Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 02:22 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Apparently not. This was an interesting comment from the article in the OP.

"While many Christians view proselytizing as offering the gift of Jesus to the non-Christians, some non-believers and people of other faiths may view this as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression."

Have you ever considered that proselytizing might be viewed as as an imposition, manipulation, or oppression?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No. I can't force you to believe anything. If you don't like what I have to say, you can just ignore it, or reject the message. Our message is no more imposing, manipulating, or oppressing than the huge amount of anti-Christian voices out there spouting nonsense to the opposite view.

But we aren't starting threads attacking you and others for it.
Nor did I say anything remotely implying that I thought you could force anyone to believe anything. I simply asked if you had considered the view of proselytizing that was quoted from the article.

I may have missed something. What post was attacking you or Christianity? This is simply a thread discussing some articles about Christian privilege.

Did you read the articles?

Old 09-28-2022, 03:31 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
But we aren't starting threads attacking you and others.
Neither are we.

Disagreement is not an attack.

Criticism is not an attack.

Discussion is not an attack.

Opinions you don't like aren't an attack.

We can't guarantee that "never will be heard a discouraging word" in an open discussion forum. But NOTHING that happens here stops you from living your best Christian life as you see fit. It might make you uncomfortable at times, it might not allow you to proceed 100% unchallenged in your posts here, but it doesn't have to ruin your day or threaten your existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2022, 03:50 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Neither are we.

Disagreement is not an attack.

Criticism is not an attack.

Discussion is not an attack.

Opinions you don't like aren't an attack.

We can't guarantee that "never will be heard a discouraging word" in an open discussion forum. But NOTHING that happens here stops you from living your best Christian life as you see fit. It might make you uncomfortable at times, it might not allow you to proceed 100% unchallenged in your posts here, but it doesn't have to ruin your day or threaten your existence.
I didn't say YOU were. But we Christians are living rent-free in the heads of a few individuals. It's an obsession.

Old 09-28-2022, 03:52 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Nor did I say anything remotely implying that I thought you could force anyone to believe anything. I simply asked if you had considered the view of proselytizing that was quoted from the article.
And I disagree. If one is so fragile that they cannot endure someone disagreeing with their view, then I'm not sure what we can do.
Quote:
I may have missed something. What post was attacking you or Christianity? This is simply a thread discussing some articles about Christian privilege.

This forum historically has leaned HARD toward being against Christianity. To suggest otherwise is laughable.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:25 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:

What post was attacking you or Christianity? This is simply a thread discussing some articles about Christian privilege.

It is amusing that you think there is anything simple about naming some thing privileged when we all know what that label means when attached to WHITE.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:40 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
And I disagree. If one is so fragile that they cannot endure someone disagreeing with their view, then I'm not sure what we can do.

This forum historically has leaned HARD toward being against Christianity. To suggest otherwise is laughable.
You might not have noticed, but you're often the one who comes across as fragile...particularly when you supposedly have the all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful god on your side.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:43 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is amusing that you think there is anything simple about naming some thing privileged when we all know what that label means when attached to WHITE.
Christian Nationalist does mean white. Not sure why Christian privelege would too. Perhaps you could enlighten us?

Old 09-28-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
No, actually it doesn't.

When I visited and lived in Thailand there was clearly something that could be called 'Buddhist privilege'...just ask any Thai Muslim.

When I spent a month in Malaysia, there was clearly something that could be called 'Muslim privilege', although there it is called bumiputera...and I had several resident Chinese and Indians tell me about it.

It's not at all unique to white people...particularly when I'm pretty sure that all or almost all of the atheists on this forum...and all of the few I have personally met...are white.

Old 09-28-2022, 05:07 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No, actually it doesn't.
Doesn’t what?

Old 09-28-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Doesn’t what?
Go back and check your own post that I responded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality