Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2022, 12:19 PM

20,175 posts, read 13,607,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Sigh. ok. This canard again?

We aren't Israel. Yes. God allowed Israel to practice slavery, but we are not Israel.
You admit god allowed / ignored / condoned slavery in Israel. So ... god didn't consider it a big deal. God never changes, so ... this reflects that god is at least indifferent to slavery, now widely regarded as one of the greater harms even by puny humans.

Then there's the NT. Slaves, obey your masters. Masters, be nice to your slaves. Again just assuming slavery as a social construct of no particular significance.

Which requires you to do the tap dance (speaking of canards!) where you try to claim slavery then was not really slavery, that is was even beneficial. Which sounds suspiciously like the arguments of some 19th century Christians making apologetics for the institution of slavery in the US ... that it was beneficial for a race of inferiors that clearly can't self-govern or participate in society as equals ... that they are happy and well cared for and better off than running around in African jungles and all the rest of it.

Old 10-15-2022, 12:25 PM

51,152 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
You admit god allowed / ignored / condoned slavery in Israel. So ... god didn't consider it a big deal. God never changes, so ... this reflects that god is at least indifferent to slavery, now widely regarded as one of the greater harms even by puny humans.

Then there's the NT. Slaves, obey your masters. Masters, be nice to your slaves. Again just assuming slavery as a social construct of no particular significance.

Which requires you to do the tap dance (speaking of canards!) where you try to claim slavery then was not really slavery, that is was even beneficial. Which sounds suspiciously like the arguments of some 19th century Christians making apologetics for the institution of slavery in the US ... that it was beneficial for a race of inferiors that clearly can't self-govern or participate in society as equals ... that they are happy and well cared for and better off than running around in African jungles and all the rest of it.
He just can't see that he's on the wrong side of this issue.

Old 10-15-2022, 06:32 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,965,436 times
Quote:
Well that disposes of the matter now, doesn't it? We are so lucky to have you to pronounce it so.
Why not just come out and say my post was, what it was: "dismissive"?
Why the sarcasm? It's so tedious.

Yes. That's my reaction to this topic.
It is divisive nonsense. And, in my opinion, unworthy of serious attention.
The topic only serves one purpose: division

The more divided we all are... the weaker we become.

Old 10-15-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Why not just come out and say my post was, what it was: "dismissive"?
Why the sarcasm? It's so tedious.

Yes. That's my reaction to this topic.
It is divisive nonsense. And, in my opinion, unworthy of serious attention.
The topic only serves one purpose: division

The more divided we all are... the weaker we become.
If we are divided, then we are divided. But of course, people like you would like us to all embrace your version of life. How convenient.

Old 10-15-2022, 10:20 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,680,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're a Baptist fundamentalist and you don't know that the Southern Baptist denomination formally apologized for their involvement in slavery?
Quote:
Yes. I'm aware of that.

Now are you so naive as to believe the reason they owned slaves was because they're Christians? Are you really going to blame Christianity for slavery? It wasn't Christianity that invented it.
Quote:
What is it they were apologizing for? Uncle Ben's rice?
Quote:
My understanding was that they were apologizing for not taking a stance against it. I'm not SBC.

And I will repeat. There is no teaching in the Bible that suggests that we should own slaves. One cannot justify slavery from the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure this is entirely true...

"The Bible contains many references to slavery, which was a common practice in antiquity. Biblical texts outline sources and the legal status of slaves, economic roles of slavery, types of slavery, and debt slavery, which thoroughly explain the institution of slavery in Israel in antiquity. The Bible stipulates the treatment of slaves, especially in the Old Testament. There are also references to slavery in the New Testament.

Many of the patriarchs portrayed in the Bible were from the upper echelons of society, owned slaves, enslaved those in debt to them, bought their fellow citizens' daughters as concubines, and consistently enslaved foreign men to work on their fields. Masters were men, and it is not evident that women were able to own slaves until the Elephantine papyri in the 400s BC. Other than these instances, it is unclear whether or not state-instituted slavery was an accepted practice." -- Wikipedia

Slaves, women, gays..., there is much in the Bible that can't be ignored the way you seem wanting.
Quote:

Quote:
He just can't see that he's on the wrong side of this issue.
It appears that some need to be educated as to where the Bible and the Biblical Deity is at relative to slavery...as it seems some have continually, for years, put forth (biased) misinformation about it.
This will serve to inform & educate on the subject:

https://youtu.be/KAJrk2E9ZnI

Old 10-15-2022, 11:03 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,965,436 times
Quote:
If we are divided, then we are divided. But of course, people like you would like us to all embrace your version of life. How convenient.
Well, you said it yourself. "If we are divided, then we are divided."
You don't care about unity. Thank you for being honest about it.

Far more people than ever before have caught onto the divisive rhetoric that seeks to pit black against white. white against black. It's the same playbook. Over and over again. If it's not race, it's man against woman, old against young, and on and on.

It comes in many forms.
But the curtain is being pulled back.
And it is being exposed for what it truly is.
How alarmed the dividers must be.
Their power is subsiding.
People are becoming more united everyday.
Though it may not seem like it, (the loudest always gets the attention) but I've seen too many positive things occurring, people waking up in the last couple years to give me hope.

Old 10-15-2022, 11:40 PM

17,901 posts, read 13,830,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It appears that some need to be educated as to where the Bible and the Biblical Deity is at relative to slavery...as it seems some have continually, for years, put forth (biased) misinformation about it.
This will serve to inform & educate on the subject:

https://youtu.be/KAJrk2E9ZnI
That video was not accurate.

The Bible (Exodus) tells you exactly how much you can beat your slave.

It tells you what you need to do if you poke their eye out, or knock their tooth out.

It tells you that you need to put them up against a door post and jam their ear to the door with an awl as an ear piercing exercise. This was done to mark them as a slave.

And this "indentured servant" stuff only applied to Hebrews who enslaved other Hebrews. You could only keep one of your fellow Hebrews for six years.

But if you had yourself a non Hebrew slave...you hand yourself a lifer.

I could go on.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Well, you said it yourself. "If we are divided, then we are divided."
You don't care about unity. Thank you for being honest about it.

Far more people than ever before have caught onto the divisive rhetoric that seeks to pit black against white. white against black. It's the same playbook. Over and over again. If it's not race, it's man against woman, old against young, and on and on.

It comes in many forms.
But the curtain is being pulled back.
And it is being exposed for what it truly is.
How alarmed the dividers must be.
Their power is subsiding.
People are becoming more united everyday.
Though it may not seem like it, (the loudest always gets the attention) but I've seen too many positive things occurring, people waking up in the last couple years to give me hope.
No, it isn't that I don't care about it, it's that I know you can't fake it. And, your version of unity is for the rest of us to think like you do. No thank you.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:45 AM

64,028 posts, read 40,336,559 times
Quote:
No, it isn't that I don't care about it, it's that I know you can't fake it. And, your version of unity is for the rest of us to think like you do. No thank you.
Is there a version of unity that does NOT involve people thinking alike, Phet????

Old 10-16-2022, 12:52 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,680,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That video was not accurate.

The Bible (Exodus) tells you exactly how much you can beat your slave.

It tells you what you need to do if you poke their eye out, or knock their tooth out.

It tells you that you need to put them up against a door post and jam their ear to the door with an awl as an ear piercing exercise. This was done to mark them as a slave.

And this "indentured servant" stuff only applied to Hebrews who enslaved other Hebrews. You could only keep one of your fellow Hebrews for six years.

But if you had yourself a non Hebrew slave...you hand yourself a lifer.

I could go on.
The video explains what you all fail (intentionally) to note beyond the description of how the slaves were treated.
The Exodus liberated the slaves.
It describes the detailed intervention of the Biblical Deity to that end.
The Biblical Deity empowers the slaves to defeat their Masters...so they were no longer slaves that anybody was doing any of those things to.
Evidently, the way those Masters were treating them was very bad...so, the Biblical Deity freed them from that persecution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality