Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 06:39 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,450,324 times

Advertisements

I've had a mostly hard life,I doubt it was anything I could have done because how bad could I have been as a child? I've come to the conclusion that it's just the hand we're dealt,kind of like innocent handicapped people...they did nothing to deserve it. And I've tried everything from prayers to thinking positive and nothing works. The best thing I can do is think of the story of Job or something,he didn't do that much to deserve the hell he got put through...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 08:26 PM

3,843 posts, read 1,406,308 times
In the end, the real hero is not the one who ended up with lots of amazing things for himself,
but the one who DID lots of amazing things for others with whatever little he had!

A hard life can be like pushing on a boulder that never moves;
you may think nothing got accomplished,
but somehow you became strong in all those years of pushing;
now go do something good with that hard-earned strength!

Old 01-26-2022, 08:51 PM

20,177 posts, read 13,610,102 times
I find it best to not look for a plan, or fairness, or justice, where it doesn't exist. i have had a lot of really bad stuff happen to me too, but I've come to see life as a series of events, some that I like, some that I don't. In other words I'm as impersonal toward the whole thing as the universe is toward me, lol.

People think an impersonal universe is a Bad Thing, when in fact ... the realization that things happening to me, good or bad, aren't to be taken personally is actually quite liberating.

I have experienced tragedy as a theist, and as an atheist, and I am here to tell you, it's a lot easier to bear when you don't have to explain or reconcile it with all sorts of elaborate and specific promises that these things won't happen to you if you're right with god or follow the rules or whatever.

And of course it wasn't something you did as a child. That's another gift religion gives most of us, even those who haven't taken it that seriously: the persistent idea that good luck is some kind of reward and bad luck is some kind of punishment or evidence of insufficient effort. Sure, actions have consequences, but in the long run, the connection between effort / intent and hoped-for outcomes is flaky at best, for a variety of reasons. I choose to do good because empathy, compassion and integrity demand it, and besides, outcomes do tend to be slightly better and a clear conscience is a wonderful thing. Still, everything you have can be lost to you, for any reason or no reason, at any time; life doesn't come with guarantees.

What makes it bearable and occasionally wonderful is the purpose and meaning we make for ourselves and the way we help each other out along the way.

Old 01-27-2022, 03:30 AM

9,702 posts, read 10,069,375 times
Curse or blessing ...... Says ``The thief comes not, but for to steal ... Jesus said I have come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly ``.................. See people can do great thing that makes than feel happy for their edification, but in the end they feel cheated life the thief who come to steal............... But Jesus can bring His blessing to bring more life abundantly and give you joy through the spirit

Old 01-27-2022, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
A hard life can be like pushing on a boulder that never moves;
you may think nothing got accomplished,
but somehow you became strong in all those years of pushing;
now go do something good with that hard-earned strength!
I've been trying,but no one listens so what good is it.

Old 01-27-2022, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Curse or blessing ...... Says ``The thief comes not, but for to steal ... Jesus said I have come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly ``.................. See people can do great thing that makes than feel happy for their edification, but in the end they feel cheated life the thief who come to steal............... But Jesus can bring His blessing to bring more life abundantly and give you joy through the spirit
I've heard all that,but it just doesn't seem to make sense at this point...

Old 01-27-2022, 04:45 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,197,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've been trying,but no one listens so what good is it.
We can't control others. Maybe the desire to is the curse.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,094,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I've had a mostly hard life,I doubt it was anything I could have done because how bad could I have been as a child? I've come to the conclusion that it's just the hand we're dealt,kind of like innocent handicapped people...they did nothing to deserve it. And I've tried everything from prayers to thinking positive and nothing works. The best thing I can do is think of the story of Job or something,he didn't do that much to deserve the hell he got put through...
Life isn't fair. It's only in recent times have human beings developed the expectation that it would be.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:56 AM

88,880 posts, read 85,346,109 times
People like to say there is a reason for everything, but that's not helpful, and it's dismissive. IF there is a reason for negative things that happen to us, then perhaps the reason is ours alone to do decide. What are we going to do with it?

Something I read that helps me a lot as I go through the current darkness is "Don't suffer over your suffering". Self-pity will get me nowhere.

Often hard times make us feel isolated, but the truth is, there are many of us going through sad and difficult situations. We are not alone, not because there's some cruel and unkind deity jerking us around for his own entertainment or to teach us some cosmic lesson but because it is the human condition, and our human tragedies bind us together.

Old 01-27-2022, 08:18 AM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Life isn't fair. It's only in recent times have human beings developed the expectation that it would be.
Maybe that is a reasonable expectation IF one believes in an "all-loving god". Why would an "all-loving god" create a system and behave in a way that is not fair?

The best answer you have is that "God works in mysterious ways", which makes me wanna gag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality