Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:02 AM

7,591 posts, read 4,163,667 times

Advertisements

What a nice thread, Tzaphkiel. I don't have an alter but I do have an area in my home where we explicitly state our values, expectations, and words of encouragement. This was mostly for my daughter but after reading some of the posts here, I think we are going to add some different touches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:01 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Being surrounded by images of holy entities is world wide recommended practice. It draws positive energy and protects one.

Not an altar in formal meaning, but I have large piece of palm shaped cedar wood - palm shaped because my left palm cradles onto it nicely anatomically - as a focal point for energy flow through the body. Cedar is believed by natives to be energy restoring wood.
As appreciation of Percival's The Man, The Woman and The Child, I have 3 white rocks more towards the center of my desk. they are large, small and tiny, all the same mineral and color. They are my Family representation - large Man to the right, smaller Woman to the left and little Child between them. Pure idolatry, as some would say.
To the far right, I have one and only book left displayed - The Master and Margarita. It is the best book I ever read, and I read thousands and thousands. I removed all others, they did their purpose. The Book that changed me and is always with me is still with me, at work, I just glanced at it - as I spend more time at work than at home, so its energy waves are more important here. But at home - that book is it.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:36 PM

3,830 posts, read 1,383,053 times
Our whole place is 'a little slice of heaven' , in progress**.
Our home is our families 'first church' - living as Jesus and always and often open to others and groups - consecrated to Him first.
We've hosted many 'family apostolate' meetings, and more. (we are not 'commune' people, members of a regular sunday church).
Our acreage is our 'garden of eden' - also shared with others, and features all His handiwork; wildlife, reptiles, bugs and all!
You should see how many different amazing spiders we have on this property!
Barely live-able when we first bought it, but it's coming along nicely with lotsa hard work!
**just a humble little farm house out in the country - but I do have a Fiber connection!!
What does it mean to us? It means EVERYTHING - when The Father and Son make their home with us!

Last edited by CCCyou; 09-24-2019 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 10:02 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Being surrounded by images of holy entities is world wide recommended practice. It draws positive energy and protects one.

Not an altar in formal meaning, but I have large piece of palm shaped cedar wood - palm shaped because my left palm cradles onto it nicely anatomically - as a focal point for energy flow through the body. Cedar is believed by natives to be energy restoring wood.
As appreciation of Percival's The Man, The Woman and The Child, I have 3 white rocks more towards the center of my desk. they are large, small and tiny, all the same mineral and color. They are my Family representation - large Man to the right, smaller Woman to the left and little Child between them. Pure idolatry, as some would say.
To the far right, I have one and only book left displayed - The Master and Margarita. It is the best book I ever read, and I read thousands and thousands. I removed all others, they did their purpose. The Book that changed me and is always with me is still with me, at work, I just glanced at it - as I spend more time at work than at home, so its energy waves are more important here. But at home - that book is it.
this is lovely
thank you

Old 09-25-2019, 04:43 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you?

That I’ve been heavily indoctrinated.

I can’t think for myself.

I am weak minded.

I belong to a tribe

I can list many more.

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 09-25-2019 at 04:54 AM..

Old 09-25-2019, 04:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
I have no alters but do have a couple of thrones which, in the distant past, I did find myself on my knees to.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:26 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I have no alters but do have a couple of thrones which, in the distant past, I did find myself on my knees to.
With bleach and scrubbing -brush? I'm impressed that you have Two. I only have One.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:26 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Interesting thread. I'm a little like Trout Dude in that my whole house is full of different things with spiritual significance. Since I'm fascinated by religion, I have religious themed art and many mandalas. I've long had a special altar--a simple table with a candle and objects of spiritual significance, to help me direct my focus. The objects on the altar frequently change. Sometimes even found objects, like a random feather, that hold some kind of temporary significance. It's really just a tool to signify directed intent.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:43 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
if you have an altar in your home, what does it mean to you?
That I’ve been heavily indoctrinated.
I can’t think for myself.
I am weak minded.
I belong to a tribe
I can list many more.
you are describing yourself?
that is what this thread is asking you to describe and discuss, yourself and the meaning of the altar you have in your home

Old 09-25-2019, 07:48 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality