Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 12:32 PM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Yes...I am.
The most basic idea of the concept...God = ALL. The very root translation of it, Pan(All) theos (God).
"G-O-D" is formally defined as "The Supreme/Ultimate Reality" and "Something of Supreme Value". I didn't make it that way, I just know that it is. It isn't necessarily defined "for" me...as much as it informs me (and everyone else) of the definitions/meanings.
"Reality" is oft times referred to as "The Universe (or multiverse)", "Nature", etc...though I don't really care about that, as long as it is understood that I view it from the standpoint of, *everything and anything that exists, in totality*.
Many times times people will confuse the concept and inquire or argue that what I consider "God" cannot be shown to be intelligent, or conscious, or have some other attributes. I try to explain that since my concept of God is ALL...it does not just possess those "attributes/traits" it necessarily IS those attributes/traits (and everything and anything else).
Thank you for explaining that, I get it.
It is very close to Advaita. Advaita = there is ONLY God/Brhman. There is no I or Mine or IT or the Other. What seems as multiplicity is superimposition upon Brhman. When the superimposed, caused by ignorance, is destroyed, by knowledge or karma, then the ONE Brhman, the essence of all that exists, is revealed, and there is no more multiplicity. This does not mean we do not exist as we do with multiplicity, the world of names and forms but unreal, but our perception changes, how we transact life and the world alters.
Advaita is described as Monism.

Last edited by cb2008; 01-06-2022 at 01:31 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 10:32 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,653,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you for explaining that, I get it.
It is very close to Advaita. Advaita = there is ONLY God/Brhman. There is no I or Mine or IT or the Other. What seems as multiplicity is superimposition upon Brhman. When the superimposed, caused by ignorance, is destroyed, by knowledge or karma, then the ONE Brhman, the essence of all that exists, is revealed, and there is no more multiplicity. This does not mean we do not exist as we do with multiplicity, the world of names and forms but unreal, but our perception changes, how we transact life and the world alters.
Advaita is described as Monism.
I see. That educated me about the concept.
I think it sounds very cool! Great minds came up with that Theological concept & philosophy!

Old 01-07-2022, 01:12 AM

1,014 posts, read 480,079 times
By words, ... O ye, o ye, almighty God, creator of heaven and earth, thank you for giving us protection through mighty angels, ...."

That would be a description of God.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I see. That educated me about the concept.
I think it sounds very cool! Great minds came up with that Theological concept & philosophy!

The more I study and understand the more I am in awe of the way they thought AND recorded the thoughts. They are timeless.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:38 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times
Bliss, joy.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Bliss, joy.
Evolution from a state of constant wants and needs to that state of everlasting fullness.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
"plant discord"?? okay well, I'll play along: Curses, foiled again! Do carry on.
Funny...

I thought you were just trying to plant another question for purposes of broadening the discussion, and a good one too. Though "appreciated," clearly you stepped out of line. Other than to take note of this sort of thing yet again here, I think I'll continue to stay clear as well.

Define God? Let us count the ways...

Old 01-11-2022, 11:58 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Funny...

I thought you were just trying to plant another question for purposes of broadening the discussion, and a good one too. Though "appreciated," clearly you stepped out of line. Other than to take note of this sort of thing yet again here, I think I'll continue to stay clear as well.

Define God? Let us count the ways...
Eh, I'm not agreeing to stay clear necessarily. I agree that it was just a clarifying point, and a good and valid one. But on the one hand, it wasn't a hill I chose to die on in this case, and OTOH, I wasn't going to dignify the objection with a serious response, either.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Monotheism generally -- and the Abrahamic faiths as they exist today specifically -- inherently see their god as the only true god.1) That means all others are false. It is an inherently pugnacious stance toward outsiders, and tends also to divide humanity into the right and wrong, correct and incorrect, and ultimately of course, saints and sinners, the forgiven and the unforgiven. In general, monotheists (to the extent they're even aware of polytheists or animists and such) would see this as a feature, not a bug. If the purpose of existence is to "know" god, then you must inherently know what god is not. Monotheism is a quest for Truth, basically.

2)My point being that Vishnu or Odin or certainly Zeus are very different gods from Jehovah. One aspect of the Christian god that BF did not mention is that of moral perfection or the various "omnis". 3)Most gods who inhabit pantheons are quite fallible and occasionally mortals get the best of them (though it seldom ends well for the mortal).

4)So to my mind a better first question is "which god" after which you can define that god. Otherwise conversations like this degenerate into blind men pawing an elephant*; you'll never converge on a definition that all can agree to.

* Of course in my view the elephant is imaginary anyway, which makes for even more diversity of opinion.
I see these arguments you have raised define what is god to you. Nobody is concerned about which god other than you. I can see why you became atheist.
The only way it will 'expand discussion' is by offending everyone and that seems to be the purpose of highlighting above differences that exist only in your mind.

The last point #4: start your own thread. I don't think I need lessons on defining god from an atheist. It is going quite well, just the way it should be.

I don't wish to continue this dialog with you.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 679,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
To define God, you need a context.

Since we Christians know that God is a personal being, it's not so simple to offer up a general definition.

It's even more complicated than asking to define a particular human being. How does one define cb2008 or EscAlaMike?

To define God, I think it's most helpful to start as broadly as possible and work our way in.

The broadest definition of God I know of is that God is the First Cause.
What exactly does the bolded mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.