Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:42 PM

13,679 posts, read 7,988,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
To define God, you need a context.

Since we Christians know that God is a personal being, it's not so simple to offer up a general definition.

It's even more complicated than asking to define a particular human being. How does one define cb2008 or EscAlaMike?

To define God, I think it's most helpful to start as broadly as possible and work our way in.

The broadest definition of God I know of is that God is the First Cause.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
What exactly does the bolded mean?
In addition to God revealing Himself to humanity through the Hebrew prophets, we believe that God became a man and lived among us in the person of Jesus Christ. Based on what God has revealed to us both through prophetic revelation and the Incarnation, we know God to be a personal being.

I don't know if that's helpful or not...please let me know if I can clarify what I mean further.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:18 PM

50,928 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I see these arguments you have raised define what is god to you. Nobody is concerned about which god other than you. I can see why you became atheist.
The only way it will 'expand discussion' is by offending everyone and that seems to be the purpose of highlighting above differences that exist only in your mind.

The last point #4: start your own thread. I don't think I need lessons on defining god from an atheist. It is going quite well, just the way it should be.

I don't wish to continue this dialog with you.
All people can participate in all threads.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:40 PM

3,136 posts, read 1,028,202 times
Stillness.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:55 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,421,397 times
Default Define God

Ok. Each sentence is a definition in itself, imo. And thank you for asking,
it is a blessing to define God...not from my imagination.

A brilliant Being. Such genius that can not be imagined; that at the same time is as innocent as a baby...
with a wanting and needing of boundless, endless love...and from 'us'..and will wait forever for every last drop from the least of us...
the worst of us.
And at the same time is within each particle, ha, smaller than an atom, (there are 100 trillion atoms in 1 skin cell, btw.)
And like the holographic bookmark if cut into 1000 little pieces each piece has the entire image of the 'giraffe' on it.
So all pieces have within each - the Whole.
The Conscious Mind of this Spirit is within the infinite and the infinitesimal.

He, Who has no gender, is Light, the essence of all that is physical and non-physical.
He is a sacred Heart...everywhere.
He is Father and Friend, Mother and sister, teacher and brother, protector and benefactor.
He is unquenchable compassion and undying, illogical love and a fountain of joy and ecstasy at the center of existence.
This Brilliant Being is my best friend and Sustainer, breathing me at this moment.

He is the stage, the screen, the actors, the audience, the seats, the projector, the dust in the beam of light from it and the darkness all around.
He is the only thing that is Real.

(I could go on.)

Old 01-11-2022, 08:28 PM

63,906 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

A brilliant Being. Such genius that can not be imagined; that at the same time is as innocent as a baby...
with a wanting and needing of boundless, endless love...and from 'us'..and will wait forever for every last drop from the least of us...
the worst of us.
And at the same time is within each particle, ha, smaller than an atom, (there are 100 trillion atoms in 1 skin cell, btw.)
And like the holographic bookmark if cut into 1000 little pieces each piece has the entire image of the 'giraffe' on it.

He, Who has no gender, is Light, the essence of all that is physical and non-physical.
He is Father and Friend, Mother and sister, teacher and brother, protector and benefactor.
He is unquenchable compassion and undying, illogical love and a fountain of joy and ecstasy at the center of existence.
This Brilliant Being is my best friend and Sustainer, breathing me at this moment.

He is the stage, the screen, the actors, the audience, the seats, the projector, the dust in the beam of light from it and the darkness all around.

(I could go on.)
Nice, Miss H.

Old 01-11-2022, 08:34 PM

16,029 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:

the worst of us.

(I could go on.)
Bhakti :-)

Old 01-12-2022, 03:45 AM

16,810 posts, read 5,011,156 times
Quote:
I see these arguments you have raised define what is god to you. Nobody is concerned about which god other than you. I can see why you became atheist.
The only way it will 'expand discussion' is by offending everyone and that seems to be the purpose of highlighting above differences that exist only in your mind.

We are responding to the theists definition of their god or gods. It is in their mind, not ours.

Quote:
The last point #4: start your own thread. I don't think I need lessons on defining god from an atheist. It is going quite well, just the way it should be.

I don't wish to continue this dialog with you.
Yes, you asserted something false again, but do not want to be corrected.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:46 AM

16,029 posts, read 7,066,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Stillness.
Absorbed into the Light,
Oneness, Transcendent and Still.

Old 01-12-2022, 01:03 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,663,432 times
Quote:

the worst of us.

(I could go on.)
^^^ I like this, a lot. ^^^

Old 04-07-2022, 11:43 AM

3,136 posts, read 1,028,202 times
Sweetness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality