Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 12:48 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times

Advertisements

I have never had a physical altar at home
but did consider building a kneeler once.

I find subjecting my body, in addition to my mind and spirit to The Almighty,
improves the lines of " communication."

We all have our little " reminders ".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 01:45 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I have never had a physical altar at home
but did consider building a kneeler once.

I find subjecting my body, in addition to my mind and spirit to The Almighty,
improves the lines of " communication."

We all have our little " reminders ".
Absolutely. Praying, kneeling, doing namaskar by touching your body to the ground, are all actions that purify the mind. It is an act of surrender.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:52 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
As Orthodox Christians, it's a widespread practice to have an 'icon corner' in our homes.

This is a small worship space in an Orthodox home. We are expected to pray constantly. In Orthodox spirituality, there is no separation between the Divine Liturgy and private devotion. We view the house as a consecrated place, and the center of worship in the house is the icon corner.

The icon corner is normally oriented to the east, and is located in a corner to allow prayer to be more concentrated. The icons generally include those of Christ, the Theotokos, and patron saints of the family. it's also common to have a Commemoration Book, which contains the name of both living and departed family members to be remembered in prayer.

We believe that as Orthodox Christians, we are practicing 'the faith once delivered to the saints.'

Last edited by Nearwest; 01-13-2023 at 02:24 PM..

Old 01-13-2023, 04:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
There is also an interior altar or a sacred space in the heart. It's a portable space that one can keep pure.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:59 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
Altars are for focusing meditation and energy.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I only put mine up if I don't have room mates as some people get creeped out by Pagan totems.

Old 03-20-2023, 06:11 PM

523 posts, read 245,129 times
The windowsill in front of my kitchen sink serves as an altar of sorts. I keep a couple of protective charms like a mini cast iron trivet, a small copper mug. I also keeps odds and ends from nature I pick up on my walks and change them out at the start of each solstice and equinox. Like for fall I kept a seed pod from a sweet gum tree and lovely deep red maple leaf. For winter I kept a sprig of white pine and a pinecone. Today I switched those out for some early spring flowers I found in my yard yesterday and a hatched bird egg I found last year. Summer is usually a sprig of lavender and some beach glass.

Old 04-10-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Turd Collector View Post
The windowsill in front of my kitchen sink serves as an altar of sorts. I keep a couple of protective charms like a mini cast iron trivet, a small copper mug. I also keeps odds and ends from nature I pick up on my walks and change them out at the start of each solstice and equinox. Like for fall I kept a seed pod from a sweet gum tree and lovely deep red maple leaf. For winter I kept a sprig of white pine and a pinecone. Today I switched those out for some early spring flowers I found in my yard yesterday and a hatched bird egg I found last year. Summer is usually a sprig of lavender and some beach glass.
That sounds lovely. In my alter, which is a shel in my book case, I have small figurines of Ishvara with Parvati. The two represent the world (Ishvara) and how it comes to be (Maya here represented by Parvati). It was given to me by my mother-in-law soon after i married her son. The traditional worship offering for Ishvara is leaves of the Bilva tree, as he is also worshipped as trees. I love that image.

Old 04-12-2023, 09:05 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Any "altar" in any form suitable, is a portal for a person to connect with the spiritual side.

One can create altar of his own, based on what suits him.

It is not the outer form, that counts. I tis the inner meaning and intention, attached to it.

Hence, it is good practice to have images of the holy persons placed where one dwells. Appropriate holy symbols serve the same purpose. For example, Russian ICONA. Icon.

It is, sort of, good fen shui.

One should be wearing sacred amulet, but has to be VERY careful choosing one, as wrong amulet may cause severe damage. While appropriate one, can protect a person.
Don't believe me? Look at an Orthodox Jew attire. They are covered in amulets, starting with kipa. Followed by peysah and tallit with tzitzits. Every strand has some spiritual meaning and serves some purpose..... Even just dressing in black and white does.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Any "altar" in any form suitable, is a portal for a person to connect with the spiritual side.

One can create altar of his own, based on what suits him.

It is not the outer form, that counts. I tis the inner meaning and intention, attached to it.

Hence, it is good practice to have images of the holy persons placed where one dwells. Appropriate holy symbols serve the same purpose. For example, Russian ICONA. Icon.

It is, sort of, good fen shui.

One should be wearing sacred amulet, but has to be VERY careful choosing one, as wrong amulet may cause severe damage. While appropriate one, can protect a person.
Don't believe me? Look at an Orthodox Jew attire. They are covered in amulets, starting with kipa. Followed by peysah and tallit with tzitzits. Every strand has some spiritual meaning and serves some purpose..... Even just dressing in black and white does.
hmm. didn’t protect them much did it? or are you saying Hitler gave the orthodox free pass?

Old 04-13-2023, 12:47 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
I'll pass. It will not end well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality