Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 06:56 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Ooooops....
Rome has nothing to do with anything.
That's because it was never intended to be spiritual.
You have it backward. The Bible was NEVER intended to be historical or scientific. It is entirely spiritual in origin having emanated from inspirations from God. Our ancestors' spiritual immaturity and our so-called spiritual leaders' retention of their carnal-minded understanding as a sign of faith in God are responsible for the lack of significant improvement in our spiritual maturity after millennia! It provided and still provides ample grist for atheists to mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 07:33 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You have it backward. The Bible was NEVER intended to be historical or scientific. It is entirely spiritual in origin having emanated from inspirations from God. Our ancestors' spiritual immaturity and our so-called spiritual leaders' retention of their carnal-minded understanding as a sign of faith in God are responsible for the lack of significant improvement in our spiritual maturity after millennia! It provided and still provides ample grist for atheists to mill.
The problem is that many christians say it is historical.

You guys wanna have it anyway you current argument demands.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To be fair, Daniel is an apocalyptic work and those beasts are meant to represent something metaphorically, not be real critters. It is a literary device, not the telling of actual events.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem is that many Christians say it is historical.
You guys wanna have it anyway your current argument demands.
I believe I said as much about the spiritual immaturity of the religious leaders, Phet. Spiritual interpretations and understanding of the scriptures are neither easy nor typical, especially once one understands the mystical relevance of the Kabbalistic interpretation of Hebrew.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
I believe I said as much about the spiritual immaturity of the religious leaders, Phet. Spiritual interpretations and understanding of the scriptures are neither easy nor typical, especially once one understands the mystical relevance of the Kabbalistic interpretation of Hebrew.
I don't care who we're talking about. The christian world wants to use the best argument at some particular time. It's historical. It's not historical. It's allegorical. The Great Flood really happened.

And here's where the problem really comes in: wanna say it's allegorical? Okay...then the crucifixion and resurrection never really happened. And there goes christianity in the dumpster.

It's sort of like my policy when I was principal and I would preach (ahem) to the faculty: we don't lie, because as soon as they catch us in a lie, they'll never believe us again. So we tell the truth even when it hurts.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:36 PM

75 posts, read 37,542 times
I tell the truth and no one (not a soul) believes anything I say

Old 05-28-2021, 08:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by em3ry View Post
I tell the truth and no one (not a soul) believes anything I say
Welcome to the club.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't care who we're talking about. The christian world wants to use the best argument at some particular time. It's historical. It's not historical. It's allegorical. The Great Flood really happened.
And here's where the problem really comes in: wanna say it's allegorical? Okay...then the crucifixion and resurrection never really happened. And there goes christianity in the dumpster.
It's sort of like my policy when I was principal and I would preach (ahem) to the faculty: we don't lie, because as soon as they catch us in a lie, they'll never believe us again. So we tell the truth even when it hurts.
The avatar theme has permeated the spiritual fossil record from its earliest beginnings which I have interpreted as a direct sign that God's consciousness has been influencing the speculations about our purpose for our existence from the beginning. The evolution of the avatar paradigm has maintained a constant theme of a single human overcoming our animal nature (variously represented in the many myths and legends) as attaining our salvation. This seems to suggest to me that the evolution of our collective human consciousnesses (states of mind) are destined to evolve from the various manifestations of the stories whether or not they represent real physical events.

That also suggests that our true or ultimate Reality is a spiritual one and not a physical one. The physical environment is the venue in which our spiritual character or essence is formed and our spiritual development is fostered. This makes everything in our physical reality merely the spiritual stage where we enact the spiritual role in the drama of existence that each of us is destined to play. We are naturally preoccupied with the physical states and their consequences as we experience them in our consciousness so it should not be considered unusual that we are completely convinced the physical is the true Reality.

Of course, there was a time when I would have considered the previous notion of physical reality totally crazy and impossible, but my intellectual efforts have produced more than sufficient fruit to convince me otherwise. Given the abundance of evil and suffering in the "apparent" physical reality, I actually find great comfort in the concept. It would be nice to think we will ALL come out after the show and take our bows. I actually sincerely hope it is at least somewhat close to the truth.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:53 PM

Quote:
The avatar theme has permeated the spiritual fossil record from its earliest beginnings which I have interpreted as a direct sign that God's consciousness has been influencing the speculations about our purpose for our existence from the beginning. The evolution of the avatar paradigm has maintained a constant theme of a single human overcoming our animal nature (variously represented in the many myths and legends) as attaining our salvation. This seems to suggest to me that the evolution of our collective human consciousnesses (states of mind) are destined to evolve from the various manifestations of the stories whether or not they represent real physical events.

That also suggests that our true or ultimate Reality is a spiritual one and not a physical one. The physical environment is the venue in which our spiritual character or essence is formed and our spiritual development is fostered. This makes everything in our physical reality merely the spiritual stage where we enact the spiritual role in the drama of existence that each of us is destined to play. We are naturally preoccupied with the physical states and their consequences as we experience them in our consciousness so it should not be considered unusual that we are completely convinced the physical is the true Reality.

Of course, there was a time when I would have considered the previous notion of physical reality totally crazy and impossible, but my intellectual efforts have produced more than sufficient fruit to convince me otherwise. Given the abundance of evil and suffering in the "apparent" physical reality, I actually find great comfort in the concept. It would be nice to think we will ALL come out after the show and take our bows. I actually sincerely hope it is at least somewhat close to the truth.
blah, blah, blah

Old 05-29-2021, 12:00 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Several parts were meant to be taken as historical, and Daniel is one of those. It is political propaganda for the Jewish party that actually won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality