Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 07:42 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It is also insulting to religious people themselves because it suggests that they are moral not because the have empathy, compassion, kindness, selflessness or general good character, but only because they fear god's wrath and punishment.
Yes, there is that.

And I am a true crime junkie. I assure you, lots of religious people commit crimes, too.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:56 PM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
As a general rule, 'any organized religion' also benefits the secular society, in many ways.

Its good for a secular society if people do not kill, steal, covet, lust, etc.

In fact, i think this was probably the main reason organized religion got its start, it was an attempt to better control the people, so a prosperous society could thrive.
Yes, religion organizes a society with laws so it doesn’t destroy itself, preserves the environment so it can continue sustain itself. It also inspires a personal relationship with the Divinity, which expresses itself in joy of worship, art, song and dance. It inspires mythologies through with what cannot be completely expressed with words, get expressed through imagination and metaphors. Religion is multi dimensional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 02:28 PM

63,791 posts, read 40,063,093 times
Quote:
It is also insulting to religious people themselves because it suggests that they are moral not because they have empathy, compassion, kindness, selflessness or general good character, but only because they fear god's wrath and punishment.
We should be asking why it has taken over two millennia for that obvious logic to be recognized, especially with the clear and unambiguous example of Jesus Christ!!!

Old 06-15-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
It is also insulting to religious people themselves because it suggests that they are moral not because the have empathy, compassion, kindness, selflessness or general good character, but only because they fear god's wrath and punishment.
Who exactly is suggesting this? A passive aggressive voice?
Nobody, believer or not, would say this. They will only see the goodness in the act. And even if the fear of god keeps one on the straight and narrow what is wrong with that. He will reap the rewards, in this world and the next. It is a win win.

Old 06-15-2022, 04:41 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,648,986 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
We should be asking why it has taken over two millennia for that obvious logic to be recognized, especially with the clear and unambiguous example of Jesus Christ!!!
The problem with that "logic" to begin with...is that the determination of what is "moral" is very subjective.
In fact...there are things I know that many think is not only moral, but should be a "right" to do...that I consider to be the most reprehensible, evil thing in the history of humankind.
So...the idea fails on its face.
Also...many people do obey and/or comply with laws/edicts/regulations/ordinances, etc, simply because they want to avoid the potential ramifications.
Watch vehicles that were all traveling on the highway 15 mph over the limit...and have a Highway Patrol car become visible. Watch them all slow down...even though they were all obviously cool with what they were doing wrong. Guess why they slowed down?

Old 06-15-2022, 06:26 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
I don't have the energy or will to say that religion does any good, but I know from experience that spirituality sure does good, at least for me. But there is nothing to compel me to say why spirituality is so good. It's personal and unique, and not up for debate or interpretation, which contrasts to the idiocy of arguing over religion.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't have the energy or will to say that religion does any good, but I know from experience that spirituality sure does good, at least for me. But there is nothing to compel me to say why spirituality is so good. It's personal and unique, and not up for debate or interpretation, which contrasts to the idiocy of arguing over religion.
Spirituality is indeed personal, not up for debate, or interpretation. Well said and I agree.
Argument over religion is idiocy, yes.
Does your spirituality have a source, a structure?

Old 06-15-2022, 08:30 PM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Does your spirituality have a source, a structure?
Hard to say. I try not to put it too far under the microscope. By spending less time on trying to describe it, there's more time spent on picking up what's there. Even if it's beyond words and description, it's well within grasp of recognizing and acknowledging. Some matters aren't conducive to words, and it's great to recognize that. Many will never find that because they're too busy trying to force nature into fitting human ways and concepts.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:58 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
religion is like lenses. It can help you see better. It can also burn the crap out of us with its "truth" too. It can be "dirty" or made improperly, thus distorting our reality.

The "lens" is not bad or good per say. How people use it, teach to it, or how we self reflect on our lens can be un reliable.

If our lens is focusing on "things we can't put into words", we need to start calibration procedures. If we use our lense to "only look here and no where else", that is deceitful more often than not.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:16 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Who exactly is suggesting this? A passive aggressive voice?
Nobody, believer or not, would say this.
It is the logical conclusion of the argument. Because religion does not create morality, it adopts the current morality of that time. That is why the US does not follow the OT laws.

Quote:
They will only see the goodness in the act. And even if the fear of god keeps one on the straight and narrow what is wrong with that. He will reap the rewards, in this world and the next. It is a win win.
Because sometimes the fear of god does not keep one on the straight and narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality