Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 03:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,073,156 times

Advertisements

Here's an excellent post by Daqq from the Christian board that sums up what Truth is, beautifully....

Stephen says by the context, (and therefore the author, "Luke", likewise says), that the Torah contains the Living Oracles, Living Sayings, Living Words which Moses and the fathers received to give to the people:

Acts 7:37-38
37 This is that same Moshe who said to the sons of Yisrael, "YHWH your Elohim shall raise up a Prophet unto you from among your brethren, like unto me."
38 This is the one who was in the congregation in the desert, with the Messenger-Angel who spoke to him in mount Sinai, and to our fathers, who received Living Oracles [λογια ζωντα] to give to us:

λογια ζωντα = Living Oracles / Living Sayings / Living Words = the Torah

Romans 3:1-2
1 What advantage then has the Yhudi? or what is the profit of circumcision?
2 Much every way: first of all, that they were entrusted with the Oracles of Elohim [τα λογια του θεου].

τα λογια του θεου = the Oracles-Sayings-Words of Elohim(God)

Hebrews 5:12-13
12 For when by reason of the time you ought to be teachers, you rather have need again that someone teach you the rudiments of the first principles of the Oracles of Elohim, [των λογιων του θεου] and are become such as have need of milk, and not of solid food:
13 For every one partaking of milk is inexperienced in the Word of Righteousness, [λογου δικαιοσυνης] for he is a babe.

των λογιων του θεου ~ the Oracles of Elohim(God)
λογου δικαιοσυνης ~ the Word of Righteousness

And by the context:

των λογιων του θεου = λογου δικαιοσυνης

Therefore, I say, the Living Torah is the Living Testimony of the Living Father, and therefore the Living Torah is His Living Son: for Testimony is Spirit according to the Testimony of the Son, (John 6:63). And therefore those who "abolish" the Torah from their own hearts and minds do likewise at the same time "abolish" the Son of Elohim from their own hearts and minds: for the Son of Elohim is himself the Living Oracles, Living Sayings, and Living Words of Elohim which are the Torah. And because of these things having been plainly written, in manifold New Testament passages as shown above: this is the teaching of all of the Apostolic authors and their writings. In other words this is not just "my opinion" but that of Stephen, who according to the author of Acts was full of the Holy Spirit, (even saying that his face shown as that of an angel before the council, Acts 6:15), and therefore it is the "opinion" of the author of Acts, "Luke", and therefore likewise Paul, and likewise the author of the epistle to the Hebrews as shown above, and Peter likewise speaks in the same terms and manner concerning the Oracles of Elohim, (1Peter 4:11).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 03:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,646,957 times
err, does that mean the same thing as ...

we don't know how we got here and don't know what we are evolving to. But we do know that a bunch of, seemingly, non living aggregate of waves (~mystic 2017) make this volume of space alive.

if not, its less valid.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:58 AM

9,702 posts, read 10,069,375 times
Pontius Pilate the man who had Jesus killed said to Jesus ``Then you are a king , you say that I am a king`` ...Jesus said ``For this reason I was born and have come into the world to testify to the truth . Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice `` John 18:38 ............ See the absolute only truth comes from the living God

Old 09-04-2017, 06:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,646,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Pontius Pilate the man who had Jesus killed said to Jesus ``Then you are a king , you say that I am a king`` ...Jesus said ``For this reason I was born and have come into the world to testify to the truth . Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice `` John 18:38 ............ See the absolute only truth comes from the living God
yeah, he meant two levels of understanding. First level: love, compassion, and understanding. second, but no less important, Teaching/learning, reason, and common sense. these are the foundations built on the bedrock of truth.

That is what is risen. These notions are far more important than the body, the here and now, and me. The lesson of the cross. that is what he meant when he said "through me".

where I diverge from people that teach literal jesus is the notion of self sacrifice to the point of self destruction. He knew he wasn't the last so his was a personal sacrifice for the continuation of a lesson that would drown out ignorance.

Of course, he also understood the transition time between ape and whatever we make next (in 200 or less) is one of those awkward transition times. Like those other very awkward transitions of being pushed through the pelvic (birth), puberty, and death. Jesus understood time is a human construct.

hey, did I just say that without one mention of a god thing? or claiming there is no god thing? oh yeah, I am just an atheists. An irreligious atheist.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,109,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Just curious as it's mentioned from time to time.

If you say you know the Truth with a capital T what are you referring to?

Or if you're someone who reads the Truth on here, what does it mean to you?
Truth, in that context, shouldn't be capitalized, as that would not be grammatically correct. My guess is that anyone who tries to sell it as anything else probably isn't looking for truth in the first place.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM

22,733 posts, read 19,389,030 times
Quote:
Just curious as it's mentioned from time to time.
If you say you know the Truth with a capital T what are you referring to?
Or if you're someone who reads the Truth on here, what does it mean to you?
people who claim they have The Truth or know The Way
generally are indicating an absolute intolerance for anything that is not their own personal set of beliefs.

they tend to TALK AT people, but are not very good at LISTENING TO others

they are very zealous about expounding upon their views endlessly, but have very little desire inclination willingness or ability to understand other views
"its all about them" "it's my Way or the highway" "i'm right and everyone else is wrong"
the subtext implication is that if you have different beliefs than their Truth, then you are a liar; if you don't follow their Way, then you are lost and will never get anywhere.

whereas if someone says "this is true for me"
or "this is the way that works for me"
then there is more likely to be an actual exchange of ideas where each person talks, each person listens, resulting in a higher prevalence of understanding, respect, clarity, and actual substance to the conversation.

"it's about both of us" "you have your way i have my way" "we disagree but now i understand more about your view"
the subtext implication is that if "this is true for me" then "you know what is true for you"
the subtext implication is that "this works for me" but "you decide what works for you"

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-04-2017 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM

678 posts, read 431,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people who claim they have The Truth or know The Way
generally are indicating an absolute intolerance for anything that is not their own personal set of beliefs.

they tend to TALK AT people, but are not very good at LISTENING TO others

they are very zealous about expounding upon their views endlessly, but have very little desire inclination willingness or ability to understand other views
"its all about them" "it's my Way or the highway" "i'm right and everyone else is wrong"
the subtext implication is that if you have different beliefs than their Truth, then you are a liar; if you don't follow their Way, then you are lost and will never get anywhere.

whereas if someone says "this is true for me"
or "this is the way that works for me"
then there is more likely to be an actual exchange of ideas where each person talks, each person listens, resulting in a higher prevalence of understanding, respect, clarity, and actual substance to the conversation.

"it's about both of us" "you have your way i have my way" "we disagree but now i understand more about your view"
the subtext implication is that if "this is true for me" then "you know what is true for you"
the subtext implication is that "this works for me" but "you decide what works for you"
You confuse me Tzaphkiel I really enjoy reading some of your posts like this one. But then others it seems like you feel under attack, get defensive and have a grudge. Maybe that's a wrong assessment?

Old 09-04-2017, 01:43 PM

22,733 posts, read 19,389,030 times
Quote:
You confuse me Tzaphkiel I really enjoy reading some of your posts like this one. But then others it seems like you feel under attack, get defensive and have a grudge. Maybe that's a wrong assessment?
its about behavior and how we treat each other
not beliefs

its about talking to all people with respect
even the ones we disagree with

its about not talking down to people
which by the way you do a lot in the threads you start, that is my observation

Old 09-04-2017, 01:49 PM

691 posts, read 422,454 times
for the sake of understanding, Truth can be likened to Level. a thing is either level or it is not, almost level is simply another way of saying not quite level. truth is as raw as putting water in a freezing place you will then have ice.

makes my head hurt sometimes.... like a jam up lol

Old 09-04-2017, 02:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,286,629 times
Quote:
Don't take it personally, Jumbo. Some people aren't happy until they've picked everyone else's nit.

Meanwhile, their head is crawling with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality