Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 09:57 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Prayers that Hindus offer for the welfare of all beings, for the earth and waters, air and sun, the sky and the stars and the planet. For prosperity for all, and feeding of everyone.
Muslim prayers for forgiveness and kindness, and feeding everyone.
Christian charity and work among the poor and the sick.
Please add your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 10:00 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
One of my favorites:

A group of Catholic nuns who run an organization to protect the Earth's waters, particularly the ocean, but who invite participation by anyone. I've been to some of their Equinox and Solstice events, which often incorporate some traditionally Pagan practices.

https://www.waterspirit.org/

Old 06-10-2022, 10:56 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,933,478 times
Buddhists also offer up prayers for the well being of all. Tibetan Buddhists practice a type of meditation called "tonglen" which is an ancient Buddhist practice to awaken compassion. With each in-breath, one take's in others’ pain. With each out-breath, one sends them relief. This is a very powerful way of invoking compassion for others.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:05 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Buddhists also offer up prayers for the well being of all. Tibetan Buddhists practice a type of meditation called "tonglen" which is an ancient Buddhist practice to awaken compassion. With each in-breath, one take's in others’ pain. With each out-breath, one sends them relief. This is a very powerful way of invoking compassion for others.
I would not call them prayers, at least not in Theravada Buddhism.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,191 times
*During the civil rights movement, from what I understand, black churches often acted as community centers/places to keep communities cooperating.

*I think how ritualistic the Vulcans of Star Trek were was realistic, despite their obsession with logic. We like rituals. A big part of religion seems to be rituals.

*I wouldn't be surprised if, on average, Islam's opposition to alcohol is a good thing, as well as the charity encouragement.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:01 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Prayers that Hindus offer for the welfare of all beings, for the earth and waters, air and sun, the sky and the stars and the planet. For prosperity for all, and feeding of everyone.
Please add your own.
Theological based aid & charity is epic and prolific...and much of the Philosophy is a very positive inspirational vibe.
The famous "I Have A Dream" speech by Dr. Martin Luther King was basically a sermon being preached from a dynamic Baptist Reverend.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...011406266.html

Old 06-10-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Religion fosters the attitude with which we pray. One can pray for a solution to one’s grief, and at another time for the salvation of the entire world and the planet. It reflects the limitless nature of our self, and power within.

Old 06-10-2022, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnactus View Post
*During the civil rights movement, from what I understand, black churches often acted as community centers/places to keep communities cooperating.

*I think how ritualistic the Vulcans of Star Trek were was realistic, despite their obsession with logic. We like rituals. A big part of religion seems to be rituals.

*I wouldn't be surprised if, on average, Islam's opposition to alcohol is a good thing, as well as the charity encouragement.
There is a terrific PBS show on the powerful contribution of the Black Church to Black lives.
[url="https://www.pbs.org/show/black-church/"]
All religions recommend moderation in lifestyle and avoidance of liquor that cause one to literally lose one’s mind. Many cultures also follow religious dietary restrictions which are based on sound principles for good health and a clear mind. Also fasting. All of which are now followed by secular communities.

Old 06-10-2022, 02:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 1,175,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Please add your own.
6"And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him"

Old 06-10-2022, 02:23 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
It's mostly spirituality that does good, and that's the common thread through the ages and across the globe.

If religion does good, it's from the corporate aspects (what a group of people can do together). But you don't need any worship or deity for that.

It's best to separate the mankind/corporate from the spiritual/internal before placing congratulations or blame. It's possible to get it wrong in both directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality