Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2019, 05:22 PM

22,256 posts, read 19,253,131 times

Advertisements

if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you? and how do you see its role for you?

this came up in another thread, someone mentioned he has an altar in his home and it got me thinking that regardless of the path a person chooses in their "religion and spirituality," even if it is "none," that many people have this common element. an altar in the home.

what does it mean to you? in your own words how do you see it? what do you like about it? in what ways is it pleasing to you?
for some it may be a remembrance of a loved one. a place of meditation. a place of stillness.

shown below is a general description of what a home altar might be. But I'd be interested in hearing specifically from those here on CD who have an altar in your home. The description below can be a springboard for what resonates with you or not in sharing how you see the altar in your home.

thank you.

"When you decide to install an altar in your home it means that you have listened to an inner calling to literally “elevate” spiritual ideals—making them a priority in your life and a focal point of your home. A home altar serves many purposes. It is:

A focal point for your devotional practices
A spiritual center of your house
A reminder of spiritual principles
A spot where the mind is dragged into the Heart
A place of spiritual power and support
A sacred space where your spiritual aspiration is nurtured and reinforced
A hub for your spiritual practice.
Therefore, it is very important to create your altar consciously and to charge it again and again through your practice and devotion. In this way, it becomes a portal to elevated states of consciousness, love and grace."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-19-2019 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 07:30 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Good question.

I wouldn't exactly call it an altar, but I have 3 Buddha statues on the top of a book shelf. On the shelf under it are the cremated remains of a pet in a small urn.

But primarily -- like Buddha statues in Thailand -- it can serve either as a reminder, or as a place to focus.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:09 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,757,440 times
Same with me. It is a reminder...and a focus.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
My house is an altar. Over the decades and the miles I've obtained several dozen objects of art scattered throughout my house and some outside of it. Paintings, wood carvings, stonework, sculptures, feathers, rocks, shells, doodads and more than a few whatchamacallits.

They connect with me and I them on an intuitive, instinctive level.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:27 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,058,855 times
My ex-wife had an altar in the house. I thought it an eccentricity that I humored because I cared for her.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:41 PM

11,117 posts, read 7,180,697 times
No altars, but some music equipment that means a lot to me!

The closest I could ever come to such an item would be something outdoors and completely natural. Something shaped by nature or God. Nothing by man could ever match that level/quality.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:32 PM

11,041 posts, read 5,997,575 times
Not exactly and alter but I have collection of gifts from my son that I regard as an altar to him. They are place around my computer screen. I remember the moments he gave them to me.

Then I have this small white box next to my bed with a photo of my late son. I don't suppose that is what was meant by 'altar'.

Both of my 'altars' have bittersweet meaning to me ( I actually lost both my sons - only one to death. The other has come back, damaged but alive).

Old 09-19-2019, 09:37 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
Th inseparable relationship of god to man

Old 09-19-2019, 09:44 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Not exactly and alter but I have collection of gifts from my son that I regard as an altar to him. They are place around my computer screen. I remember the moments he gave them to me.

Then I have this small white box next to my bed with a photo of my late son. I don't suppose that is what was meant by 'altar'.

Both of my 'altars' have bittersweet meaning to me ( I actually lost both my sons - only one to death. The other has come back, damaged but alive).
I am touched by your occasional references to your son.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:47 AM

23,182 posts, read 10,474,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you? and how do you see its role for you?

this came up in another thread, someone mentioned he has an altar in his home and it got me thinking that regardless of the path a person chooses in their "religion and spirituality," even if it is "none," that many people have this common element. an altar in the home.

what does it mean to you? in your own words how do you see it? what do you like about it? in what ways is it pleasing to you?
for some it may be a remembrance of a loved one. a place of meditation. a place of stillness.

shown below is a general description of what a home altar might be. But I'd be interested in hearing specifically from those here on CD who have an altar in your home. The description below can be a springboard for what resonates with you or not in sharing how you see the altar in your home.

thank you.

"When you decide to install an altar in your home it means that you have listened to an inner calling to literally “elevate” spiritual ideals—making them a priority in your life and a focal point of your home. A home altar serves many purposes. It is:

A focal point for your devotional practices
A spiritual center of your house
A reminder of spiritual principles
A spot where the mind is dragged into the Heart
A place of spiritual power and support
A sacred space where your spiritual aspiration is nurtured and reinforced
A hub for your spiritual practice.
Therefore, it is very important to create your altar consciously and to charge it again and again through your practice and devotion. In this way, it becomes a portal to elevated states of consciousness, love and grace."
My alter is the round oak coffee table my mom got when she got married.

Of course, I connect this to the curious wooden alter in Ezekiel's temple that was something new, and I borrow this from Jewish thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality