Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 05:47 AM

1,755 posts, read 756,366 times

Advertisements

I don't know what is okay for hotlinking rules, so I won't post the image itself....but here is a link for a chart that shows 13 different religions sharing the "Golden Rule" which is essentially:

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you" - Jesus in Matthew 7:12

I think this shows that religion is in fact universal...that there are universal truths. There are multiple ways to experience God and that there are different branches of the same tree that is God. One branch is Christianity, another is Sikhism, another branch is Hinduism, and so on..... Different branches are....separate in the air, but connected to the trunk and share the same roots.

This makes us remember that we are all one.....and because we are all one...we all deserve the golden rule to be applied to ourselves...but that starts with each one of us committing to apply it to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 06:05 AM

412 posts, read 138,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
I don't know what is okay for hotlinking rules, so I won't post the image itself....but here is a link for a chart that shows 13 different religions sharing the "Golden Rule" which is essentially:

"In everything, do to others as you would have them do to you" - Jesus in Matthew 7:12

I think this shows that religion is in fact universal...that there are universal truths. There are multiple ways to experience God and that there are different branches of the same tree that is God. One branch is Christianity, another is Sikhism, another branch is Hinduism, and so on..... Different branches are....separate in the air, but connected to the trunk and share the same roots.

This makes us remember that we are all one.....and because we are all one...we all deserve the golden rule to be applied to ourselves...but that starts with each one of us committing to apply it to others.
How I apply the Golden Rule to my life is by treating others in a manner that I would desire to be treated.

It is presumptuous to think 100% of your audience believes there is ultimately one God. For example, some people are still debating the plurality of Genesis 1:26. I know that some theists and atheists demand that others believe all branches lead to the same tree. Still, the fact remains it is not a universal belief.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:05 AM

1,755 posts, read 756,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
How I apply the Golden Rule to my life is by treating others in a manner that I would desire to be treated.

It is presumptuous to think 100% of your audience believes there is ultimately one God. For example, some people are still debating the plurality of Genesis 1:26. I know that some theists and atheists demand that others believe all branches lead to the same tree. Still, the fact remains it is not a universal belief.
That is awesome that you apply the golden rule!

Yes, you are correct, everyone can choose to believe what they want, experience what they experience, and interpret what they experience.

It is NOT a universal belief that all branches lead to the same tree, just my belief.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:08 AM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:

You're one of my favorite posters. You're a very nice person. But I think in some ways you're very naïve. So I'll offer this challenge to you: I'll help pay for the air ticket, and perhaps we can do a gofundme, for you to fly to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, to stand outside the Hajj and talk to people going there about YOUR religion. The airfare won't cost us much; it'll only need to be one way.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:53 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:

I think do no harm to others that you dont want done to you is a more pragmatic rule that can be followed. Which is what both Buddhism and Hinduism teach. What is harm or pain is something very clear to us, we dont like it, dont cause pain to others.
What another person wants is a very different thing. It is about values. Values differ. We cannot even be sure we define those values the same way.
Everyone values courtesy. But how we define courtesy is influenced by culture, language, and things we are not even aware of. What is courteous for a Japanese in Japan may not be recognized in NYC by an American. So we cannot always do unto others what they want done if we don’t understand what they value.
I agree with the rest of all you say. All paths of seeking of the Divinity leads to the same place. Krishna in the Bhagavad Gita says all who seek me are dear to me. All paths lead to me. They are all mine.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:20 AM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You're one of my favorite posters. You're a very nice person. But I think in some ways you're very naïve. So I'll offer this challenge to you: I'll help pay for the air ticket, and perhaps we can do a gofundme, for you to fly to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, to stand outside the Hajj and talk to people going there about YOUR religion. The airfare won't cost us much; it'll only need to be one way.
If this is indicative of how you feel you should talk to "one of your favorite posters" it is no wonder your posts to the rest of us are so frustrating!

Old 09-02-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If this is indicative of how you feel you should talk to "one of your favorite posters" it is no wonder your posts to the rest of us are so frustrating!
You don't get the point? Really? A man with your self-proclaimed intellect doesn't understand the point?

Old 09-02-2022, 10:34 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:

To be fair, the golden rule is not a religious rule, although it's importance means it has been adopted by all religions that I know.

Quote:

Old 09-02-2022, 10:49 AM

15,974 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post

I am not sure it is not presumptuous to decide what I desire is what others would desire as well. Acting only in a way that you would want to become universal law, good for everyone, is far more inclusive.

Believing there is only one Divinity and also believing all religions with all the multiplicity are still connected at a basic level of Oneness can be had in spite of not everyone agreeing. Enough people do.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I am not sure it is not presumptuous to decide what I desire is what others would desire as well. Acting only in a way that you would want to become universal law, good for everyone, is far more inclusive.

Believing there is only one Divinity and also believing all religions with all the multiplicity are still connected at a basic level of Oneness can be had in spite of not everyone agreeing. Enough people do.
The Golden Rule has nothing to do with divinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality