Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 05:57 AM

15,967 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Hm you noticed that too? Seems slightly like hypocrisy and indecisiveness about what one really might believe, not believe or both.

Cb you're giving us mumbo-jumbo, your last two posts that I read haven't really been coherent.
NS, just one advice. Don’t get misled by Phet. Just read my post with more care. Quote it if you need any clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you red the entire thread, you would know that my post was in response to this one:
It is a cynical post and it seems to me you are affirming it.

Old 09-03-2022, 06:11 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Sorry you saw it that way. I wasn't being cynical.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:42 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Alright, you tell us: If a christian went to where the Hajj is held and started preaching christianity, what do you think would happen?

If you think the people going to the Hajj would welcome that christian and sit around singing Kumbaya, I think you're greatly mistaken.

But go ahead...you tell us what would happen with that "what if'. You tell us how our "oneness" would be demonstrated.

Old 09-03-2022, 11:47 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Alright, you tell us: If a christian went to where the Hajj is held and started preaching christianity, what do you think would happen?

If you think the people going to the Hajj would welcome that christian and sit around singing Kumbaya, I think you're greatly mistaken.

But go ahead...you tell us what would happen with that "what if'. You tell us how our "oneness" would be demonstrated.
I know exactly what you meant. While I don’t think most, or even many, Muslims would react with physical violence to a proselytizing Christian at Hajj, you only need a few pilgrims out of the 1M+ to take extreme exception in the worst possible way. The Saudi government not only would do nothing to stop this act of violence but may even praise it. Keep in mind that it is illegal for non-Muslims to enter Mecca under any circumstances.

I also find the oneness meme recently adopted by several religious posters here to be very curious. Surely they know, in their heart of hearts, that the notion that the irreligious are the source of inter-religious strife is nonsense.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:52 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I know exactly what you meant. While I don’t think most, or even many, Muslims would react with physical violence to a proselytizing Christian at Hajj, you only need a few pilgrims out of the 1M+ to take extreme exception in the worst possible way. The Saudi government not only would do nothing to stop this act of violence but may even praise it. Keep in mind that it is illegal for non-Muslims to enter Mecca under any circumstances.

I also find the oneness meme recently adopted by several religious posters here to be very curious. Surely they know, in their heart of hearts, that the notion that the irreligious are the source of inter-religious strife is nonsense.
I don't think people who subscribe to "all paths up the same mountain" or whatever are so naive as to think this makes the leap to all religions getting along, or even people within the same religion getting along. OBVIOUSLY, that's not the truth.

But there are a lot of people who do think that way and strive to work together with that type of thinking, even in small ways in their daily lives. It's not that it IS that way, it's that it's an ideal, and they seek others of like mind.

I am one of them. Every year on the 9/11 anniversary, I publish on my FB and Linked-In pages something I wrote in that regard as a survivor of a place where a lot of people of different races and religions DID get along, not in a newsworthy way, but in the mundaneness of daily living, only to be whacked by a group that saw us all as a monolithic "them". I ask people to look to our commonalities rather than just focusing on our differences.

Is it so terrible a thing to hope that more people can put down their defenses and weapons and see one another as fellow human beings rather than throw up our hands and say there is no point?

Old 09-03-2022, 12:57 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think people who subscribe to "all paths up the same mountain" or whatever are so naive as to think this makes the leap to all religions getting along, or even people within the same religion getting along. OBVIOUSLY, that's not the truth.

But there are a lot of people who do think that way and strive to work together with that type of thinking, even in small ways in their daily lives. It's not that it IS that way, it's that it's an ideal, and they seek others of like mind.

I am one of them. Every year on the 9/11 anniversary, I publish on my FB and Linked-In pages something I wrote in that regard as a survivor of a place where a lot of people of different races and religions DID get along, not in a newsworthy way, but in the mundaneness of daily living, only to be whacked by a group that saw us all as a monolithic "them". I ask people to look to our commonalities rather than just focusing on our differences.

Is it so terrible a thing to hope that more people can put down their defenses and weapons and see one another as fellow human beings rather than throw up our hands and say there is no point?
You’re not one of the posters I’m referring to. There was an exchange in the middle of the Ask an Atheist thread where the oneness meme I’m referring to arose.

I agree with your ideal, and as you recognize, it is just that—an ideal. Nor do you purport to claim that the irreligious are the source of religious strife and division.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:58 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post

1. actually, I didn't know that

2. I think some of them believe that...or let's put it this way...i take them at their word

Old 09-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Great post, MQ. Exactly.
Many people went out of their to check in on Muslim friends, neighbors, staff and doormen in NYC to be sure they were safe. Muslim cab drivers gave free rides to people who had no way to get home in the melee.
It is our humanity that connects us and people of faith believe that humanity is Oneness.

Old 09-03-2022, 01:45 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Every year on the 9/11 anniversary, I publish on my FB and Linked-In pages something I wrote in that regard as a survivor of a place where a lot of people of different races and religions DID get along, not in a newsworthy way, but in the mundaneness of daily living, only to be whacked by a group that saw us all as a monolithic "them". I ask people to look to our commonalities rather than just focusing on our differences.
Be the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality