You’re for an open border in the US?

Old 10-14-2022, 11:48 AM

50,520 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
It is not Christians beheading and throwing gay people off the roofs of buildings...

And, I bet black and Hispanic Christians would be surprised to hear this about their religion...
Or killing young woman for showing their faces because they won't cover it with a piece of cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality