Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 08:37 AM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron31 View Post
I always figure, however hard I've got it, there's always someone who's got it harder. Tends to make me feel a little better.
Yup.

Or it helps to know that there are so many others in the same situation. A close friend of mine right now has a serious cancer, multiple myeloma. Bone marrow cancer, first a tumor on her spine, six months later five more spots in her shoulder. She's undergoing chemo and will need a stem cell transplant when it's done.

Her mother died of cancer, although at a much older age than she is (58) and a couple of cousins have had various cancers in recent years. There's no "why me?" in her at all. She says it's a pain in the ass but she will just have to face it and deal with it as her relatives did and are doing. Her courage humbles me.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:42 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
I always figure, however hard I've got it, there's always someone who's got it harder. Tends to make me feel a little better.
Very true.

A good reminded for me is when I go to my cardiologist's office (it's a huge practice). My cardiologist has pointed out several times that I should look at the people in the waiting room and visibly notice that I am one of the healthiest looking patients there, "So relax!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 12:23 PM

250 posts, read 148,548 times
Quote:
It only makes sense that at one given moment, there is someone who actually has it the worst as compared to the other living humans which total close to 8 billion. The depth of their suffering is probably inconceivable to most of us who are "suffering" as we know It to be, relative to our subjective interpretation as to what suffering IS. Imagine that, actually having it the worst out of 8 billion sufferers! That person is out there, more than ready to relinquish their title. I

Old 01-27-2022, 06:37 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Quote:
In talking with people,I've found very few people who have it worse than I do...and when they do,they earn my respect;

Old 01-27-2022, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or it helps to know that there are so many others in the same situation. A close friend of mine right now has a serious cancer, multiple myeloma. Bone marrow cancer, first a tumor on her spine, six months later five more spots in her shoulder. She's undergoing chemo and will need a stem cell transplant when it's done.

Her mother died of cancer, although at a much older age than she is (58) and a couple of cousins have had various cancers in recent years. There's no "why me?" in her at all. She says it's a pain in the ass but she will just have to face it and deal with it as her relatives did and are doing. Her courage humbles me.
Condolences to your friend,but cancer is something that can be treated and possibly overcome. But there is no treatment for bad luck,it comes when it comes and the origin is unknown.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times
I do not think the answer lies in religion - whatever religion we are talking about. This is because saviours seem to understand how it all works and the rest of us dont. So it is like a nuclear physicist trying to explain to an ant how the world is made up.

From my perspective it helps to think of it this way, and I am not saying I have any better explanation than your religions, but it helps me to make sense of it all.

There is a Universal Law which the occult community recognises and after all, many of the religious practices are dealing with symbols, rituals, chants, etc so they are also under this umbrella too.

Energy flows towards where you place your intention and focus. This may involve prayer, invocations, spells, chants, etc or whatever.

So those who think in positive ways and are grateful for small things will get more of that. Those who focus on the bad things which happen to them will (according to this principle) get more of that. So it makes sense to be more grateful and positive in your thinking and more "good luck" will flow your way. Relative, of course.

From what I have read, there is a school of thought which many will not agree with, but hear me out, because it may explain much of the "Why" questions we have but dont want to voice to religious leaders. It is not a new idea and it is not mine, but one which I think makes sense and is kind-of introduced to us in the post #3 by mordant above.

We are spirits in a human container body evolving towards Source. The Source is impersonal and, because it is Source, it has every event you can think of and more besides, in its bag of experiences. We are here on Earth because it is a School for Spirits and according to what we need to learn this time around, we incarnate into a body and into circumstances which will allow us (or likely to) to experience the lessons we, as an evolving spirit, need to learn this lifetime.

If you look at your life in this way, it is not because you are a sinner that things happen to you, but because you, as a spirit, have chosen to place yourself(as a spirit) into these circumstances so you can experience and learn from living through these events. When we die, we (as a spirit) have gained so much more experience than we had before we came into Earth School at the start of this lifetime.

Old 01-28-2022, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
So those who think in positive ways and are grateful for small things will get more of that. Those who focus on the bad things which happen to them will (according to this principle) get more of that. So it makes sense to be more grateful and positive in your thinking and more "good luck" will flow your way.
As much as I try to focus on the positive,I get flooded with negative things every day...and I think that may be due to the hell I currently reside in. Very negative place,I guess I'm getting caught up in that.

Quote:
If you look at your life in this way, it is not because you are a sinner that things happen to you, but because you, as a spirit, have chosen to place yourself(as a spirit) into these circumstances so you can experience and learn from living through these events.
Why would I choose to place myself in hellish circumstances? If anything I tend to live life on the cautious side...

Last edited by mensaguy; 01-28-2022 at 06:12 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 01-28-2022, 08:13 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
As much as I try to focus on the positive,I get flooded with negative things every day...and I think that may be due to the hell I currently reside in. Very negative place,I guess I'm getting caught up in that.

Why would I choose to place myself in hellish circumstances? If anything I tend to live life on the cautious side...
Truth11, I'm sorry to read this. Is it related to the housing issues you discussed here?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fore...le-notice.html

Old 01-28-2022, 09:27 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Very true.

A good reminded for me is when I go to my cardiologist's office (it's a huge practice). My cardiologist has pointed out several times that I should look at the people in the waiting room and visibly notice that I am one of the healthiest looking patients there, "So relax!"
That is exactly how i felt when i had my heart attack, my double by-pass and the three days after my operation. And what my wife tolfd me when she was in acute care with breathing problems and listed the problems her room mate had.

Plus ever time i visited my wife in her hospital stay i did not like trying to figure out the parking meter or when my wife visited me she had to drive for three hours and stayed in a motel for four nights and then we thought that those small inconviences and expenses were absolutely nothing when those were the obly costs we occurred for open heart surgercy and a total of about two dozen days in hospital combined and think about how fortunate for public healthcare.

Looking at how less fortunate others may be not only makes ones own life seem better but provides or feeds the power of empathy that seems to be missing from so many people. Having empathy makes you a richer person that one with fancy cars and a big bank account but has very little or no empathy.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:58 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is exactly how i felt when i had my heart attack, my double by-pass and the three days after my operation. And what my wife tolfd me when she was in acute care with breathing problems and listed the problems her room mate had.

Plus ever time i visited my wife in her hospital stay i did not like trying to figure out the parking meter or when my wife visited me she had to drive for three hours and stayed in a motel for four nights and then we thought that those small inconviences and expenses were absolutely nothing when those were the obly costs we occurred for open heart surgercy and a total of about two dozen days in hospital combined and think about how fortunate for public healthcare.

Looking at how less fortunate others may be not only makes ones own life seem better but provides or feeds the power of empathy that seems to be missing from so many people. Having empathy makes you a richer person that one with fancy cars and a big bank account but has very little or no empathy.
I think one of the things that really helped put things in perspective for me was the school I taught in for about ten years starting about 1978. We didn't have just regular special ed. We also had a physically handicapped program. Kids with muscular dystrophy, spina bifida, brittle bone disease, amputees, extreme burn cases, and many other physically handicapping conditions. 2-3 of those students would die each year, and many would be lucky if they lived into mid-adulthood, and if they did they would spend an entire life in a wheel chair or worse. For truly extreme cases we would be briefed in advance about a new student coming in, and perhaps the worst we had (at least in terms of appearance) was a boy who had been cooking at home on a stove and his robe caught on fire; face terribly scarred (worst I've ever seen), no hair, ears burned off, one eye blind, lost a couple of fingers. There were a few kids who, when they first saw him, literally fainted or vomited. And I used to think how these kids were only 12-15 years old.

That doesn't mean that I won't feel sorry for myself when I really get old and sick, but it does help with perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality