Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2022, 11:41 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,681,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
A friend sent me a link to a review of a book entitled Sex and Violence in the Bible.

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/r...iolence-bible/

I thought it was going to simply be a Bible-bashing book, but a closer look revealed that the author is himself a Christian, as is the reviewer, who like many here hold to the belief that all Scripture is inspired.

I remember being a young teenager and reading my Bible late at night when I couldn't sleep, desperate for comfort and help. I did come across Psalm 91 in that search, but I also discovered all these "dirty" stories in the Bible that they'd never told us in Sunday school. Sex between siblings, prostitution, oh my. Who knew?

As far as violence goes, the imagery of dogs licking the blood of Jezebel has always stayed with me.
Tells me something about the psyche and persona of Joseph Smith III.
And what it tells me: He is so interested in this "explicit content" because that is what his mind & spirit focus upon and dwell in. His mind, heart, and soul are so polluted...
I will pray for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 08:27 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
In my younger years, I read the full bible many times, and the first time was pretty surprising! Women being forced to marry their rapists, A child's foreskin stopped angry god from killing his guy Moses, God murdered every child in the great flood, God sent a bear to slaughter 42 children for picking on his prophet's bald head, and so many more. It wasn't a lack of reading the bible that lead me away from realizing what it really was. Then after consuming it's contents, when you study the full history of the bible, especially the canonization and subsequent changes, you realize how immensely troubling it is to accept it as the source of all truth. The fact it comes to most people today in a neatly bound cover, makes it convenient for simple minds to embrace it as a nice neat, clean package of god, when in reality is it anything but that.
I remain utterly puzzled by the fact that it has taken millennia and it STILL is as inconsistent, contradictory, and unrevised as it was in its earliest primitive versions. It is an enigma of human perversity that I simply cannot wrap my head around!! It is such an irrational and implausible rationale that it should never have survived a single century, let alone multiple millennia.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:24 AM

13,772 posts, read 8,081,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I remain utterly puzzled by the fact that it has taken millennia and it STILL is as inconsistent, contradictory, and unrevised as it was in its earliest primitive versions. It is an enigma of human perversity that I simply cannot wrap my head around!! It is such an irrational and implausible rationale that it should never have survived a single century, let alone multiple millennia.
Or maybe...just maybe...the problem is with you...

Old 02-22-2022, 10:35 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Welp....1 Cor 1:18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Old 02-22-2022, 03:24 PM

64,035 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Welp....1 Cor 1:18 "For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."
The Bible is NOT the message of the Cross and neither is your interpretation of it as appeasing your wrathful War God. The Gospel message of the Cross is "God is with us." We are to consider the Divine Revelation of God's True Nature and Holy Spirit of agape love and forgiveness by God Himself on the Cross as proof of it. Any Gospel other than Jesus is God incarnate is a false Gospel.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:26 AM

29,580 posts, read 9,813,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well if you think about it brothers and sisters had to marry as there was no one else...Adam and Eve were the first people.
And then Noah. Brothers, sisters and first cousins had to marry as there was no one left after the flood.
Another reason not to believe the Adam and Eve story.

Old 02-25-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Well, each to its own, and I have no issue with anyone who believes in the Bible.

On a personal note though, I may have a preconceived yet vague idea about God. And if I were to perform a research on the Bible, then THIS is the kinda stuff that indicates to me that this is not from the God whom I want to believe in.

Bible also has quite a few nuggets that seem to be coming from the God that I want to believe in.

Which brings me to a point where I tend to think that this is probably a man made interjections in the holy scriptures, or the God of the Bible who speaks about these kinda things, is not for me.

Both points make it easy for me to respectfully pass on THIS version of Christian faith.
I have read so much of these holy books, about these holy books. Reviewing "what is written" still to this day...

More and more over time it seems overwhelmingly evident that man is the author. In every case. Every word. I don't see how anyone can think divine inspiration is involved when all is considered. Of course man is capable of conceiving very inspiring literature, and the Bible is certainly not the only book that well demonstrates this ability. Inspirational writing, in fact, has been the catalyst for much in the way of motivating people one way or another. To believe one thing or another. What "moves" people, however, is not necessarily any sort of evidence that the writing is based on facts or truth.

That's the caution or distinction that seems so easily dismissed and trampled upon when it comes to all the Bible contains. Or so goes my research on the Bible so far...

Last edited by LearnMe; 02-25-2022 at 09:50 AM..

Old 02-25-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyno View Post
In my younger years, I read the full bible many times, and the first time was pretty surprising! Women being forced to marry their rapists, A child's foreskin stopped angry god from killing his guy Moses, God murdered every child in the great flood, God sent a bear to slaughter 42 children for picking on his prophet's bald head, and so many more. It wasn't a lack of reading the bible that lead me away from realizing what it really was. Then after consuming it's contents, when you study the full history of the bible, especially the canonization and subsequent changes, you realize how immensely troubling it is to accept it as the source of all truth. The fact it comes to most people today in a neatly bound cover, makes it convenient for simple minds to embrace it as a nice neat, clean package of god, when in reality is it anything but that.
Immensely troubling is one way to put it. At a minimum. All very well put. Doesn't hurt that the neatly bound cover is distributed free of charge either. Epic marketing to put it another way...

Old 02-25-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Tells me something about the psyche and persona of Joseph Smith III.
And what it tells me: He is so interested in this "explicit content" because that is what his mind & spirit focus upon and dwell in. His mind, heart, and soul are so polluted...
I will pray for him.
If God is everything and everything is God, why bother praying? Doesn't God already know what you are thinking? Otherwise it seems there is some sort of disconnect between you and God that requires or involves some form of communication between you and God. A difference between you and God and God and you rather than all as one. Isn't this incongruous with your belief?

Old 02-25-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
In many ways I share your puzzlement, but on the other hand I see much about the Bible that makes it the success it continues to be with so many people. It's length. Something in there for everyone. It's difficulty to understand in so many ways that lends to a wide band of interpretation. Able to suit all feelings from pain to glory. Something to suit any and all occasions. Lots of carrots and sticks. Laced with true history. I think it's been all these characteristics and more that has made it a success rather than perversity, and why it remains unchanged. What changes is people's interpretation to suit their circumstances and the changing times.

Also true of pretty much all the other successful holy books I might add...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality