Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 10:58 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,630,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I remember a ship carrying people from Katrina being destroyed. I don't blame him for not wanting a church destroyed. He has a responsibility to the church members to preserve their place of worship.

The very people you claim will destroy the church are the people losing their homes. They are the very people who give to his church . Houston is drowning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Jeff

Yesterday I was thinking that you have not been on this forum lately and was hoping all is well with you. Yes Katrina taught several lessons, the other one is to rescue pets along with their people. I mostly agree with your last paragraph. People may look at Osteen harsh because he has gotten so rich off of religion.
I always keep a good thought for Jeff, too.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:02 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,345,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I always keep a good thought for Jeff, too.
That doesn't count. You have good thoughts for everyone. 😊😀

And cookies

Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,459,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I'm not going to rush to judge Osteen here because I don't know all the facts. If the church building could truly be a safe haven then Osteen is clearly in the wrong and failing at the most important commandment, to love and help others. Sitting cozy in a million dollar home and tweeting out a quick message telling people to pray comes off pretty callous.
Well, I can't judge him, either, or anyone!
I don't know his heart about this. I don't have all the facts....but even then I wouldn't condemn him if he
had questionable reasons.
I might not go to his church anymore...but, I'm not going to bash him.
I know Jews that love him and watch him regularly...he resonates with many and has brought more people to God than I have!

That being said, I'm not saying he is perfect or always makes the right decisions according to 'me'.
We don't even know if he has given $1000s to some fund...we know very little...nor really is it our business.
(I personally don't care much what he or Hagee for that matter do...none of my business.)
Btw, I can't even judge Pres Trump...I have my opinions...but hey, he is him...I am 'me' and
we both have our own relationship to God.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,076,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
We could, Fundie but here's where we non-Christians have a massive problem with your kind of thinking:

Where is your God in all this??? Why isn't He looking out for His people??? Why is God allowing a false preacher who preaches a false gospel to millions upon millions upon millions of Christians and leading them down the road to hell and not stepping in to stop Osteen and protect His children???? Why are false Christian pastors the leading representative of the biggest churches in America? Rick Warren, leader of the biggest church in America had this to say about fundamentalists like yourself:
Why exactly would you think that God's people listen to the likes of Osteen or Warren? The message those guys preach doesn't speak to Christians. It speaks primarily to people that just want their ears tickled. They aren't trying to provide serious Bible teaching to build up God's church -- they have a stated goal of reaching those that don't know God.
Quote:

Jesus said "a house divided against itself cannot stand. It will fall." Your house and Osteen's house and Warren's house are all divided against each other. Won't Christianity surely fall as Jesus predicted? Or is Jesus wrong? Or am I wrong--Christianity is NOT divided even though we see all these gaping schisms among the various groups of Christians who think completely differently from each other?

What it boils down to is each megapastor simply tailors his message to the particular needs of his congregation and that's why people flock to different churches. Don't like what Warren at Saddleback teaches? Simply switch to Lakewood to get your prosperity message.

And in all this chaos where is God? He simply doesn't care. He allows these wolves to lead his church into the fires of hell and just twiddles His thumbs and watches and moans, "What can I do? They have free will. I can't violate their free will. I'll have to let them make their bed in the fires of hell and then send them there when they die." But of course God doesn't send them there--they send themselves there by rejecting the one true gospel, right?

Some God you got there.
It could be that Osteen and Warren are not of our house.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:16 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,886,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The city of Houston was not even ordered to evacuate. No one predicted a disaster on this scale so I don't think it's fair to criticize Olsteen for not having a plan in place.

As I pointed out, my church in Honolulu had a plan in place. The Mormons in New Orleans had a plan in place. The Salvation Army had a plan in place.

Every congregation should have a plan in place to help at least it's own members in case of predictable emergencies (just as individual families should have short-term emergency plans).

Failing to plan is a fault for which, yes, they can be blamed because looking after their own congregations in dire times is a scriptural mandate.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why exactly would you think that God's people listen to the likes of Osteen or Warren? The message those guys preach doesn't speak to Christians. It speaks primarily to people that just want their ears tickled. They aren't trying to provide serious Bible teaching to build up God's church -- they have a stated goal of reaching those that don't know God.

It could be that Osteen and Warren are not of our house.
Your house? Christianity has many houses. From mega churches to small 200 year old churches.

The mega church opened their doors today. They join the Houston Mosques in this effort. It is a good thing.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:23 AM

18,255 posts, read 16,979,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So what's your God like? Does he not like people? Is he into bashing others? That's the impression you're giving off.
Hmmm...you don't know me very well, do you. Everybody around here know's my reputation. I am vehemently anti-Christian--and I used to be a fundamentalist Christian...until I discovered through research that the whole house of cards called Christianity was built on lies about a mythical figure. There's no historical proof for Jesus, but we won't get into that. Read some of my threads--if you dare!

My God, the true deist God, is a God who created the universe and created life on earth, set natural laws in motion to govern everything and then stepped back and allowed natural law to run everything. He doesn't get involved...that's why prayers never get answered and why we never see any manifestations of God, Jesus or the spiritual world in our earthly domain. It's all woo, good feelings generated by a person's emotions which they interpret to be the Holy Spirit moving within them. It's all phony as a 3-dollar bill.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:28 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,616,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Your house? Christianity has many houses. From mega churches to small 200 year old churches.

The mega church opened their doors today. They join the Houston Mosques in this effort. It is a good thing.
Yea, all it took was a ton of public shaming to get him to do the right thing..... Great guy there.....

Old 08-29-2017, 11:29 AM

52,923 posts, read 34,751,425 times
fake news, but funny:
Joel Osteen Sails Luxury Yacht Through Flooded Houston To Pass Out Copies Of 'Your Best Life Now'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality