Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 06:44 PM

28,151 posts, read 30,103,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes that is true. Mormons are distinctly inclusive compared to JWs who are of an exclusivist bent.

Katzpur, in practice, does this mean that if I were, say, a Methodist, that most Mormons would consider me to be a fellow Christian? If a Mormon missionary came to my door and I said I'm already a Christian, would they take me at my word and wish me well and go their way looking for a true convert? Or would they want to press a little further and see if I'm a Mormon or not, and would they want to argue that I should consider becoming one, even if I'm already a Christian of some other persuasion?

Honest question here, I really do not know the answer to it.
If you said you were already a Christian, as most of the missionaries' contacts are (at least in the US, Canada, South America and parts of Europe), they would take you at your word and not challenge you on it. They would them (I think) probably tell you that they have another witness to the divinity of Jesus Christ (or something along the lines that they have some additional information about Christ that you might find interesting) and ask you if you'd like to take a few minutes to discuss it, either then or at a later date. If you said, "No, thanks," they'd probably wish you a good day and move on. They're definitely used to rejection and have been explicitly taught not to get into arguments with people about religion. Of course, Mormon missionaries are only human, and some of them may be more pushy than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 09:05 AM

29,580 posts, read 9,810,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Correct, but as an approximation for the 1000 years when there were few scientific achievements, it works.

Other historians disagree, probably due to the evidence for a lack of scientific achievements in the western world.
Having read more than a few accounts about this period, "the Dark Ages" is a term considered less accurate by historians today but one that is still used and pretty well understood by anyone who knows anything about history. Work it does...

"The ‘Dark Ages’ were between the 5th and 14th centuries, lasting 900 years. The timeline falls between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Renaissance. It has been called the ‘Dark Ages’ because many suggest that this period saw little scientific and cultural advancement. However, the term doesn’t stand up to much scrutiny – and many medieval historians have dismissed it.

Why is it called the Dark Ages?

Francesco Petrarca (known as Petrarch) was the first person to coin the term ‘Dark Ages’. He was an Italian scholar of the 14th century. He called it the ‘Dark Ages’ as he was dismayed at the lack of good literature at that time.

The classical era was rich with apparent cultural advancement. Both Roman and Greek civilisations had provided the world with contributions to art, science, philosophy, architecture and political systems."

https://www.historyhit.com/why-were-...the-dark-ages/

Old 12-15-2022, 02:03 PM
nng

695 posts, read 292,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A concept (actually a reality) that is harmful to the American nation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_privilege
In a sense I think in this country there is Christian privilege. Christians have no problem being opposed to certain things because it's against their religious beliefs, and try to legislate their beliefs into law. If a Muslim or any other faith did the same things Christians do and say, they'd be laughed out of town or called religious extremists. Christian privilege is obviously real.

Old 12-15-2022, 02:12 PM

51,157 posts, read 24,624,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nng View Post
In a sense I think in this country there is Christian privilege. Christians have no problem being opposed to certain things because it's against their religious beliefs, and try to legislate their beliefs into law. If a Muslim or any other faith did the same things Christians do and say, they'd be laughed out of town or called religious extremists. Christian privilege is obviously real.
Precisely.

Old 12-15-2022, 04:33 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,864,749 times
Christian privilege:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality