Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:12 PM

18,518 posts, read 9,201,444 times

Advertisements

The word "truth" means different things to different people, so to avoid miscommunication, I avoid using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 02:30 PM

465 posts, read 236,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 Just curious as it's mentioned from time to time.

If you say you know the Truth with a capital T what are you referring to?

Or if you're someone who reads the Truth on here, what does it mean to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The truth is the complete and accurate description of an event or an object. Anything else is an opinion. Majority opinion is often put forward as "the truth." This is only accurate insofar as it exactly corresponds to an event or an object.
Quote:

For example:
A right wing radio genius shot up a pizza parlor because he believed stories he heard on the radio that the pizza parlor was acting as front for a child slavery racket run by Hillary and Obama. The physical evidence indicated at the time that this actually occurred. It is therefore the truth.

That the pizza parlor was actually a front for a child sex slave racket was false.

The conclusion that all right wing radio listeners are incredible idiots is an opinion.
Let us just for the game being played today that both you and Jumbo10 are the same person.

But it is all just for fun we are always for playing little games of who are the realistic children.

They think there really might be more to that pizza place at first, but then change their mind.

They play both sides against two of who won't get caught first, that obviously a man gunned.

That a real man would go to investigate if he could to find children if he could find them fined.

But if he did not he still did the right thing having heard it elsewhere first but where was it ed.

There are species of fish who might turn a true note once in the wild, then become separated.

The "all right wing radio listeners are idiots": is there ever help for one who operates as stated.

Make it a jumbo hamburger platter next time the belly feels it is not full enough never has filled.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:50 PM

10,084 posts, read 5,001,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Just curious as it's mentioned from time to time.
I know what Truth means to Jesus according to John 17:17.
Jesus believed that Scripture is religious truth. ( thy word (Scripture) is truth )
The religious truth that Jesus teaches sets us free from what is religiously false.

Old 09-04-2017, 04:07 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Hi Jumbo with the cute topics...xxoo...this is for you...

Truth is all that can not be seen with these eyes.
It can not be heard with these ears.
Yet, it can be seen, heard, tasted and felt.
Develop the other sense that makes sense to only the few...and you will know that
The Truth will never be known, yet you can be immersed in it totally and completely and
Never be able to speak of It.
It has always been ..It is now..It will always be.
It is our Home, our Origin and our Destiny.
The Truth is the Source of everything that exists...
It has no form and yet has created all form.
It dwells in a place where there is no space or time...right here and right now.
Know complete stillness and silence and there will be Truth, the Absolute...
The One in all things....seen and not seen...with one way and many ways to access It.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:41 PM

678 posts, read 430,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
its about behavior and how we treat each other
not beliefs

its about talking to all people with respect
even the ones we disagree with

its about not talking down to people
which by the way you do a lot in the threads you start, that is my observation
Honestly, I would try not to take it personally as I don't try to do personal attacks on here. I'm sure you along with most on here know a lot more about religion than myself so that's why I ask questions. I only became interested in religion about 2 years ago.

I posted the OP because I was wondering what the Truth meant to people. People pointed out scripture (so I learned what I was wondering) and thanked people for responding.

I grew up Christian, have mostly Christian friends and family, and have questions to make sure that the world's most popular religion that I'm surrounded with isn't the correct one for me. However, I am quite influenced by Christians and my Baptist conservative friend does at times influence me when we talk about religion or politics. I'm always trying to grow personally.

What I don't get is when I post something and say something like "The Pope and some religious leaders believe in (off topic)." and your response back is to flood me with questions like:

Quote:
Are you saying that religious people don't believe in (off topic)?
That's the complete opposite of what I said. Maybe it's just a miscommunication between us as I know I'm not always that clear on here.

I'm not looking to "win" any internet forum or try to impress. The reason I go on online forums is to learn and in this case, I hope to help some people become a bit more open minded.

Last edited by Jumbo10; 09-04-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 06:58 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,103,772 times
Quote:
Just curious as it's mentioned from time to time.

The one basic truth is, We know VERY little!

IMO,
There are two kinds of it.

1 - Nature based scientific Knowledge.
This is an ongoing effort and must be continued to explore and find the truth. We should continue to strive to gain scientic knowlege that is true, and that benefits humanity.

2 - Theogical truth.
This pertains to two basic questions if we take the agnostics out of it.
A - Whether God exists?
B - Whether God does not exist.

The answer is: We don't really know!

Do we have an evidence that God does not exist? No, we don't!

Do we have an evidence that God exists? No we don't.

Why?
For starters, 7 billion people cannot unanimously agree on what and who, a true God is? Is cow a true God? Are some stone idols are true Gods? Is Sun or the Moon, the true God? Is Abrahamic God the one true God?

The truth is, we don't really know.

But we do have intelligence, based on which we can make an effort to search for truth.

For those who want to know, they use faith in an effort to know the truth.

We all have formed our faiths an effort to find the truth, and we are sticking to our faiths till the truth is revealed to us.

If God exists, the truth will be revealed to us after we die.
If God does not exist, we will never know because the death will shut everything.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:02 PM

22,621 posts, read 19,329,340 times
Quote:
Honestly, I would try not to take it personally as I don't try to do personal attacks on here. I'm sure you along with most on here know a lot more about religion than myself so that's why I ask questions. I only started getting a true interest in religion about 2 years ago.

I posted the original because I was wondering what the Truth meant to people. People pointed out scripture (so I learned what I was wondering) and thanked people for responding. I grew up Christian, have mostly Christian friends and family, and have questions to make sure that the world's most popular religion that I'm surrounded with isn't the correct one for me. However, I am quite influenced by Christians and my Baptist conservative has influenced when we talk about religion. I'm always trying to grow personally.

What I don't get is when I post something and say something like "The Pope and some religious leaders believe in (off topic)." and your response back is to flood me with questions like:

That's the complete opposite of what I said. It's probably just miscommunication between us as I know I'm not always that clear on here.
people will ask for clarification
on what you mean

and people will point out "using that logic, then this must also be true" to show what they find problematic about what you are stating, or the logic you are using

people will point out inconsistencies in both what you post and who you claim to be.
(generic you)

it has happened fairly often on this forum that people create fake "personas" posing questions to stage a dialogue or deliver a message.
some of your posts may have people wondering about that. it seems to be a popular tactic among atheists, they admit it happens and see no problem with it. not saying you do that. just describing that does happen on these boards and people can be suspicious about it.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:53 PM

678 posts, read 430,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people will ask for clarification
on what you mean

and people will point out "using that logic, then this must also be true" to show what they find problematic about what you are stating, or the logic you are using

people will point out inconsistencies in both what you post and who you claim to be.
(generic you)

it has happened fairly often on this forum that people create fake "personas" posing questions to stage a dialogue or deliver a message.
some of your posts may have people wondering about that. it seems to be a popular tactic among atheists, they admit it happens and see no problem with it. not saying you do that. just describing that does happen on these boards and people can be suspicious about it.
Your posts do seem hypocritical to me when you say it's about how we treat each other and then you say stuff like that.

You again seem very defensive even when I admit wrong doing. I don't think I can say anything without you feeling offended. I would ignore my posts if that's the case and they make you upset.

I'm trying to be humble and civil and you're basically accusing me of having multiple user names and being inconsistent and insincere. If I'm inconsistent, it's because I find religion confusing and wonder why people believe what they do. I'm not sure how many would say this, but I'm usually quick to admit I don't know everything on here.

I don't think we're getting very far, so I don't think it's worth responding to further posts of yours, but I'll say God Bless You and Everyone.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,576,493 times
Quote:
The truth is the complete and accurate description of an event or an object. Anything else is an opinion. Majority opinion is often put forward as "the truth." This is only accurate insofar as it exactly corresponds to an event or an object.

For example:
A right wing radio genius shot up a pizza parlor because he believed stories he heard on the radio that the pizza parlor was acting as front for a child slavery racket run by Hillary and Obama. The physical evidence indicated at the time that this actually occurred. It is therefore the truth.

That the pizza parlor was actually a front for a child sex slave racket was false.

The conclusion that all right wing radio listeners are incredible idiots is an opinion.
The Truth is that some people on the internet believe fake news and kill people as a result

Old 09-04-2017, 10:45 PM

465 posts, read 236,950 times
Default It's Sirius Solar business

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
The one basic truth is, We know VERY little!

[...]

If God exists, the truth will be revealed to us after we die.
If God does not exist, we will never know because the death will shut everything.
Well, gosh, it's not true that the more one studies they will not eventually see that something that small really isn't all that little.

Just a single star in sky that when it went up straight right over a certain area of land that when it hit the exact moment lentils.

That the Egyptians could know exactly when to plant crops to be harvested: Sirius star it's called re: annual flooding of the Nile.

So, it is false the more we study we will never find out how God plants the fields himself twice watered with the early and latter.

So if confusion persists as to why whole lakes are being created where cities do their business, perhaps it has to do with cattle.

That they belong to the LORD not man, to eat away the flesh, as to when man is consumed in the sockets of his eyes for villas.

Psalm 50:10~ For every beast of the forest is his, the cattle on a thousand hills, man's stolen from the LORD for blood sacrifices.

The LORD shall cleanse the Earth of everything which inhibits the handiwork of God from spreading forth as he told those animals.

"Be fruitful and multiply" the scripture has not changed that God intends to have Kingdom called his not filthy lucre ch. 1 Genesis.

There's only one religion that's right and it's the same one started out in Genesis ch. 1 that he created everything in just 6 days.

Day 7 it is finished the same way he said it was that if man wants to know where to begin from that is the place he said he rests.

Keep defying what the Lord said straight in the beginning as do so at your own behest save that all are rained upon for injustices.

"The Gospel Essene of Peace", "The Gospel of the Holy Twelve", God is a consuming fire and water is just the beginning for spaces.

Then go check out "The Egyptian Book of the Dead" and see if hell is real or if love is all God is about; well it's good to never guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality