Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 08:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 753,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Look, no one is saying that oneness would be a bad thing...although it's rather egotistical for you folks to assume that that oneness would be the brand you push.

How about oneness in that everyone becomes an atheist and that we improve world society through secularism?

I think one could make a pretty good argument that the concept of communism was pushing a form of oneness.

Why does it have to be your brand of oneness? Why do people who think differently than you folks have to give up their beliefs to join your oneness?
It doesn't have to be my brand.

Atheism is an equal branch to any other in my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
I don't buy into the we're all one thing but like I said before, it's just not realistic. I know you mean spiritually but atheists don't agree with that. We're talking reality here and history teaches us that it's impossible for the world to be one. It's not going to happen. Ever.

You sound like a really nice person, sort of like me. I had been naive my whole life, until I became an atheist. I may still be somewhat of a pushover but I am no longer naive. Let's just say that losing my religion helped me get my life back and it finally explained why I rebelled against religion at such a young age.

Until I became a fanatical fundamentalist because I was trying to hold on. That didn't last long. It felt hypocritical and I was here proselytizing like a crazy person, doing more harm than good. I was lying to myself and to everyone else. Now, I just half lie about being an atheist. Got to keep the peace.

I was living a big ol' lie. So what if indoctrination is impossible to overcome? It's not, I did it. Except for that nagging afterlife thing. But I believe I have conquered that. Please be careful with helping strangers. It's very dangerous these days. Some prey on a kind face and a good heart. Sad but true.
It does seem like almost everyone agrees with the Golden Rule in principle, we just don't live up to it as much as we could and should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Do not ever attempt to change as you come across much like you describe yourself.

I think the other poster was just pointing out how naive you are, but that you are is a hood thing. I`ve always loved your posts
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2022, 08:59 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It does seem like almost everyone agrees with the Golden Rule in principle, we just don't live up to it as much as we could and should.

It would solve a lot of problems, and automatically resolves many problems created by a multi-cultural society.

But too many put ego before the welfare of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality