Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2022, 08:07 PM

15,984 posts, read 7,044,200 times

Advertisements

There was a thread on the Idea of God that got locked unfortunately. There are currently several threads on God but not one on what God is. Here is a lecture on defining God per Advaita Vedanta by Swami Sarvapriyananda that some may find interesting. I found it so. Thought I would share it. It is long, over an hour, and requires attention.

https://youtu.be/CoF0pOcKOCc

Old 01-05-2022, 08:58 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There was a thread on the Idea of God that got locked unfortunately. There are currently several threads on God but not one on what God is. Here is a lecture on defining God per Advaita Vedanta by Swami Sarvapriyananda that some may find interesting. I found it so. Thought I would share it. It is long, over an hour, and requires attention.
Words & terms are symbols people write/produce and sounds that are made to convey information or an idea to those that understand the language or communication system.
We have experts that provide formal definitions & meanings of words/terms...to inform as to what those symbols/sounds represent.
"G-O-D" as a word/term is formally defined: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god
There are others...and some add their own personal definitions and interpretation of how "G-O-D" is defined and what that word/term means.
Any and all of those represent "G-O-D". That is how God is defined.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:17 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,947 times
..."God is an unintelligible sphere who's circumference is nowhere and center is everywhere"...that's Arthur Shopenhauer's definition, he's kind of saying, 'good luck defining God'...

Old 01-05-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
..."God is an unintelligible sphere who's circumference is nowhere and center is everywhere"...that's Arthur Shopenhauer's definition, he's kind of saying, 'good luck defining God'...
Hmm. I cannot find that particular quote anywhere. Something similar "God is an intelligible/infinite sphere who's circumference is nowhere and center is everywhere" exists in some other texts. None ascribed Schopenhauer. One has to be careful because there are made up quotes ascribed to all kinds of people on the internet.

Schopenhauer was quite influenced by the Upanishads, reading a translation in German, from a translation of Persian from the original Sanskrit.

https://muse.jhu.edu/book/23107

Quote:
Schopenhauer’s doctrine of the world as representation, or a flow of impressions appearing in the consciousness of living beings, is first considered. The convergence between this teaching and Indian idealism, especially the doctrine of illusory appearance (maya), has long been recognized. Schopenhauer himself was aware of it, emphasizing that it was the result not of influence but of a remarkable convergence between Eastern and Western thought.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:25 PM

13,636 posts, read 7,954,764 times
To define God, you need a context.

Since we Christians know that God is a personal being, it's not so simple to offer up a general definition.

It's even more complicated than asking to define a particular human being. How does one define cb2008 or EscAlaMike?

To define God, I think it's most helpful to start as broadly as possible and work our way in.

The broadest definition of God I know of is that God is the First Cause.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Words & terms are symbols people write/produce and sounds that are made to convey information or an idea to those that understand the language or communication system.
We have experts that provide formal definitions & meanings of words/terms...to inform as to what those symbols/sounds represent.
"G-O-D" as a word/term is formally defined: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/god
There are others...and some add their own personal definitions and interpretation of how "G-O-D" is defined and what that word/term means.
Any and all of those represent "G-O-D". That is how God is defined.
Thank you for your response. Am i right that consider yourself a Pantheist?
Are you saying then you let Merriam-Webster define what God is for you? If I misunderstand can you please clarify?

Old 01-05-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
To define God, you need a context.

Since we Christians know that God is a personal being, it's not so simple to offer up a general definition.

It's even more complicated than asking to define a particular human being. How does one define cb2008 or EscAlaMike?

To define God, I think it's most helpful to start as broadly as possible and work our way in.

The bolded makes sense to me as well.

Old 01-05-2022, 03:41 PM

13,636 posts, read 7,954,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post

Quote:
The bolded makes sense to me as well.
I readily concede that there may very well be a myriad of powerful, supernatural spiritual beings in existence. In fact, I do believe that. However, it is not right or proper to call them "God" or "gods". Since "God" is the First Cause, there can only be one.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:

Anyone interested in understanding the perspective of Advaita Vedanta would find the link valuable.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:07 PM

2,145 posts, read 1,212,102 times
'Define God ' ???

Now ^ that right there will require a vivid imagination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality